PDA

View Full Version : audience

Evil G
29-07-2004, 11:39 PM
i saw on another board somebody ranting about music producers being too technical. he said, "i'm not making music for the 3% of people who understand what i'm doing..."

i thought it was funny because i don't know how you can "play down" to people without it turning into cheezy crap. even though most people don't listen very hard, and don't understand everything that's going on, i try to pretend like they do, and make the best tunes i can. if nobody understands it in the end, c'est la vie.

xfive
30-07-2004, 12:16 AM
That's about the stupidest thing I've heard in a while :shock:
There are some crazy production techniques involved in making even the most accessible music...
What crack was this person smoking :bash:

The best is when those 3% of the people DO realize what you are doing and tell you such.. it makes it even that much more pleasureable and rewarding to make :)
That doesn't mean that no one else can enjoy it though.

dirty_bass
30-07-2004, 01:12 AM
Even the most plastic, throwaway, dirge in the pop charts, has a phenominal amount of technical work put into it.
Man, just making people like britney sound good, after they have murdered a mic, is pure studio genius.
No wonder she mimed the way through her world tour.

Tyrisia
30-07-2004, 01:48 AM
A good example of good, nay great production (and my fav reference track) is DJ Shufflemaster's EXP, which is little more than a distorted drum loop, low bass, high pass filter and flanger, but by god it sounds amazing! If the little subtle distortions, careful shaping of sounds and sound selection, excellent bass drum etc hadn't been so carefully produced, it would have been poo and boring.

Sorry, that was really just an excuse to tell u all how much I love that track! :lol:

RichieV
30-07-2004, 05:32 AM
crazy production is'nt always apparant.
Part of what makes production good is how seamless it is and how it just fits.

i think what the individual in question was referring to is perhaps overused producing effects that don't really fit and are only used to wow producers that know what is going on

RichieV
30-07-2004, 05:32 AM
of course over used techniques don't really wow producers so who knows

FILTERZ
30-07-2004, 11:54 AM
I agree with him actually, recently one of my friends daughters who is 17
said to me that, wow i really like this tune, it meant more to me in a way than someone saying "i love what you have done with the filters darling"
or "how did you make that fabulous reversed reverb effect" its simply devine. That seems to be the trouble with dance music, its all about production and hardly about music. ;)

twizted
30-07-2004, 02:42 PM
I find that usually the most simple sounding tracks are the best.

you know the old saying 'too many cooks spoil the broth'

well its kinda like that when youre producing. you have to reach a conclusion to a track,
draw a line somewhere. going over the top,adding too many samples e.t.c just ruins it.

DJZeMigL
31-07-2004, 01:39 PM
I think we r worring 2 much!

1 day the "musician/ wacky man goes in the studio... I just lay sounds/ sequences and stuff...

The next day the "technicial" comes in and fixes mixes, leves, eq, dynamics, etc...

In the end the music retains the feeling and is as best as technically possible...

Of its technically amazing or just :( I do not care 'cause I know I've donne the best I could 2 make sound good a track that I like!!

Z

278d7e64a374de26f==