PDA

View Full Version : What was the record that got you into techno?

serox
17-08-2004, 12:08 PM
Can you rem the record you heard that made the hairs on your neck stand up? For me i think it was cybersonik - technarchy. http://www.discogs.com/release/15172

At the time i was only into early rave/house records (new beat, hithouse,midtown etc), didnt know what or who cybersonik even was at the time. This record stood out for me bigtime, i had to hear more from this genre and these artists.

Francisco Scaramanga
17-08-2004, 12:12 PM
I used to be into well cheesey stuff in the US, Lords of Acid, DJ Keoki, and even worse. Then I moved to the UK, heard CJ Bollands tune, The Prophet, and said wow, whats that! Then someone said if you like that you should go to Atomic Jam - the rest is history.

Eddie
17-08-2004, 12:59 PM
Umek lanicor after hearing it on fuse presents Dave Clarke. Seen him at bugged out, was amazed and then just kept on goin, voodoo, the jam soon i was hooked!

The Overfiend
17-08-2004, 01:43 PM
Laidback Luke - Act The Fool (Touche)
Paul Johnson - The Music In Me (Relief)
Armand Van Helden Vs Dj Sneak - Psychic Bounty Killas (Relief)
Cajmere - Only For You (Green Velvet Remix)
House Of God Surgeon Remix.
Dave Clarke - RED 1-3

Somebody make me a mix of all of those records so I can cream myself to sleep please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

basslinejunkie
17-08-2004, 01:43 PM
there was quite a few but the only one ive been able to get hold of/i.d is madame doubios-road rage on react.proper dirty an pretty savage :rambo:

Frank Dogshit
17-08-2004, 01:44 PM
Carl Cox-Brother Dont Play
Technasia-Evergreen
De Britte Raum-Halebopp

These 3 tunes i heard out the 1st few times i started goin techno clubs.

The Overfiend
17-08-2004, 01:45 PM
Umek lanicor after hearing it on fuse presents Dave Clarke. Seen him at bugged out, was amazed and then just kept on goin, voodoo, the jam soon i was hooked!

The Sounds of K track did it for me on that cd.

basslinejunkie
17-08-2004, 01:46 PM

theres a few crakin tunes on that cd :cool:

Eddie
17-08-2004, 02:13 PM
Ah yes sounds of K also used to love the DC remix of freks on hubbard DJ urban you work it could go on all day! The vinyl pack was deffinately one of the best investments i have ever made!

gumpy green
17-08-2004, 02:17 PM
not shure on any of my first tracks...

but dave clarke at airborne in edinburgh was a defo the main turning point in gettin me hooked on techno........also the nights called LOST(now dogma) wi the likes of chris liebing, IGT, speedy j.

yorkie
17-08-2004, 02:32 PM
i think it was probably a space djz EP that i was given for free whrn i was into proggy stuff.

not sure which 1 but i was given it around July 1999

i was like "Why have they jus' given me this??? It's ace!"

Luke Logan.
17-08-2004, 02:58 PM
Knights of the Jaguar was the first to get me on my merry way and then Ben Sims Dj'ing finished the deal.

serox
17-08-2004, 03:13 PM
wow, so far many people seem to have got into techno from hearing DJ's play records and some of the later techno records. Cmon, some of you here must show ur age :)

The Overfiend
17-08-2004, 03:20 PM
Ok yes I was into Cybotron, Early Mills, The Holy Trinity and Some of the earlier detroit stuff but to be honest I was too far into hip hop to research the music. Some of us took a lil bit of clublife to actually get into the genre, I wasn't a house head persay but I was dancing and raving all over New York before I started to learn the difference between genres.

Esox Lucius
17-08-2004, 03:34 PM
probably the clarke mix of hot on the heels of love, which was on the carl cox - fact mix, which was my first introduction to techno.

i wouldnt say it was a single tune that really got me into techno though, it was the agressors tapes from helter skelter technodrome packs that got me proper hooked.

massplanck
17-08-2004, 03:41 PM
probably the clarke mix of hot on the heels of love, which was on the carl cox - fact mix, which was my first introduction to techno.

i wouldnt say it was a single tune that really got me into techno though, it was the agressors tapes from helter skelter technodrome packs that got me proper hooked.

