PDA

View Full Version : Starting from scratch...

John Vella
01-11-2002, 07:18 AM
Ok I just started trying to write some tracks about a month ago....

What I wanna know is this:

When you guys are creating a new tune, what is the general direction you take?

Is it mainly a pre-determined process where you KNOW what kinda sound you wanna prodice from the start?

Or is it more of a semi calculated experiment (or an educated guess) where you throw a bunch of drumloops together and then see how it all blends together and take it from there?

Thanks for the input friends...

-JOHNNY

sinner
01-11-2002, 09:03 AM
I have absolutely no idea what a new track is going to sound like. In fact, it usually changes multiple times en route. I hear what starts to take shape, and then I mold more and more on top of it and around it until Im happy with the outcome

But I start with just a small melody or a cool sounding instrument and build a track around that completely.

Sometimes I find that melody I thought would sound cool only applies for a few bars, and I have to come up with the rest on the fly though

The only thing Im usually sure of from the getgo is the style that Im going to make it in. Hard and evil, or a little more upbeat, or loud and fast.

Mike

I used to play clarinet during school many years ago, and I've been trying to implement that into my more recent work. Its proving to be fairly difficult though.

You go in hard, and you go in fast.

DJZeMig_L
02-11-2002, 12:28 AM
Let the music take control.. make sure all the changes flow nicelly and it works... it is preaty normal 2 get loads of ideias that are very cool but do not suit the current track u r workin' on... sav' em for later and work'em as new tracks!!

Z

eyes without a face
03-11-2002, 03:34 AM
to b honest i think that alot of people take the same approach when starting a new track

if im lookin thru my samples i tend to try and find a sample that i like and samples that i know i will b able to contruct something worthwhile with. be it a kick drum, a snare, a stab anything at all. if its a note off a lead line il try make a nice riff with. same goes with bass. i work my parts out seperately (as im sure everyone does), il spend time on my drums or percussion till im happuy with them then il work on say a melody if the track has one.

like Sinner i find that my tracks often take many forms in the creative process. for instance i was working on lovely tribal techno track, it had a nice space age pad a wikid bongos etc, but then i found one sample, added it and then i completely reworked the track into a stomping Booty techno track

MARKEG
05-11-2002, 06:45 AM
my advice is gdon't go into the studio with any preconcieved ideas.... it always holds you back.... just go where your mind and creativity takes you...

StoQ
15-04-2004, 01:05 PM
my advice is gdon't go into the studio with any preconcieved ideas.... it always holds you back.... just go where your mind and creativity takes you...

holy right Mark

mux
15-04-2004, 09:35 PM
I like to go into the studio with a *name* of a track in my head, and an idea of the feeling I want from that track, then build from there. Sometimes I'll hear a bassline in my head in the shower, and if it applies, then that solidifies the concept.

There's a wicked live-pa guy here in town who used to have as his sigfile a quote that went something like "In order to make music with feeling, don't think about the music, think about the feeling.". That makes a lot of sense to me.

278d7e64a374de26f==