PDA

View Full Version : Are there any "rules" for a remix?

Kangxi
10-08-2004, 05:23 PM
Can any of you supervillians tell us whether or no there are any hard-and-fast dos-and-don'ts when it comes to remixing a track, i.e. are you supposed to take elements of the original track and rework them, is it supposed to be a completely new creation, et cetera. It seems that remixes of every imaginable stripe have been done so I was just wondering...

:?:

G-whizz
10-08-2004, 05:29 PM
Can any of you supervillians tell us whether or no there are any hard-and-fast dos-and-don'ts when it comes to remixing a track, i.e. are you supposed to take elements of the original track and rework them, is it supposed to be a completely new creation, et cetera. It seems that remixes of every imaginable stripe have been done so I was just wondering...

I suppose it depends on what samples you are given if your doing an official remix .....

dirty_bass
10-08-2004, 05:53 PM
It entirely depends what the client wants really.
Client is such a horrible word, but I couldn`t think what else to say.

Adverse
10-08-2004, 06:48 PM
lol. yeah. i guess there should be some law to it.

technoticau
10-08-2004, 07:47 PM
http://www.blackoutaudio.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18766

:roll:

Rog
10-08-2004, 10:13 PM
something that bares resemblence of the original.. would be nice imo :eh:

Tony
11-08-2004, 12:28 AM
from my experience people are given the elements of the track, if its any further than that in contract of gentlemans agreement then you stick to that. but i have heard many mixes that dont sound at all like the origional, but who cares. even that artist/label has got the rmixers in for a reason - to sound like them cos they're shit hot!!! if they do something crazy and different then so be it. sometimes people will ask for a few different versions to choose, or will ask them to do it again if they reject it, but thats mostly, again, either contractual or agreement.

i'd personally totally change a remix but make sure i did a killer job that would still sell to both my fans and theirs. cant ask more than that really can you?!

Metadog
11-08-2004, 01:22 PM
yeah - the rule is it's gotta be good !

;)

The Overfiend
11-08-2004, 02:50 PM
from my experience people are given the elements of the track, if its any further than that in contract of gentlemans agreement then you stick to that. but i have heard many mixes that dont sound at all like the origional, but who cares. even that artist/label has got the rmixers in for a reason - to sound like them cos they're shit hot!!! if they do something crazy and different then so be it. sometimes people will ask for a few different versions to choose, or will ask them to do it again if they reject it, but thats mostly, again, either contractual or agreement.

i'd personally totally change a remix but make sure i did a killer job that would still sell to both my fans and theirs. cant ask more than that really can you?! :clap:

serox
12-08-2004, 09:24 AM

never under stand why people remix. if u like the orignial track, why try to remix it? U think u can do it better?

If u dont like the track r remixing, then why not make ur own?

MangaFish
12-08-2004, 09:25 PM
never under stand why people remix. if u like the orignial track, why try to remix it? U think u can do it better?

If u dont like the track r remixing, then why not make ur own?[/quote]

i really couldnt agree with that less.

theres numerous tunes out there that have elements i like and elements i dont. remixing is all about taking the bits you do like and applying them in a format that you prefer.

MangaFish
12-08-2004, 09:26 PM

i really couldnt agree with that less.

theres numerous tunes out there that have elements i like and elements i dont. remixing is all about taking the bits you do like and applying them in a format that you prefer.

Komplex
13-08-2004, 12:10 AM

Its mostly a money thing and a way to fill up ep's with rehashed versions of the original. You wouldn't understand ;)

serox
13-08-2004, 01:21 PM

Its mostly a money thing and a way to fill up ep's with rehashed versions of the original. You wouldn't understand ;)

why wouldnt i understand?

I understand when getting a record pressed labels like for you to put one good track on with some not so good ones when they select what goes on. Yes, to make more money.

would much ratehr see a release with 2 of the best tracks you have made, which you have not done in 1 night on a PC.

