PDA

View Full Version : Ableton Live 4

scotttechfunk
08-08-2004, 10:11 AM
I've been having a tentative look at this recently, having previously not been that interested because frankly the idea of taking a computer into a live set up and having it crash on me just fills me with horror. I have to say though, this bit of software looks really lairy - I'm just downloading the demo now. One thing I'm slightly confused about though is, if I wanted to incorporate it in a DJ mix, say I'm mixing on two decks, how would I go about bringing Ableton into the mix? I suppose I'd have an out from my mixer into my sound card which Ableton could grab the tempo from yeah?

ampassasinbirmingham
08-08-2004, 03:28 PM
not sure if you can do that?

one way to do it is is you had a mixer/fx box with a midi out, you could link the bpm's like that.

another is to use your faders on your controller(midi) to adjust the pitch just like you would on a deck.

thoughtintruder
10-08-2004, 01:41 PM
tap tempo?

worked the other night when i was just messing around...

ampassasinbirmingham
10-08-2004, 03:55 PM
tap tempo?

not too acurate tho???

TechMouse
10-08-2004, 05:12 PM
another is to use your faders on your controller(midi) to adjust the pitch just like you would on a deck.

This is how we do it.

We were using the MIDI out from a RedSound FX box, but we found it slipped every now and then - and went completely AWOL with anything other than straight up 4X4 beats.

If you can DJ, you're already fairly astute at matching BPMs using a fader, so you might as well take advantage of that.

scotttechfunk
10-08-2004, 08:48 PM
Cool. That sounds alright... Thanks for the feedback fellas.

thoughtintruder
12-08-2004, 01:47 PM
tap tempo?

not too acurate tho???

hoe accurate can you tap? ;)

davcron
12-08-2004, 06:43 PM
map tempo to a hardware fader, then it's kinda like yer 1210's.

Komplex
13-08-2004, 04:25 AM
Why not just beatmatch it like all the other records?

Hook up a midi controller to the laptop (a controller is vital to get full use out of this software)

Asign the tempo to a knob or fader on the midi controller and just mix it like you would mix regular recorded music...

Change the speed by sliding the fader or knob...

Komplex
13-08-2004, 04:26 AM
how do i delete double posts?

Komplex
13-08-2004, 04:26 AM
map tempo to a hardware fader, then it's kinda like yer 1210's.

should have read your reply before I posted. :)

278d7e64a374de26f==