PDA

View Full Version : Sidechaining with a software compressor!!!!!!!!!!

Patrick DSP
13-08-2004, 10:15 PM
I never really attempted to do this before.
I'm quite familiar with how to do this with hardware but not software...
Until now...

There are 2 software plugins that know of that do this. db audioware Compressor (directx plug-in) and the TC Works Native Bundle (compressor and sidechainer VSTi plugins)

First for this example lets have 2 channels, one with the kick drum, one with the bass line that I want to compress...

put the TC Works Sidechainer VSTi plugin on the kick drum channel as the insert, or with the db audioware, insert the compressor plugin but keep it at 0 (zero) settings and set the "send" to "A".

Next, insert the TC Works Compressor VSTi on the bass line channel and set the "Key Input" to #1. With the db audioware, insert the compressor and set the receive to "A" and there you go, the compressors are listening to the signal from the kick and not the bass line. Have fun ducking!!!

Though this may not be new to some of you, I found this tricky to play around with in the software world and thought it would be good to share.

If there are any other software compressors that can do this, please fill us in.

-Patrick

The Divide
13-08-2004, 10:16 PM
I have been wanting to do this for ages. thanks :love:

dan the acid man
13-08-2004, 11:09 PM
great stuff, thank's pat

RichieV
14-08-2004, 12:22 AM
waves can do it

The Divide
14-08-2004, 12:53 AM
waves can do it

:shock:

RichieV
14-08-2004, 12:59 AM
the walkthru has been posted in this forum about 3 times already

Patrick DSP
14-08-2004, 01:25 AM
the walkthru has been posted in this forum about 3 times already

feel free to repost it here then and join in on the conversation and add something positive. I ask this only because I havn't been able to fine one about Waves.

RichieV
14-08-2004, 01:53 AM
try the search function

Patrick DSP
14-08-2004, 02:01 AM
try the search function Wow, I didn't see that coming.

I did and was unable to find any post that successfully used the waves compressor as a practical sidechainer.

Maybe you'd be better useful to this board if you felt like being helpful and posting the solution, rather than being a smartass.

RichieV
14-08-2004, 02:08 AM
maybe you should actually try searching instead of being spoon fed everything. IT would probably take you 2 minutes

Seriously , every week someone asks how to do side chaining with software and it gets annoying,

How would you feel if i came on every week and asked what is better , software of hardware.

The Overfiend
14-08-2004, 02:10 AM
Are you Kidding Me Richie????????

RichieV
14-08-2004, 02:14 AM
you disagree ?

just on this page there is already 2 posts about side chaining with software.

But seriously. Do you expect people to waste their own time to explain something that has already been explained many times ? I told you it has allready been posted and that you should search . Is that unreasonable?

Maybe i just can't stand redundancy

Patrick DSP
14-08-2004, 02:15 AM
Why don't you post it if you're able to find it?

I did the search and found 5 posts in this section that contained the words "Waves" and "Side chain"

None of them contained a workable solution.
Since you seem to spend more time on this board than I, please enlighten us with your stupefying intelligence.

Give me a bit more credit than to waste my day posting info that's been posted already.

my only reason for reposting the db audiowarez and the tc works one was to help others find a direct post on sidechaining.

it's about helping eachother, not about being a "i know all and i'm not going to share, cause i'm 3l33t" smartass.

RichieV
14-08-2004, 02:22 AM
here you go you big baby

http://www.blackoutaudio.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17118&highlight=waves+chaining

1 of about 10 posts on side chaining on the first page of the search option

Send me a pm if you need me to do a search for you again

The Overfiend
14-08-2004, 03:03 AM
here you go you big baby

http://www.blackoutaudio.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17118&highlight=waves+chaining

1 of about 10 posts on side chaining on the first page of the search option

Send me a pm if you need me to do a search for you again

Why don't you relax. :evil:

RichieV
14-08-2004, 03:13 AM
hey hey!!

You are really taking things too far with that evil emoticon and all!!!

are you trying to give me nightmares?

