PDA

View Full Version : studio foam

heavy beats
27-07-2004, 11:39 PM
ever since I moved my studio setup from the corner of the room to the center, i've been having problems with my mixdown.... especially the kick and bass. it's just way too loud.... but when i'm sitting directly in front of the mixer and monitors. it sounds just fine.

with my new setup, i have the mixing desk about 15 inchs away from the wall and my speakers on 42 inch stands directly behind it. there's not much room between the speakers and the wall, but it was about that close when i had my set up in the corner of the room and it sounded just fine.

so I came to the conclusion that maybe some studio foam will fix my problem. have any of you purchased or fix any problems like this with the foam? any help is appreciated.

cheers

h.

Evil G
28-07-2004, 12:18 AM
if you are getting bass cancellation in the new arrangement, that would make it sound quieter, encouraging you to mix it too loud. putting up some auralex bass traps can fix that.

but note that having your speakers in the corner makes them essentially twice as loud as against the wall, so if you were used to that, you are probably cranking it harder now to get it to sound the same. once you get used to the new placement, your mixes should sort themselves.

heavy beats
28-07-2004, 12:26 AM
yes, i am cranking them harder. cause ill see the light come on, on my mackies and i'll turn it back down. yet it doesnt seem as loud as they were before when it use to sit in the corner..

Jimfish
28-07-2004, 01:06 AM
Hmm, if you really cant figure it out draw us a lil' diagram of your room and a pic of your setup.. im sure it will be a simple cure..

heavy beats
28-07-2004, 01:07 AM
ok, give me some time.... i will when i get home.

heavy beats
28-07-2004, 08:29 PM
http://www.lockedgrooves.com/henry/pics/room_layout.jpg

DJZeMigL
29-07-2004, 02:05 AM
Damn' I don't think I got much chance, unless u get some corner bass traps, some thick blankets 10cm away from the wall... and maybe some defration pannels!

U got 3 probs...
One speaker is agains a corner which sort of amplifies the bass by somethin like 12 db

Each side of the stereo field will have a different response cause each speaker is placed differently and has different object/ walls/ obsticles close 2 it!

Speakers 2 close 2 the wall ... early refletions are 2 fast thus integrated in the sound, i.e. actively changing the sounds character!!

Z

heavy beats
29-07-2004, 05:43 AM
any other suggestions on what I can do to kill the bass

xfive
29-07-2004, 08:53 PM
Why not just shift the whole thing over to the left a bit closer to the tv, and centering it all on that wall. That should help get the right speaker out of the corner... besides.... screw a TV :)
Toss it if there's no room :lol:

Evil G
29-07-2004, 08:57 PM
besides.... screw a TV :)
Toss it if there's no room :lol:

word!

Jimfish
29-07-2004, 10:16 PM
woah,
bitch of a room, like ZM said youve got some horrid problems in there..

get that right hand speaker the **** out of that corner - you are going to have a seriously uneven bass response from that for starters. As the big man said you are going to be looking at somthing like an extra 12db on the right. Ive heard setups like this and they dont sound good.

The wonky shape of the room is going to cause a couple of other nasty bass traps by the door and the bed. And the stereo imaging is going to be mashup unless you can get a bit of symettry somewhere.. id move the tv to the foot of the bed and get the setup slap bang in the middle of that wall section or maybe in fornt of the window there.

But dude, unless you try and get a symetrical space around the speakers you may as well sell the mackies as right now they sound more like a hundreds quids worth of shitty hifi speakers...

:cry:

heavy beats
29-07-2004, 10:20 PM
i dont have that much room. my studio use to be where that tv is, but i had a different desk and it was very uncomfortable. I really like the new configuration, but something needs to happen with the basss..

if i shift it over, then the bass would bounce off of different walls maybe i can put a board at a 45 degree angle in that corner where the right speaker sits. dont know if that'll help keep the bass out of the corners...

heavy beats
29-07-2004, 10:46 PM
somehow i was able to squeeze a nice sound when i had my setup where the tv was. =\

heavy beats
29-07-2004, 10:49 PM
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=040729144836068091102028518249/g=rec/search/detail/base_pid/422602/

do you think it'll help if i filled the walls up with these suckers?

Tyrisia
29-07-2004, 10:50 PM
I had one of my speakers in the corner for ages, got used to it, and when I moved to the center of the room it sounded soooo weird, but once I got used to it it was MUCH better.

Jimfish
30-07-2004, 01:39 AM
your still gonna get freaky stereo imaging which will do your nut.. just try your hardest to think about making the room as symetrical as possible either side of the working area..

Jimfish
30-07-2004, 01:47 AM
****! those auralex kits cost about 10 times that over here!!!

for $99 mate you cant do any harm!

heavy beats
30-07-2004, 02:56 AM
think they'll work?

DJZeMigL
31-07-2004, 01:23 PM
U can get some bass corner traps, which will make it a little better... fill every bleedin' corner with that... It might b a little expensive though...

Z

jesus
31-07-2004, 02:20 PM
use this http://www.acoustics101.com/images/consult.pdf someone replies with your best room setup.

heavy beats
03-08-2004, 04:00 AM
i moved the right speaker over to the left just a little bit and it sounds much better now. that corner totally made it sound dodgy. I still get a lot of sound bouncing from the back wall, but i'll just double check my mixes with headphones for now.

278d7e64a374de26f==