PDA

View Full Version : A Red Smear in the Blackness

dirty_bass
13-08-2004, 03:59 PM
A real dark, atmospheric thing I`m working on.
Quite abstract.
More music to commit suicide to really.

There are a lot of really strange elements here, so please let me know your opinions, as I`m finding it hard fitting these elements together.

http://mysite.freeserve.com/dirty_bass_records/tunes/A_Red_Smear_in_the_Blackness.mp3

dan the acid man
13-08-2004, 08:36 PM
i'll give it a listen in a moment, i'll just get rid of all my razor's, sharp object's and bit's of rope first :lol:

Patrick DSP
13-08-2004, 09:29 PM
pure class :clap: :clap: :clap:

ken nordine would love this!

dan the acid man
13-08-2004, 11:22 PM
bloody awesome, i cant really say anything else, but simply awesome!!
i love the vocal, the gritty grainy effect on it really add's something, and the percussion is sweet

The Overfiend
14-08-2004, 02:52 AM
This is why we're into techno.
Period.

dirty_bass
14-08-2004, 08:12 PM
Cheers DSP for the scarey children sounds.

Sunil
16-08-2004, 03:16 AM
I think this is a good track but that vocal holds it back, the same effect on it the whole way gets on my nerves a little, sorry! Maybe I just wanted it to sound a touch more human or something, but it dominates the track too much, it'd be nice to hear it used a touch more sparingly. The backbone of the track is very nice though, I feel there's more life to come out there if you wanted. This sounds like a finished track, I just think you could have a better version up your sleeve if you applied a few changes.

Miromiric
16-08-2004, 12:15 PM
is good, is good. i think it is nice, especially the dreamy synth stabs. it would be much better without cheesy vocals though imho.

dirty_bass
16-08-2004, 02:15 PM
Well, I`m gonna tweak, and clean it up, add edits, and make some adjustments to the ambience.
But the vocal stays, as it is. Inhuman, and long and "cheesy".

Adverse
16-08-2004, 03:31 PM
good.

Tyrisia
16-08-2004, 09:48 PM
here here!

Brilliant track btw.

dan the acid man
17-08-2004, 01:28 AM
good, i personally love the vocal as it is, but music is all about personal preferances ;)

dirty_bass
17-08-2004, 01:35 AM
To be honest I understand why a lot of people won`t like the vocal.
Vocals these days, are instantly "cheesy" with a lot of techno people.

But this is a way I am heading, both with spoken word (another artform in itself) and my own sung or spoken word vocals.
It`s part of my drive to make techno that can be identified with more, that has more of a message than just abstract emotions or drug references.
I would like to appeal to wider audience than just techno people, cos we need more people. Not selling out, or making commercial stuff, but I want to take a more Band like approach, rather than just making tracks.
I dunno maybe I`m going mad?

Evil G
17-08-2004, 01:54 AM
i read that as saying you are writing songs, rather than tracks, which i think is commendable.

Miromiric
17-08-2004, 01:22 PM

mind you i use vocals in almost every tune, but this one in particular sound a bit dark simulated to me. maybe they would sound better without pitchshifter?

BloodStar
17-08-2004, 01:38 PM
cool track. Vocal is gr8, but it stays for too long in the track what affects the rest, imo., but it's good. I like its darkness..

Sunil
17-08-2004, 04:05 PM

But this is a way I am heading, both with spoken word (another artform in itself) and my own sung or spoken word vocals.
It`s part of my drive to make techno that can be identified with more, that has more of a message than just abstract emotions or drug references.
I would like to appeal to wider audience than just techno people, cos we need more people. Not selling out, or making commercial stuff, but I want to take a more Band like approach, rather than just making tracks.
I dunno maybe I`m going mad?

I don't think vocals in techno are cheesy, one thing I think techno needs *a lot* more of is vocals, to give it more individuality. I just think this sounds slightly commercial in its current form. I dunno, maybe because it's a full passage from a film or wherever it was taken from, it makes it sound like the soundtrack or something. I think the vocal could sound better, this one is tiring to listen to after a while, although maybe it's because it's been overused in the track.

Buttman
17-08-2004, 05:54 PM
Sounds nice but maybe a bit drowned in delays/reverbs. I would ditch the voice though (or change it for something non-American) ;)

dirty_bass
17-08-2004, 06:32 PM
It`s staying :cool:
Commercial? Cool, maybe MTV will play it, and I`ll finally be able to buy the mercedes I`ve allways wanted.
Cheers for the tips and stuff, normally I take em on board, but this time I`m sticking to my guns.

I have finalised and remastered this now, but the track has been taken by a label, so no repost I`m affraid.

dan the acid man
17-08-2004, 08:39 PM
It`s staying :cool:
Commercial? Cool, maybe MTV will play it, and I`ll finally be able to buy the mercedes I`ve allways wanted.
Cheers for the tips and stuff, normally I take em on board, but this time I`m sticking to my guns.

I have finalised and remastered this now, but the track has been taken by a label, so no repost I`m affraid.

good, let us know when it's coming out :cool:

Col
17-08-2004, 10:25 PM
same old quality steve. im with sunil on the vocal though, it is a little dominating.

this could be a classic though, it kinda reminds me of green velvets "la la land"

anyway, congratulations on the deal.

dirty_bass
18-08-2004, 12:13 AM
Well then dammit, I`ll do a dub version on my next live PA, so that dancefloor people don`t have to suffer the irony of the vocal.
That way, everybody is happy.
Unless someone wants to remix?

The Divide
18-08-2004, 05:38 PM
I Like it Stevo

The vocal does tend to clutter with the highs in the track but the chopper seems to help it sit. I personally would leave it in

Unless someone wants to remix?

I would sacrifice a small animal for a tinker with that vocal

dirty_bass
19-08-2004, 01:09 AM
Hmmm, well, I`ve got 2 peeps I`m sending the files for remixing, but I`ll send you the stuff for self inflicted soon.

278d7e64a374de26f==