PDA

View Full Version : Schranz Vs Hard Techno

MARKEG
04-08-2004, 11:55 PM
For me there's no contest. Schranz has really come into it's own recently. I love it, when I'm in a club and really wanting to 'av' it, it really works. Bang bang bang, eyes in the back of your head, bang bang. Lovely.

But there's nothing that beats well produced hard techno. And the thing I find with hard techno is that every artist really tries hard not only to put the hardness in, but also the funk. Hmmm

Does everyone see what I'm saying? And which style do you prefer? Or would you prefer to leave the categories aside? Let the discussion begin!!

StoQ
05-08-2004, 12:01 AM
hmmmm. for me producing schranz is much easier than all kinds of hard tekkno. My most [djing] prefered style is banging/punding tekkno. I dont like bassline in nowadays schranz, which seems to be poor IMO

Traxx
05-08-2004, 12:09 AM
i used to quite a bit of schranz but of late ive really gone of the genre as a whole.....there's still a few schranz tune's that come along that i like & it really makes everyone get a stomp on....

But now i find that there's alot more emphasis on makin it sound as dirty as possible and less on the production quality side which imo makes alot of the schranz that i listen to now sound cluttered & noisy......

Hard yet thoughtful, well made techno for me all the way these days...

Komplex
05-08-2004, 12:31 AM
Hard yet thoughtful, well made techno for me all the way

I agree.

sash
05-08-2004, 12:36 AM
what's schranz?

DJ Corbzy
05-08-2004, 12:47 AM
I love Schranz for what it is, but you can't beat a good, well produced bit of hard techno, Skoog or Wilson style.

Frank Dogshit
05-08-2004, 01:17 AM
I must admit i got slightly bored of that sound at one point,sounded very poorly put together and really didnt have much soul at all.

One particularly hard mix that has made me pay attention to recently is the DJ Amok mix from Locked,Manchester thats doin the rounds of late.
Absolutely fantastic mix thats really well put together without sounding boring or lacking any imagination.

anx
05-08-2004, 01:22 AM
schranz is good, but i cannot stand an intire set of it.

hard techno is where it is at for me really, but if you can throw some schranz into a hard techno set its awesome. but too much of it can really get to me.

The Overfiend
05-08-2004, 02:34 AM
But there's nothing that beats well produced hard techno. And the thing I find with hard techno is that every artist really tries hard not only to put the hardness in, but also the funk.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

http://img.slate.msn.com/media/1/123125/123073/2076411/2079646/030328_Iraq_ThumbsUp.jpg

dirty_bass
05-08-2004, 03:38 AM
Personally I prefer Hard Techno to Schranz. Schranz is a little to cold, Militaristic and "German" for me. In the same way that in the days of industrial, there was a lot of emotional, dancable stuff, and then ebm came along and it was very rigid and militaristic.
I just like a little more sould and a little more groove.

killarava2day
05-08-2004, 05:11 AM
It's a hard task to fuse funk and hard tech...aint it :?:

The Overfiend
05-08-2004, 05:14 AM
It's a hard task to fuse funk and hard tech...aint it :?:

nope

Adverse
05-08-2004, 06:52 AM
For me there's no contest. Schranz has really come into it's own recently. I love it, when I'm in a club and really wanting to 'av' it, it really works. Bang bang bang, eyes in the back of your head, bang bang. Lovely.

But there's nothing that beats well produced hard techno. And the thing I find with hard techno is that every artist really tries hard not only to put the hardness in, but also the funk. Hmmm

Does everyone see what I'm saying? And which style do you prefer? Or would you prefer to leave the categories aside? Let the discussion begin!!

i can't believe you started another conversation like this.

ReakZ
05-08-2004, 07:57 AM
I can listen to shranz for about 5(ok max 10) mins,then i get really boooorred ;)

gunjack
05-08-2004, 09:46 AM
SHRANZ DOES NOT EXIST.

Gloomy
05-08-2004, 10:12 AM
I'd say combine harder hard tech (wilson, eg, rodell, klein, slobodan, gunjack - some great shit lattely) with less distorted schranz and u have a winner ;)

sound quality in most recent schranz is really poor :cry: no basslines just some poor digitaly overdriven sounds.

i'm still a bassline junkie, hehehehe

waldhaus
05-08-2004, 12:55 PM
what is schranz? ;)
ok, i produce mainly fast distorted monotonous cold techno BUT
I prefer a good mix of hardtechno and schranz, to keep a set interesting. I find it totally boring to hear a DJ who plays 158 bpm from the beginning til the end, only "bangbangbangbang - i have the hardest cock here". It's no wonder that the "schranz"parties here in germany more and more lack of party people since the last year. The DJs do not create tension, there is only schranz the whole evening, and the DJs all play the same tracks. Imagine, you go into a club and listen the same sound and the same records the whole night :roll:

anx
05-08-2004, 02:53 PM
i dont like the term schranz but what other term do u use to describe the amok, wittekind, kivatta, arkus p, etc (sorry if i spelt the names wrong) style techno? maybe just call it really really hard german techno?

dirty_bass
05-08-2004, 03:08 PM
it`s noy really really hard
it`s just distorted.
hard is when the definition of the sound is crisp, and comes out the speakers so punchy it cuts chunks out yer forhead.

