PDA

View Full Version : triplets?

tracatak
27-07-2004, 11:04 PM
is it better for techno to wriet in 16 steps or 12...some1 showed me about triplets ???? where it goes liek this k-- k-- k-- k-- instead of
k---k---k---k---

DJZeMigL
27-07-2004, 11:23 PM
I would say percution goes 16th but other stuff like the sounds can go as crazy as u want.

Z

rounser
28-07-2004, 05:38 AM
From what I gather, triplets is fitting three equidistant notes in the space you'd normally fit two if it was quantised. Your sequencer should have a 16T quantise setting for that...I think nu style gabber (and garage?) use it in particular from memory...

TechMouse
28-07-2004, 09:39 AM
From what I gather, triplets is fitting three equidistant notes in the space you'd normally fit two if it was quantised.

It means instead of dividing up a bar into 16th's, it is divided into 12th's - i.e. each beat is divided into 3 segments rather than 4.

Think "Traktion Action" by Luke Slater, "Bodyrock" by Andy C & Shimon, and "6-8 War" by Leftfield.

professor
28-07-2004, 02:27 PM
triplets have only three notes...with the accent on the first: trip-o-let, accent on the "trip"

RichieV
28-07-2004, 03:40 PM
all a triplet means is fitting 3 notes in the space of 2 . The accent does'nt have to be on the first , thats totally up to you.

as far as what to use for music , that is as well totally up to you. The more you swing something ( turn the eight notes from straight 8ths to triplet 8ths ) the more it will groove. Thats what the swing function in cubase is for.

But groove is more complicated than just swinging the eighth notes. Groove is about placing certain notes behind the beat or ahend of the best so you won't eaxactly hear it but you will feel it.

Alot of funk drummers for example will play the back beat ( 2 and 4 ) just a bit behind the beat so the beat sounds really laid back and heavy.

As far as in techno , i have yet to hear a song that everything is quantised to a triplet feel . Usually some elements are straight 8ths while some other elements have been quantised to swing just a bit.

tracatak
28-07-2004, 11:41 PM
is that why when i do a basic kick hi hat beat with compression..it doesnt give me the hard techno feel i want...i layer liek 4 kicks...and hve seperate compressd setting for each percussinon-hit ..i thought i had to sidechaing somethinsg as well adn that doestn get the effect i want,,,some1 told me i gota jsut layer shit n layer more shit to get that effect?...should i post an example again ...of what i enjoy ...and what id like to shoot for (NOT COPY)...ty

SORRY SO RANDOM

DJZeMigL
29-07-2004, 02:10 AM
please post example of what U want 2 achieve!

Z

tracatak
29-07-2004, 11:34 PM
lets see if this werks...

http://www.bangingtunes.com/play.asp?ItemID=4X4X19&Side=A

my main problem...still =)....is how to get that main sequence going..whether u call it shuffle, or the throbbig sound...or chugging like a train..lol i think we all hear it different a lil....

tracatak
29-07-2004, 11:39 PM
can u break down what each thing is doing (in the song posted above) (please)..is the kick just delayd every other beat or every beat...i mean i alwys hear the percussion and the kick doing the same thing..liek same pattern ..etc or is the compression causing the kick to do that..throb liek that..im sure its way simpler then im thinking it is..and its a combo of things that all come togehter so well...i feel liek i been barking up the wrong tree forever...trying to achieve what i want...hehe =(

RichieV
30-07-2004, 05:28 AM
this is what i hear

x0xx

x being the kick
the last 2 are ghosted so you don't really hear it just feel it. The might be a little bit of swing quantization but it does sound pretty straight to me

tracatak
31-07-2004, 12:44 AM
cool thanks...but i must ask.....does x0xx mean the kick is doing that b-cuz of delay, compression, side chains, or is it the ghost kick thing u sugested (or maybe just step written that way..) ..if so how do u make a ghost kick? also any one know how to do swing quantize on fruity loops...can some1 explain swing quantize...does that create a groove or something? thanks...yes i realize ima charity case also..heh..ty...for helping me ..good karma all around
.jay

RichieV
31-07-2004, 05:14 AM
all ghosting means is a when you can barely hear the note but you can really feel it.
Usually the term is used for drummers when they play ghost notes on the snare.

As far as the kick pattern , my guess is that the notes are just sequenced that way . With the first kick loud and the 2 last ones softer

278d7e64a374de26f==