PDA

View Full Version : hardware or software

Tiptoe
01-08-2004, 11:07 AM
As a beginner which do you think would be best for me to save for. I know all the various software programmes but if i went the hardware route what type of basic things would i need. Thaks in advance.

messyfuture
01-08-2004, 07:26 PM
i like my hardware, but its a personal choice,

if you are going to go the hardware route you should get a decent desk, mackies always do the job.
I would be lost without my sampler and probably one of the most used bits of kit i own.
Then I would probably get some sort of sound module or keyboard, nords or an virus

the list could go on forever........................................... .....

RichieV
01-08-2004, 10:17 PM
Go software

With hardware , you either go big or go home.

rounser
02-08-2004, 02:41 AM
If you go software, seriously consider getting two monitors (computer monitors I mean, although studio monitors are a really top idea too).

CRTs are really cheap right now (you'll need a video card which supports two monitors, or an additional PCI video card as well), and I had no idea how much of a difference it makes when you double how much you can see and manipulate at any one time, without the mental barrier of flipping between windows...

hiroprotagonist
02-08-2004, 10:03 AM
if youre a hands on learner go hardware. nothing compares to the tactile feel of manipulating the sound. its also a little easier (for me) to understand what im doing rather than looking at a 2d picture representation of the synth on a screen
if youre not a hands on person definetly go software. you get more bang for your buck. be prepared to be frustrated for a while. itll take some time to really get the hang of the setup and how everything works together.

professor
02-08-2004, 01:49 PM
both.

FILTERZ
02-08-2004, 03:18 PM
both.

yep , i reckon this is right , most people who use hardware usually control it all with pieces of software anyway and a computer is a piece of hardware anyway

detfella
02-08-2004, 03:51 PM
both, either or neither

DJZeMigL
02-08-2004, 04:49 PM
Which ever way u go U just Get yerself a good set of studio Monitors!!!

Z

azerom04
02-08-2004, 05:33 PM
And a good soundcard.

The Divide
02-08-2004, 09:29 PM
My advice is to get a bad ass pc. Top of the spec self built mean machine (pro soundcard and monitors). Work with it and learn how to make music with it.

Then 2 years later buy some hardware and kit a studio up around it.

The Divide
02-08-2004, 09:31 PM
Get a good room too!!

Never underestimate your room acoustics.

dan the acid man
02-08-2004, 09:53 PM
My advice is to get a bad ass pc. Top of the spec self built mean machine (pro soundcard and monitors). Work with it and learn how to make music with it.

Then 2 years later buy some hardware and kit a studio up around it.

good advice

sash
02-08-2004, 11:47 PM
get heaps of "DEMO" software and only use the presets j/k ;)

dirty_bass
03-08-2004, 12:12 AM
Software. It`s cheaper, and you`ll grow with it.
Hardware is costly, especially to get enough to get a professional output.
Good Nearfield monitors and a good soundcard.

massplanck
05-08-2004, 01:31 PM
Its too easy these days to have 20 VST synths on your machine which you will never have the time to learn inside out. Save up for a year and buy a Virus and goddam it your are going to force yourself to get the best out of it.

At the very least get a small piece of hardware (an electribe) to have by your side and use with your pc. Software is good but for christs sake buy a hardware 'instrument' for the hands on side of things!

sash
10-08-2004, 12:25 AM
haha who changed my post? i was just kiddin ;)

dirty_bass
10-08-2004, 02:15 AM
Who cares.
The sound coming out of the speakers is paramount.
All processes that lead to the sound are just tools.
Hardware or software, it doesn`t matter.
Heart and Soul are the important factors.

rounser
10-08-2004, 03:04 AM
Wow...just how incredibly good is Ableton Live 4? :love: :love: :love:

I'm so tempted to reach for my credit card... :doh:

Jimfish
10-08-2004, 01:18 PM
Ive been using a lot more software until recently. I didnt have a mackie mixer in the studio but ive got one again now (thanks fatboy) and F*CK does it make a big difference - its got me into making music again - up till now i had made only 5-6 track this year - now im back on it hard. I even play an mp3 of an old track through the thing and it sounds better!!
And then there is my Urei Eq and Akai filter both of which really sound alive a nothing like whats in the computer. Also got this little microkorg which is great fun for peeing about on.