TripleX
05-08-2004, 03:17 PM
Personally I prefer Hard Techno to Schranz. Schranz is a little to cold, Militaristic and "German" for me.

:lol:

could some please tell me the diffenrece between hard techno and schranz, to me it´s the same

Akkachar
05-08-2004, 03:23 PM
schranz, schranz, schranz? what da **** is schranz?

MARKEG
05-08-2004, 03:45 PM
yeah i think the word schranz is stupid. just more pointless genres that serve no purpose as to seperate stuff. hard german techno is the way to go - well said triple. but then there is a difference between the hard techno sound of say burkat or klein and that of wittekind and amok. not saying one is just better than the other, it's just i prefer those tracks that have got a bit more than just bang bang bang. and from reading this, i think many of you guys do too.

drift9
05-08-2004, 03:49 PM
the schranz that i listen to now sound cluttered & noisy...

that's always been my problem with it. i enjoy it in small doses, but it lacks that crisp presicion which i love about techno.

TripleX
05-08-2004, 04:48 PM
there is a difference between the hard techno sound of say burkat or klein and that of wittekind and amok.

true there is a difference, i was just confused what u guys call what :lol:

TRB
05-08-2004, 07:08 PM
I like to mix different kinds of techno in the same dj set. It isn't easy but i like it.

For me the most important is the quality, I know some good tracks from klein, wilson, wittekind, amok. And I know some shit tracks from the same producers. So the problem isn't the kind of techno. Is the quality. If have quality and u have a good taste to mix those tracks, u won't have any problem. And remember it's impossible to make everybody happy. So play what u like, when u like and good luck.

By the way ... I only don't like schranz name... for me it's ridiculous.

Cheers

dbit
05-08-2004, 07:40 PM
I've always strayed away from hyper-genrezation, feeling it was a lie!!! Although I still describe our new label as harder, darker techno, with an offbeat experimental bent lolol.

But seriously, I knew shranze as a general outline, but to be so specific as to define hard techno, and schranze as mutually seperate, now I'm confused.

So PLEASE, tell me, who and WHAT define schranze so specifically??

d
:doh:

Adverse
05-08-2004, 08:19 PM
you don't want my answer d.

The Overfiend
05-08-2004, 08:41 PM
you don't want my answer d. :lol:

Be nice mofo.

professor
05-08-2004, 09:09 PM
i never realized we could have so many forms of techno/tekno/tekknow/tech-know

kebabman
07-08-2004, 07:26 PM
i never realized we could have so many forms of techno/tekno/tekknow/tech-know

I don't think we have. If your playing a hard techno set and then introduce a bit of schranz what do you then call your set? Schranz is hard techno. It's nice to have a bit of contrast in a set. I like techno that makes you move and then gives you a bit of a slap now and again. You need both in my opinion.

Patrick DSP
07-08-2004, 07:56 PM
all schranz is hard techno, but not all hard techno is schranz.

much like all hard techno is techno but not all techno is hard. ;)

dbit
07-08-2004, 07:59 PM
ok, could u all confuse me more??? :P

d

Martin Dust
07-08-2004, 08:01 PM
It's all bollocks - split it down as many times as you want - all comes down to the same thing. I can't believe people still buy into this "label" shite, it like a guide written by the Guardian and we all know how much they know about music. Play an endless ****ing loop if you want but don't expect to make a living out of it or get much credit. In fact I'd go as far as to say this endless shite has done more damage than good ...

Adverse
07-08-2004, 08:34 PM
i'm still in awe of why this thread was started.

The Overfiend
07-08-2004, 08:39 PM
To get peoples opinions and get individual thought processes going? :neutral:

Adverse
07-08-2004, 09:42 PM
i see it like this.. schranz is hard german techno..

yep that about does it.

