PDA

View Full Version : is techno too dark these days?

sash
04-08-2004, 12:18 AM
it feels like every time i go to the record store, most ep's that i find in the techno section r really dark. whatever happened to the funk?
dark tek is my favourite genre of music of all time but too much of it and i get a crook stomach.

is dark tek easier to make than funky techno? are more synths producin dark sounds than funkier sounds?

have tek producers forgotten about the dancers and caught up too much in their own dark worlds?

dirty_bass
04-08-2004, 12:24 AM
I think any kind of funk, or anything "uplifting" these days gets jumped on as "Cheesy"
Shame really, I like a mix of everything.
Sometimes it`s nice to make people feel good.

The world is dark enough as it is.

dan the acid man
04-08-2004, 12:28 AM
maybe it's a reflection of the time's we are living in at the moment, it's bound to influence some producer's, but i agree, as much as i love dark techno, i also love some funk

sash
04-08-2004, 12:38 AM
like him or not but when Dave Clarke drops those ghetto tek tracks in the middle of his sets, u look around n everyones smilin, the lights r goin off and u know it's a fark'n party. DC's good at changin the mood.
Dave the drummer does this awesome as well. There's not enough fun in tek at the moment.

R tekkers too serious?

Dustin Zahn
04-08-2004, 01:32 AM
I wish I had your problem. We don't have anything dark here. It's all a bunch of the usual...primate, jericho, tronic, whatever...

Joseph Isaac
04-08-2004, 01:50 AM
I wish I had your problem. We don't have anything dark here. It's all a bunch of the usual...primate, jericho, tronic, whatever...

I hear ya, Jahhnnee!!!

Tony
04-08-2004, 01:57 AM
imho funk is easier to produce. it could easily be written on mere 16step notation and preset sounds. so for a producer to make it dark is a step towards more difficulty. but then, when the rhythm patterns are flat boom tiss boom tiss then you're losing my interest fast as well.

this isnt an omnipotent rule, but it certainly could be pointed out in many examples.

Ritzi Lee
04-08-2004, 07:03 AM
imho funk is easier to produce. it could easily be written on mere 16step notation and preset sounds. so for a producer to make it dark is a step towards more difficulty. but then, when the rhythm patterns are flat boom tiss boom tiss then you're losing my interest fast as well.

this isnt an omnipotent rule, but it certainly could be pointed out in many examples.

but what about funky and dark at the same time?

serox
04-08-2004, 10:04 AM
it feels like every time i go to the record store, most ep's that i find in the techno section r really dark. whatever happened to the funk?
dark tek is my favourite genre of music of all time but too much of it and i get a crook stomach.

is dark tek easier to make than funky techno? are more synths producin dark sounds than funkier sounds?

have tek producers forgotten about the dancers and caught up too much in their own dark worlds?

too dark? lol.

what kind of techno is too dark, cos i have not heard anything in a long time that i think is dark (new).

reason i have gone off techno is cos it is all too fluffy. too much club techno and hard house. too much sounds the same. music that will be forgoten about withing 5 years.

boring loopy and the same sounds being used, not often i see something that i think really stands out and sounds like someone has really spend a lot of time making it.

thank fuk there is still some classic old hardcore techno i can play with.

ncw
04-08-2004, 10:17 AM
It isn't whether a track is "dark" or not. I think the problem with techno at the moment is that people have forgotton about the essence of good techno tracks, there has to be something at the core of it which makes it work for the head and the dancefloor.
I think a lot of the perceived "darker" end of the spectrum has become too wrapped up in the atmospherics and structure of a techno track, kind of overlooking the dancefloor, and the central necessary nucleus of a good techno track. Dark stuff done well is excellent, but the genre has become a bit flooded.
At the moment I prefer tracks that are dirtier and rawer, more minimally arranged, as long as they have something to drive the music.

FuK-NuT
04-08-2004, 02:18 PM

but what about funky and dark at the same time?

hardcore salsa ?

The Overfiend
04-08-2004, 02:33 PM
Sorry to admit but I was not fond of the hardcore salsa track.
The rhythm in the salsa track did not match the beats given to it, and it's more of a blend then a chop to make it in time.
As far as funk is concerned, I think people are riding a bandwagon, kind of like when Nwa came out and all of the sudden everyone was gangstah rap for a lil bit. Hardcell for a bit was the culmination of dark n funky at the same time. I don't think there is enough Funky stuff, with integrity out lately. And the ones labeled as cheese, well. With some of the synths and the easily produced loop with a hard kick and a bassline thrown over it, I wouldnt blame people for calling it cheese, if people put half way as much effort into the funky stuff to be original as the dark kids a new found respect would be born for it.
People like Daniel Jaques and Philip Braunstein in my opinion are making well thought out funky stuff, look at Anghabau by Braunstein, or even the new Manuel Fuentes track I mentioned in the previous posts.

I think what it is. Honestly is that some producers are afraid to be themselves as well.

