PDA

View Full Version : ADWARE/SPYWARE

sinner
31-10-2002, 08:53 AM
Its a truly horrible problem, but its quite easily dealt with after the initial effort

The first part, is downloading and installed adaware from www.lavasoft.de . Ad aware scans your drives and registry for adware and various spyware elements and removes them from your drives. Sometimes though, such as with kazaa, the program will not work after you have removed the spyware.

A good anti virus program is a MUST, especially if you are brave enough to download software off things like p2p file sharing services. I cringe at the thought of running software gathered from a place like kazaa, even with an up to date anti virus setup

The third part, I use a program called zone alarm pro for. While it has many functions, I mostly use it to not let applications I havent specified net access too, try and contact things on the internet. Sometimes its quite benign, such as winamp, which has no reason to use the network unless im grabbing a music stream off the net, and it also does really well at stopping things such as popup ads, annoying scripts, and ads on web pages that take forever to load and make you just sit there.

Im not happy that I have to go through all of this, but I can run my machine without a constant worry that its going to ruin my day any more than usual

Mike

You go in hard, and you go in fast.

aggressor
31-10-2002, 04:24 PM
yes that is good common sence advice. I use Norton Personal Firewall to deny access to the web for certain programs such as DivX Playa (the early versions don't have adware by the way)

I think that the only way to surf safely these days is from behind a good firewall, but you must still use your head. Avoid sw such as Kazaa or Bear Share I have heard these are the worst....

MARKEG
31-10-2002, 06:37 PM
Has anyone noticed this problem recently?
Edited by: markeg3000 at: 10/31/02 12:42:45 am

miromiric.
01-11-2002, 04:21 AM
i don`t use any anti-virus, i surf with no firewall, i download software all the time and i never had a virus. and so what if i get one? i`ll format the disk. big deal!

StoQ
15-04-2004, 12:56 PM
make sure u have image of partition on cd or another drive. U can restore the whole system with instaled software, and ur settings. I use Norton Ghost 2004, and it works fine

Ps. this topic is really old but i'm reading all posts starting with the oldest ones, and i felt i need to write hhihhi... ok i'm stopping this crap hihi :)

Kevin Gorman
15-04-2004, 02:21 PM
i use Norton 2004 for anti-virus, and i use a hardware firewall inside my router. for spyware/adware removal i use Spybot http://www.safer-networking.org/

Martin Dust
18-04-2004, 12:57 PM
I've just spent 8hrs cleaning up someone elses machine, 98% CPU power take up by exe/dialers/spyware - some of it so deep it took an age to find it all - several of the exe's looking for each other and if one was missing the spawned new ones - bastards.

I recommend:
Norton Anti-Virus - Keeps you up to date but wont clean up spyware.
Ad-aware - good but not that good at getting the deep stuff out.
Spybot - Very good at getting the nasty shite out.
Zone-Alarm - A royal pain to start with but once you teach it what's safe it really does work wonders. When I switched the firewall on, the machine was attacked with 2 mins of going on the net.

You can get all the above from Tucows...

dJpZ
18-04-2004, 03:31 PM
Ps. this topic is really old but i'm reading all posts starting with the oldest ones, and i felt i need to write hhihhi... ok i'm stopping this crap hihi :)

I dont see the prob of pushing forward the old posts as far it's interessant.

Personnaly, i put on cdr all my important stuff, but this software (ghost) ur speaking about is a good idea.

Music Maniak
19-04-2004, 09:32 AM
Yeah, thanx for the information, this should avoid a lot of problems....

gustavo
19-04-2004, 09:34 PM
well

regardless of all the security u can have (looking at computer prices(ex:u can buy yrself a goodnetpc 4 like 1000euros (everything incl ups)
its still arisk when u have original tcks and samples n stuff

so i prefer to have a daw(not connected to the net) without antivirus
cuz works faster

and have a pcnet with all the antivirus firewalls etc

my point is this way u get a better system
less probs(u eliminate a lot of unnecessary system components etcetc)
---audiotuning
less conflicts ,less risk of stopping production to "clean up"
so on...

278d7e64a374de26f==