TripleX
08-08-2004, 01:30 PM
in my area the word "schranz" is usually used by rave kiddies, who have no clue about anything except drugs.
they call everything schranz from monika kruse to marco bailey :lol:
;)

dbit
08-08-2004, 06:12 PM
I actually first heard the term "Schranz" used years ago in Berlin by Kero. He had returned from hanging out with Marco Haas and Apparat and said they were calling hard techno "trance". He was like, it's not trance at all! And played them some trance (found on the net or something). They said, no, thats "Trance"! He said, that's what u said before! They say, no, and enunciated more, "we said S-C-H-R-A-N-Z". Apparently, at the time, with liebing being in the spotlight, the germans had come up with this name to differentiate what they were doing from banging hard tech.

Knowing all this I still didn't know what defined schranz until yesterday.

A friend said it is just banging basic stuff, 909 kick, high hat, ride, simple noises and basslines, overcompressed bla bla bla.

If this is the definition, then it sounds like schranz is just a term for unimaginative or very simple hard techno. If that is the case then I have to agree that this term is just another one for the scrap-heap!

:rambo:

d

lohki
08-08-2004, 07:12 PM
it doesn't matter what ''basic stuff'' you use , it's what you make of it.

Spark
08-08-2004, 09:05 PM
in my area the word "schranz" is usually used by rave kiddies, who have no clue about anything except drugs.
they call everything schranz from monika kruse to marco bailey :lol:
;)

Same as that alot of people are calling Gayle San schranz :nono:

Schranz is nothing.. here in Holland they all say hardtechno because they hate the word schranz..

maily
08-08-2004, 09:59 PM
i don't speak any german, so i dont know if this is correct but i read somewhere that the definition of schranz is a grinding metalic noise?
i think that this kinda fits with some of chris leibing's stuff from a couple of years ago,
but i dont realy know enough about the sounds of the producers being labeled schranz now?
i'm not saying i approve of using this to describe a "sub genre" but it does describe a sound.

DJ Corbzy
09-08-2004, 01:28 AM
i thought it just translated as 'noise'?

i just call it schranz to separate it from hard techno, or dark techno...

OK, so it's still hard and it's still techno, but it was the same with hard-trance and hardstyle, they are so different now so I think it's good that it's been labelled as something else.

just my thoughts..

and why hard techno vs. schranz mark? i like both...

DJAmok
09-08-2004, 02:03 AM
Schranz and Hard Techno are so close together, that they get mixed up all the time. In Germany we call Liebing style "Schranz" and we call the crazy stuff "Hardtechno". In the UK it´s the other way around.

Quite funny actually, now that i notice this.

Back 2 Topic: I love them both, and I spin both. The sprit behind them is the same, only the new German producers have had some quality issues at first. But hey, give us a break, we´re young and we´re learning, but we´ve got the passion for the music.

btw where can I get this mix from locked, manchester? I remember the night as one of the most fun gigs this year, but noone has sent me the mix yet :cry:

Frank Dogshit
09-08-2004, 04:17 AM
pm me your address and ill get one in the post for ya dude.

DJMAYA
09-08-2004, 07:15 AM
what the hell is this SCHRANZ??? ive never erd of it at all!

killarava2day
09-08-2004, 01:50 PM
Same as that alot of people are calling Gayle San schranz :nono:

I've heard it all now :shock:

TripleX
09-08-2004, 02:04 PM
gayle san :lol:

elek7r
09-08-2004, 02:38 PM
bah //

both styles together are nice formula.........

but i kant lizten a pure schranz set......... :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

i think the best way is mix both styles .. and make own sound..

thats all --

:clap: :clap:

DJAmok
09-08-2004, 03:01 PM
I think it´s the same with everything. I can´t listen to a pure 140 bpm set all night long, just as I can´t listen to hardcore all night or 155 bpm schranz...

it´s all about diversity ;)

Adverse
09-08-2004, 04:52 PM
not much diversity between the two ben..

da hound
09-08-2004, 05:31 PM
I LIKE 2 MIX UP ALL TYPES IN MY SET GRAUDUALEY BUILDING IT UP FROM FUNKY 2 SCHRAN2

Gloomy
09-08-2004, 07:05 PM
I think it´s the same with everything. I can´t listen to a pure 140 bpm set all night long, just as I can´t listen to hardcore all night or 155 bpm schranz...

it´s all about diversity ;)

word ;)

i had a talk with liebing back in 2001 when the hardest shit was stigmata, murat, 4×4, relic and so on... & he said that the word schranz comes from the word "shreder" cause ther are noises in the music that sound like the shreding machine.... that's basically the story behind it.

Jav
11-08-2004, 04:17 AM
all schranz is hard techno, but not all hard techno is schranz.

much like all hard techno is techno but not all techno is hard. ;)

:eh: true dat... :clap:

278d7e64a374de26f==