PDA

View Full Version : Drums - Equipment .. and other sh*t

miss bass
04-08-2004, 12:47 PM
I know theres probably been topics on here somewhere, but its easier if i start another!

Right

Im really into making drums, with some off beat mad rhythmical percussion and bassey beats etc.

Any ideas of any good drum machines for this?

Also can someone tell me what polyrhythms are?
I think this aplies to be but i don't know it. :) cheers chickys

Also bass synths too, i like some dark sub bass sounds, so any ideas for that too?

TechMouse
04-08-2004, 02:30 PM
Most people seem to quite like the Elektron MachineDrum, and it's what I'd go for if I had the money spare. If you're after a more budget solution, I saw someone do a live PA with the two older Korg Electribes (EA-1 and ER-1) the other week, and it sounded pretty good from where I was standing. I've got the EA-1 - the synth module, and it's pretty good as VA synths go, so I'd imagine the ER-1 is ok as a drum machine. The ER-1 also gives you a synth part, so would let you have some bass noises as well.

From what I understand, a polyrhythm is any pattern or sequence which has several different rhythms going on at once. i.e. a pattern which might fit into 4/4, 3/4 and 6/8 all at the same time. Have a listen to Squarepusher's more recent stuff (e.g. "Do You Know Squarepusher?") for examples.

miss bass
04-08-2004, 03:08 PM
sweet as! cheers

Tyrisia
04-08-2004, 03:53 PM
Just get Waldorf's Attack VSTi, great little drum synth with two oscillators that serves me for all me drum needs, and a little look around the net might find u it a bit cheaper if u see what I mean ;).

Does good bdrums as well that with a bit of Maxbass really do the job, and has got a random function good for hard to create sfx as well.

It may or may not do the job 4 u but it will be a cheap intro into the wacky world of drum synths.

TechMouse
04-08-2004, 04:04 PM
Just get Waldorf's Attack VSTi, great little drum synth with two oscillators that serves me for all me drum needs, and a little look around the net might find u it a bit cheaper if u see what I mean ;).

Does good bdrums as well that with a bit of Maxbass really do the job, and has got a random function good for hard to create sfx as well.

It may not do the job 4 u but it will be a cheap intro into the wacky world of drum synths.

Agree - Attack is a great drum synth... though not as much use in a live scenario - unless you've got Ableton Live 4.

FILTERZ
05-08-2004, 02:37 PM
Most people seem to quite like the Elektron MachineDrum, and it's what I'd go for if I had the money spare. If you're after a more budget solution, I saw someone do a live PA with the two older Korg Electribes (EA-1 and ER-1) the other week, and it sounded pretty good from where I was standing. I've got the EA-1 - the synth module, and it's pretty good as VA synths go, so I'd imagine the ER-1 is ok as a drum machine. The ER-1 also gives you a synth part, so would let you have some bass noises as well.

From what I understand, a polyrhythm is any pattern or sequence which has several different rhythms going on at once. i.e. a pattern which might fit into 4/4, 3/4 and 6/8 all at the same time. Have a listen to Squarepusher's more recent stuff (e.g. "Do You Know Squarepusher?") for examples.

i have an electron and cant reccomend it enough , It rocks also ;)
there is a nice software drum machine called microtonic or utonic its pretty nifty.

xfive
05-08-2004, 03:17 PM
Machinedrum all the way baby :rambo: :rambo: :rambo: :cool:

Evil G
06-08-2004, 05:48 PM
i've had a jomox airbase since april, and the more i use it, the more i love it. it's way less versatile than the machinedrum or waldorf attack, but it's got a raw grittiness that really grows on ya. for 909/808 type sounds it rules, especially the kick drum (which is real analog) and the hi-hats (7 bit samples with analog filter).

ampassasinbirmingham
07-08-2004, 12:49 AM
i've had a jomox airbase since april, and the more i use it, the more i love it. it's way less versatile than the machinedrum or waldorf attack, but it's got a raw grittiness that really grows on ya. for 909/808 type sounds it rules, especially the kick drum (which is real analog) and the hi-hats (7 bit samples with analog filter).

hasnt a limited edition version of one of these babies come out not long ago. one with drum samples from a techno artist?

Evil G
07-08-2004, 12:54 AM
i think you are thinking of the dr.walker and toktok special versions of the xbase (which is a similar unit but in desktop format rather than rackmount).

RichieV
07-08-2004, 02:08 AM
have'nt you guys tried sonic charge vst ?

this knocks the socks of any vst or hardware drum synth i have ever heard

278d7e64a374de26f==