PDA

View Full Version : another foam question

Evil G
03-08-2004, 06:34 PM
i've just moved into a new place, and the acoustics are quite different.

my old studio was in the basement, had acoustic tile on the ceiling, carpet on the floor, and the walls had insulation between drywall and the outer wall, which was cement. i had basstraps in the corners, and covered about 20% of the wall with foam. even with that small amount, the room was very dry sounding, and i always had to remind myself to go easy on the reverb, because what sounded good in my studio often sounded muddy elsewhere.

my new studio is on the main floor of an older house. the floor is hardwood, and the ceiling and walls are plaster. with no treatment my new room sounded horrid. extremely boomy and muddy. but now with my foam up it now sounds a lot better. it still sounds quite "live" though.

i guess i'll have to see how my mixes sound coming out of the new digs before i decide whether i need more foam or not, but i'm thinking that too much foam is a bad thing, at least for the relatively inexperienced, due to the tendency to add to much reverb to the mix when there isn't any added by the room.

am i making sense? how much coverage do other people have on their walls and ceilings?

xfive
03-08-2004, 06:56 PM
Man, I'm about to have the same problem - I know it. Last place was carpeted, high ceilings, and quite symmetrical. The place I just moved into over the weekend is hardwood floors, and ceilings that are about 4-5 feet lower. I haven't even had a chance to setup anything yet though because my studio desk bit the dust.. waitin for the new one to be built.
On the left of the setup I am going to have closet doors, on the right, a window. Hopefully these won't be too bad as they are out of the direct way of the speaker.. but I suspect I may get some funny reflections. Other weird part is that the left rear corner is where the doorway is, coming in at an angle. The other corner is 90 degrees...
Fun, Fun. :neutral:

I think I'm going to try that Auralex acoustic design form that someone else posted. Gotta set everything up and see what the problems are first tho.

DJZeMigL
03-08-2004, 07:01 PM
If u stand close 2 yer speakers (the usual triangule) and listen/ mix 2 a quiet volume the room acoustics, expecially pertaining verb get less problematic...

With a thick carpet u can also aliviate the prob a bit more!!

Z

278d7e64a374de26f==