Patrick DSP
14-08-2004, 03:38 AM
To sidechain the Waves C1(sc) compressor, you need to have both signals going into the effects channel where the VST is insterted (so in Cubse you would have to use a Group channel). If you want to still be able to hear the sidechain signal, you'll have to use some sort of send arrangement, or thewre might be an option I've not used on the plugin....

Also, the sidechain input and the signal you want to be compressed must be panned to opposite sides (for example, kick panned hard (100%) left, bass panned hard right).
Then you just have to set the key mode on the C1 to L->R.
You'll also want to use some sort of centering plugin too, because without it, your bass/pad etc. will still only be coming out of the channel you originally panned it too.

Not much good if you wan't a sterio output though....

Wow, one post by JS on May 15th!
You really did blow this out of proportion with the amount of posts on this topic. Way to be helpful and mature. Oh, thanks for PM me and stating the childish thoughts in your head of your opinion of me. Because as you know a message board on the internet is real life.

And yes I did read this post, and to me it's still not as good of a solution as DBaudioware and TC Works.

Thank god you're not the moderator for this board. But it's too bad that you think you are, and feel you have the right to be a complete tosser, to not just myself, but many other people on this board.

Just a word of advice, more female and less email. Maybe then you'll be better adjusted and balanced to deal with people.

The Overfiend
14-08-2004, 04:11 AM
It is done
(Ving Rhames voice)

Patrick DSP
14-08-2004, 04:12 AM
pw3d!

now time to get out and get drunk

MARKEG
14-08-2004, 04:14 AM
Wow, what's going on here?!!?!!!!

I thought we were all here to help each other??????????????

:(

Richie I see where you're coming from. IF YOU WERE ON A REGULAR BOARD. But DSP has been a member of this forum for ages, he's a great friend of alot of ppl who post here and don't you usually give mates allowances in real life? Sure I should have been carrying an A-Z when I drove through the streets of London and missed the junction, but hey, I'm a lazy cunt and that's just me. Shoot me.

You know, on alot of these 'technical' boards - like for computer programming and the like - I always see comments like 'use the search function ass-hole'. And although it's totally right, you're gonna get pissed off sooooo much typing the same old same old thing, I don't like it when ppl develop this attitude and make out that this is the way it should be. I mean serious richie - do you read every single manual from start to finish? I doubt it. And so ppl are allow not to use the search function every now and then.

I often see posts repeated in this forum and sometimes i've thought 'oh god please use the search function you twit', but if i posted that it would take away from the downright friendliness of this forum. So I don't. Instead someone usually pipes up and posts a load of links to previous topics. I think that's brilliant. No-one whinges and everyone feels good. GREAT. We helped a fellow music maker :)

Really, so many people here are in this forum for the love of the music and DSP is one of the original members. Let's all be a bit more friendly eh. And Patrick, there's really no need to rise to the bait here - isn't that what purerave.com is for??? Hehehehe ;)

Starfuqer
14-08-2004, 04:24 AM
you banned someone because they told someone to search for information ?

MARKEG
14-08-2004, 04:26 AM
??????????????????

i havent banned anyone :eh:

MARKEG
14-08-2004, 04:27 AM
what's that post all about :?:

Starfuqer
14-08-2004, 04:28 AM
it says banned under RichieV

MARKEG
14-08-2004, 04:30 AM
anyway i've been thinking this is something i could really work on to be honest. i'm in the process of developing a new forum/site and i think that we need a section for techy questions that have been asked loads. like a sort of blackout guide to, based on what has been discovered in the posts. then if someone asked a question that has been covered loads, we can just give them a link to the document on it.

hmmm. really good to do this i think. perhaps some of you would like to get involved in compiling the info??? lemme know.

MARKEG
14-08-2004, 04:31 AM
waaaaat?

wow..

hmm.. ok, i think i need a chat with the mods ;)

MARKEG
14-08-2004, 04:32 AM
wow, totally stunned. ok, mods can you pm me?

MARKEG
14-08-2004, 04:35 AM
it takes alot to get banned on this board. but if sam thought it was right, there must've been a reason. so i think i need to speak to the mods before i say anything ;)

278d7e64a374de26f==