Anyway, to start with yeah soft is probably best to learn on. But make sure you invest in monitors - spend as much as you can possibly afford!
Eventually you will naturally want to start thinking hardware when you go into shops and demo good bits of kit and start to hear the difference.

massplanck
10-08-2004, 05:21 PM
Who cares.
The sound coming out of the speakers is paramount.
All processes that lead to the sound are just tools.
Hardware or software, it doesn`t matter.
Heart and Soul are the important factors.

The problem is that I cant get a computer running software to interpret my heart and soul these days.
With hardware I can just close my ****ing eyes and play it like a musical instrument. Rather than stress over tedious bullshit i'd rather pick up something like a guitar and let it flow. **** sitting in an office all day staring at monitor an then doing the same for the rest of the night when you get home.

We should stop thinking of ourselves as producers, more like musicians.

Thats why a lot of stuff stinks lately I think.

ps: I find computers good for loads of things like your sampling and arranging in cubase but **** me alot people with 'musical' talent are having their wings clipped when someone says just use Reason.

Use everything.

dirty_bass
10-08-2004, 06:13 PM
Erm, can you play techno with your eyes closed.

Cool.

I`m gonna go down to Leicester square tube with my Juno 106 and busk some techno. :lol:

massplanck
10-08-2004, 06:31 PM
Erm, can you play techno with your eyes closed.

Cool.

I`m gonna go down to Leicester square tube with my Juno 106 and busk some techno. :lol:

Nice 1 for killing a half decent discussion.

dirty_bass
10-08-2004, 06:43 PM
I think it`s a little pointless really.
It`s like the old, "If I buy this piece of kit, it will make me a better musician" thing.
OR buying a more expensive guitar will make you a better guitarist.
I have a mate who works as a very high level producer in big studios.
He also sells software to said studio`s.
He mostly works with software these days, as this is the way things are going.
But he likes playing with hardware for the hands on.

At the end of the day, it is talent, commitment, experience, and passion, that will determine whether you make good music or not.

Oh, and good monitors. :lol:

gustavo
10-08-2004, 07:45 PM
how much $ have u got ?

its good to have a balance betwen hardw. and softw.
i think monitors souncard mixer + some hardw kits can make a big difference , but u have to afford it.

Miromiric
10-08-2004, 08:37 PM
At the end of the day, it is talent, commitment, experience, and passion, that will determine whether you make good music or not.

Oh, and good monitors. :lol:

nothing more, nothing less.

andres-tek
18-08-2004, 08:21 AM
Software
+
Audiophile 2496
+
Studio Monitors
+
MIDI Controller

No more...

Basil Rush
18-08-2004, 01:09 PM
With my working habits I can't see much difference between a software synth and a hardware modelling synth, other than that when you load a tune up with a software synth everything is how you left it.

Especially if you have something like a remote 25 or some other controller keyboard with lots of programmable knobs.

However software reverb tends to suck a lot. For dance music I could live with software compression unless there's vocals to be done in which case there's nothing like a really posh compressor.

Software flangers and phasers and things are getting really good, I still occasionally use a Roland Dimension D because I can't find a software chorus plugin I really like ...

I reckon decent hardware EQ would be amazing but how many channels would you need unless you were prepared to commit and bounce the EQ settings down ...

torres28
18-08-2004, 06:02 PM
Get two pcs,and ALL the vst possible,never learn about compressors and programming,just use the presets and try to imitate your favourite records with the vsts until you reckon it sounds like crap and you will be the rookie of the year. :doh:

278d7e64a374de26f==