MARKEG
04-08-2004, 03:30 PM
well i really haven't got a problem with darkness cause i like that in techno, but i dunno how you can say that's the only techno out there cause there really is s so much more. alot of the more house based techno gives me a massive 'sunday afternoon in the sun' type smile - even though i find it hard to play it when you're doing a fri/sat night set. then there's the detroit sound - not as healthy as it used to be to still so NOT dark most of the time. i think perhaps cause this is a forum that focuses on hard and dark techno it can seem like that alot of the time but ther really is so much more techno out there.

gary_human
04-08-2004, 03:42 PM
Yeah maybe there is a lot more hard / dark techno around, but theres still loads of funk around - i listened to Rino Cerrone's latest offerings on www.mbeat.de and they sound funk deluxe!!

You need to search a bit harder me thinks?!

Miromiric
04-08-2004, 03:49 PM
i always thought there is to much funky shit. i wish i could find a dark record every time i step in a record shop.

Miromiric
04-08-2004, 03:50 PM
i guess sash is just ghey. :lol:

gary_human
04-08-2004, 03:54 PM
i always thought there is to much funky shit. i wish i could find a dark record every time i step in a record shop.

Maybe you and sash should do Record Shop swap?

Surely BBC or CH4 could start a TV programme about that? ;)

massplanck
04-08-2004, 05:25 PM
which type of techno do you think is too dark these days? Dark Techno?

or non-dark techno?

dark dark dark.

Tiptoe
04-08-2004, 05:59 PM
I find this to be a very funny thread. The only techno you must be hearing is dark techno cos there is still plenty of funk around you just have to look for it. Fair enough i think dark techno may have got a bit more popular but that is because of the quality being made and the quality techno dj's who play it. Search the web though and i can guarentee there is still plenty of funk about you just have to look.

icb
04-08-2004, 06:10 PM
LOL.... absolutely right, what I mostly play is exactly primate, tronic, mb electronics, etc, I would love so much to get my hands on some really nasty records.....

basslinejunkie
04-08-2004, 08:58 PM
can someone please tell me where all the dark techno is hiding then?!? im finding it impossible 2 find :bash:

spe
04-08-2004, 09:13 PM

what an oxymoron. techno can never be dark enough!!

sash
05-08-2004, 12:03 AM
i dunno maybe i've just had a lot of luck findin darker tek these days.

Maybe since i've discovered surgeon and pounding grooves my brain has been fried. Everything these days sounds like the bass drops a semitone after 2 bars then back up a semi tone another 2 bars later.

Tekker's must b some of the fussiest fans i reckon. People r now sayin Jeff Mills is cheese now cuz he drops these housy kind of tracks in his sets every now and then. :neutral:

miss bass
05-08-2004, 12:09 AM
who cares, aslong as it has the power to give you tingles then who cares if its dark or funky.

I just look for anything that catches my attention and has the rythmical pattern or groove or something , even if its just a sound that makes me nod my head or listen.

sash
05-08-2004, 12:51 AM
which type of techno do you think is too dark these days? Dark Techno?

or non-dark techno?

dark dark dark.

I don't think any techno is too dark these days. The sound of techno has gotten a lot darker inmo and i was just wonderin what others thought of this.

Frank Dogshit
05-08-2004, 01:10 AM
all you complaining of not finding enough dark stuff. take a good rummage in any surgeon/regis section of a record store and there youll find your gems.

gunjack
05-08-2004, 09:40 AM
is techno too dark? only in spain.....

massplanck
05-08-2004, 10:05 AM
is techno too dark? only in spain.....

Been wondering that. Why does all the dark techno around at the moment come from sunniest country in europe? Maybe they should all be air dropped into siberia...

jonnyspeed
07-08-2004, 11:18 PM

you need to get your ass down a different record shop, mate

The Overfiend
08-08-2004, 12:08 AM
who cares, aslong as it has the power to give you tingles then who cares if its dark or funky.

I just look for anything that catches my attention and has the rythmical pattern or groove or something , even if its just a sound that makes me nod my head or listen.

Gotta love her! :love:

tioneb
08-08-2004, 12:49 AM
around here dark techno is quit ehard to find, becasue the shops only buy the "famous" stuff ... and my seller doesnt know a shite about who are reeko , exium etc.

but well the good funky techno is also very rare ... the new daniel jacques is outstanding ... i think the future of funky techno is jazz influenced tecno .... all the the purpose maker wannabees wont last for eternity

John Vella
09-08-2004, 06:54 AM
Hasn't music always historically reflected the person and their feelings??

Maybe its more of a statement of the mindset of these techno artists. Perhaps many of them aren't in the mood to get funky??

Music is all about expressing feelings and capturing that essence....

So I don't think there ever is "too much" of anything..... If the feelings the artsist is having is properly expressed, then the job is done.

Be it uplifting, paranoid, twisted, or funky.... Its all about feeling.

I don't want people faking it. Make what you are. Make what's inside.

-j

278d7e64a374de26f==