PDA

View Full Version : Anyone give feedback on this?

scotttechfunk
01-08-2004, 06:49 PM
(Originally posted in wrong forum)...

I'm slowly getting there with my track, thanks to this forum I've learnt some neat tricks for dirtying it up, I think it sounds a bit tooo dirty at the moment maybe a bit overdistorted, but anyway would really welcome feedback on it - it's not a full track, only the first minute or so. I'm having a bit of trouble with compression, see I have most of my drum parts and my bassline going through a group channel which is then compressed via an external 3630. The trouble is, when I take the bassline out, the volume of all the resulting parts increases (most noticable at 0.29secs). I've tried sticking a limiter on there but am obviously not doing it right. Is this a common problem? Or have I done something dodgy with my routing / compression?!

Anyway, the track is here if anyone wants to take a listen...

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/scottmush/techno/thecontradiction_beat2.mp3

messyfuture
01-08-2004, 07:04 PM
i really like your percussion on that, it rolls nicley

you could try routing just your bass and kick into the compressor and maybe just eq the rest of the percussion or i bit of delay on some of it just to make move a bit more

romelpotter
01-08-2004, 07:41 PM
porblem is when you compress drums and bass togeather, the bass line is trigoring the compressor more than the perc, so when the bass drops, then the compresser eases off and the volume increases, what you can do is reduse the level of the bass line within the group so that it is not as high in the mix before the group gets compressed, or lower your compression levels, play around with it, alter the compression ratio's. there is a few posts about this in the production forum (this is just the filz section) you may have to dig around for them though. best way i find is to play, hear the compression working. by the way ****in cool track, the levels are not as bad as you think, the ammount it increases by when the bass drops sound ok, but keep working on it i would like to hear the finished version. nice one mate. :lol: :lol:

The Overfiend
01-08-2004, 07:45 PM
Over compression, but this track is really, really, really good man.
Bright future indeed.

scotttechfunk
01-08-2004, 08:21 PM
Bright future indeed.

You don't know how encouraging it is to hear that...! Thank you. Thanks for all the comments fellas, glad you all seemed to like it. I'm gonna go digging for more posts on compression. Ramelpotter, thanks for the info on why the levels were changing - I'll look into that now. It could be my beginners ignorance, but I find that when I compress all my drum and percussion parts through one group channel it brings all the parts together in a way that I'm finding hard to replicate with just EQing, know what i mean? It's like some of the parts of the percussion sound 'detached' from the rest of the beat. Does that make sense? As I say, it's probably just my lack of technical ability resulting in that.

eyes without a face
01-08-2004, 11:05 PM
i used to get that problem myself, the volume increase at any bass cuts, and it really used to get me down, but with a bit more study on EQ, levels and compression then you'l learn to overcome it.

i like the track, its gud altho it sounds a bit centered to me, and everything sounds a little low in the mix for my liking, id personally bring everything up a bit more and add a touch more mid to the kick and the track as a whole

but yes indeedy its a good track, nice and dark!

Tyrisia
01-08-2004, 11:44 PM
I like this kinda "soft but hard" production - this is very good! The compression has muffled it up a bit, but with a bit more work on the definition, this 'll rock! :clap:

Col
01-08-2004, 11:50 PM
great potential here...keep us posted please!

dan the acid man
02-08-2004, 12:53 AM
the foundations of this track are solid, but like everybody else has mentioned, it need's polishing in the compression and eq department, i love the hats though, they come across as being nicely eq'ed

scotttechfunk
02-08-2004, 09:39 PM
Thanks everyone. SummerOfSam has sent me some wicked documents on compression, so i'm gonna bury myself in them tomorrow... will repost the track when I've worked on it a bit more.

278d7e64a374de26f==