PDA

View Full Version : ideas worth keeping?

Basil Rush
14-08-2004, 08:05 PM
I've been experimenting with less loopy sounding things, quite like the bass and kick combo and the overcompressed breakbeat but other than that it's a bit of a mess ...

ftp://80.176.210.21/pub/secretfiles/demo-df-3.mp3

Are there any ideas anything things are worth keeping in this before i give up and do something less experimental instead?

I just started at the beginning and added ideas till i got to the end but I've simply confused myself so it's not arranged at all.

Col
17-08-2004, 08:35 PM
well baz, there is no doubting your production skills, you have provided us with some great advice since my time on the board. ive got a feeling you usually make trance though (forgive me if im wrong) most of the sounds you have chosen to use are too clean/nice for their own good.

dan the acid man
17-08-2004, 08:47 PM
i like the breakbeat and kick, they sound great, im not too keen on the 808 style hat though (but that's a personal thing), im also finding some of the synths sound a little cold and thin, they could do with a few more effects in there to bring them to life a little more

Basil Rush
18-08-2004, 02:34 PM
Do a lot of trance and pop, techno is more of a challenge. I've been working some techno ideas into the trance though which is quite fun and makes the stuff more interesting.

But you're right it's all a bit clean this one isn't it. I've been deliberately avoiding dropping a dirtied up little loop into it, as I'd really like to nail a more clinical but still aggressive sound.

Will experiment with that in mind. Think I might strip out 90% of the synthy sounds though and start again aiming for something you could get your teeth into on the dance floor.

(The break beat is a loop of some kind run through the joemeek mono compresssor we've got on loan and then gated, sounds well up front. The inital transients are way high )

Jimfish
20-08-2004, 01:29 PM
erm, the rides good ;)

hehe

yeah production is dope - i think the main things that give it the trancevibe are the flat bass and the little synth hits that come in a bit after 3;10 - like the scratch effect around that time tho man - what you using? serrato scratch?

Basil Rush
21-08-2004, 04:13 PM
that's a flanger not a scratch ... not very well under control mind you i just quite liked the noise and left it in for now, it's waves metaflanger...

Jimfish
22-08-2004, 01:26 AM
****in hell, you have to show me how you are getting that out of a flanger! but then you are mister production skills so i expect nothing less... ;)

Jimfish
22-08-2004, 01:28 AM
ok, i see it now.. wicked though :)

dirty_bass
23-08-2004, 03:34 PM
Yeah, this is too clinical and straight for techno I think.
Sounds like trance to me.
Even real chilled techno tends to be "there" in your face.
It`s no so much dirt, but more in your face eq and sounds that are needed.
Everything here is quite gentle.
Give us more dude.

Basil Rush
24-08-2004, 03:17 PM
dirty: yeah blatantly not aggressive enough is it.

don't think the eq is going to fix it alone, i'm gonna ditch shit loads of sounds out of it and find one perfect one to fill the gap. bit side tracked now tho, working on something with the vocalist from n trance ... remember them?

Jimfish
25-08-2004, 01:10 AM
yeah , wasnt that bird incredibly fit?

dan the acid man
25-08-2004, 01:27 AM
yeah , wasnt that bird incredibly fit?

i heard she used to be a man, then a woman, then back to a man, then back to being a woman, ...........................joke by the way, dont let her see this she'll sue me :lol: :doh:

j_s
25-08-2004, 04:42 AM
Parts of this work really well, but others I'm not so sure about...

Like the bass sound, though I think it could do without the chord change every 8th bar - sounds a bit cheeky to my ears. As others have mentioned, I think a lot of the synth sounds are too straight sounding...

There's a lot going on though, which is definately a good thing. The structured form helps keep things interesting too. I really like the way the track emerges from the break, I hope you'll keep this if you rework the track...

278d7e64a374de26f==