Anyway, i dont like remixes. Its all techno, so if you like some thing dont copy it, make your own shit. How you feel it and want it to be.

Alan Oldham
28-08-2004, 11:21 PM

Elements of the original track would be nice.

thetonewrecka
30-08-2004, 11:14 PM
I like to think that instead of a specific "remix" labels should include tracks by artists that are "inspired" by that main track after they listen to it and then add their take on the sound and feeling from it.

In the studio though, from a production standpoint, it can be a fun puzzle to sit and figure out what you do to move someone elses music from its original context to your own shaping. a to b....or a to z?

crime
31-08-2004, 01:25 AM

That's a pretty cynical outlook. The first release on our label was a remix package, and it certainly wasn't about money, more a chance for people to pick up some fresh takes on a track. And out of pure curiosity of what the remixers would come up with...

Komplex
31-08-2004, 02:40 AM
cynical or not its a point that needs to be made. I just try to tell it like it is without holding back.

Your label may be an exception but still, why not create an amazing ep full of new material that hasn't been heard before?

crime
31-08-2004, 04:14 AM
cynical or not its a point that needs to be made. I just try to tell it like it is without holding back.

To be honest, I don't think you're really going to change much by saying it, those who are clued up enough to be aware are already aware. Who is the bigger fool? The label who commissions remixes on the strength of names, or the people that buy them? Why do you "Try to tell it like it is without holding back"? One think I've learned in life, sometimes it's better just to know, than to be outspoken (kind of ironic coming from me, but you live and learn eh?)

Your label may be an exception but still, why not create an amazing ep full of new material that hasn't been heard before?

I did for number 02...

I think I could suck eggs already
;)

Oh, and rules are there to be broken...

Komplex
31-08-2004, 06:34 AM
Discussions are great :) If everyone just knew but didn't speak we would all need to be telepathic ;)

I probably won't change much by saying that comment. But hopefully it'll reach one or two people who will agree, perhaps 2 teenagers browsing the forum who in the future will want to run a label, and they'll be faced with a choice. "Do we release remixes of done before tracks for a quick buck, tracks that will quickly be forgotten or original material that will move music forward and inspire people. Or if we can't release such good original material, maybe we shouldn't start a label yet..."

You may not agree, but hopefully someone out there does, someone who is passionate about music, willing to make a difference and change the current trends...

:)

crime
31-08-2004, 11:39 AM
you still havn't explaned why you "Try to tell it like it is without holding back"...

Komplex
31-08-2004, 12:38 PM
:doh:

crime
31-08-2004, 03:28 PM
:lol: ;)

Tony
01-09-2004, 01:23 AM
"Do we release remixes of done before tracks for a quick buck, tracks that will quickly be forgotten or original material that will move music forward and inspire people.

i thought the point was to do both jobs, remixes that are good interpretations of the original, that can stand on their own, but are also good enough to sell copies to a diverse audiences

who do you know who does 'quick buck' remixes?? tell us and we'll be sure to avoid them ;)

Komplex
01-09-2004, 04:39 AM
who do you know who does 'quick buck' remixes?? tell us and we'll be sure to avoid them ;)

I'm not going to name 95% of remixes that have been done to this date ;)

Thats it I'm outa this thread :) hehe. My view re: remixes has been expressed and I'll leave it at that before it gets ugly and names are involved.

dirty_bass
01-09-2004, 04:44 AM
well the abysmal Ego Acid Remixes on Primate (the one with beyer etc) was an obvious milking of a done to death tune.
And it was a terrible release.
And the luke slater Horn Track thing, seemed like another Tim Taylor milking the dead cow release.

There are many more. Surely you folks know this?

dirty_bass
01-09-2004, 04:50 AM
although back on topic.
Remix rules?
There shouldn`t be any.
A remix should contain elements of the original. Otherwise it is a version, as they say.

278d7e64a374de26f==