Was going to blurt out a list of cool tunes but Fact 1 is the first techno CD that I heard after beheading my metal persona.

miss bass
17-08-2004, 03:48 PM
Umek's Gatex tune -without the beat. First one i heard i guess.

basslinejunkie
17-08-2004, 05:29 PM

exactly the same as me,the aggressor an ribbz tapes are what got me in2 techno in the 1st place,unfortunately road rage and a few others are the only tunes ive been able to pick up :cry:

TripleX
17-08-2004, 05:31 PM
not a single record, but a fine audio records mix cd.
old schranz sound :lol:

maily
17-08-2004, 05:31 PM
got into Aphex twin through John Peel and absolutely loved Quoth, at the time i didn't realise it was techno,

I'd also heard some of the dave clarke mixes from the john peel show, and loved some of those tracks, but didn't know what they were, susequently found out they were:

surgeon - magneze
Bizz od - Get Up (does anyone else know this tune?)
Dave Clarke - Red 3

still love all 3.

after that,

thomas bangalter - trax on da rocks - Outrun!

Patrick DSP
17-08-2004, 06:42 PM
I love/loved it all back then, but binary finary's 1998 really pushed me toward techno. ;)

Col
17-08-2004, 06:52 PM
no particular record. i think the defining moment for me was listening to an acid techno mix from a dj called ramos (of helterskelter/north fame) i think it was back in 98.

Honeey
17-08-2004, 07:25 PM
Dj Misjah - Funky Drive
Yim - A Man In Two Suitcases
Richie Hawtin/Plasticman
got me into the real pure techno

oldbugger
17-08-2004, 08:00 PM
not telling you coz i dont want to show my age :lol:

not really techno as such but the stuff that got me hooked was tunes like.

beltram - mentasm and energy flash
bassheads - is there anybody out there
i loved all the ragga stuff like SL2 - way in my brain ...etc
marshall jefferson - move your body
2 bad mice - bombscare

i was a bit of a raver befor i really got into techno. but back then it wasnt all split ...u just went out ravin ;)

oldbugger
17-08-2004, 08:02 PM

2 bad mice - bombscare

i was a bit of a raver befor i really got into techno. but back then it wasnt all split ...u just went out ravin ;)

nearly forgot....antone here actually remember spiral tribe? totally hooked me did that shit...wicked. :clap:

Stella Boy
17-08-2004, 08:13 PM
I was into hardcore, slammin vinyl kinda stuff, but still bought a few techno bits now and then (mainly on the housier tip like pacific records)but I guess it was DJ Hell's My Definition of House & CJ Bolland's Camargue which turned my attention fully to techno. Mantra is the daddy :cool:

serox
17-08-2004, 10:19 PM

2 bad mice - bombscare

nearly forgot....antone here actually remember spiral tribe? totally hooked me did that shit...wicked. :clap:

i rem there partys and i sitll have some of their early records. not really into them like i use to be tho

oldbugger
17-08-2004, 10:32 PM

2 bad mice - bombscare

i rem there partys and i sitll have some of their early records. not really into them like i use to be tho

no..i must admit some of it sounds pretty shit now, but it was amazing at the time.

scotttechfunk
17-08-2004, 10:52 PM
Lawrie Immersion "Rave".

Katie
17-08-2004, 11:50 PM
Ah yes sounds of K also used to love the DC remix of freks on hubbard DJ urban you work it could go on all day! The vinyl pack was deffinately one of the best investments i have ever made!

Ahh i love that freaks on hubbard! think i kind of overdid it though listening to it constantly! :lol:

samba
17-08-2004, 11:52 PM
One night in NYC - Chris Liebing rmx of Horrorist
The Bomb - Phil Kieran some rmx tho..

some track that went 'put some clothes on dat ass and you respect yourself' - anyone?

Chris Lib - Bad day at black frog creek

young un eh... but have done some exploring/history research to catch up =)

Tiptoe
17-08-2004, 11:52 PM
can't remember the bloody name now was midnight tune at orbit for ages when i first stared erm its the justin berkovic tune on the sven vath sounds of the first season cd i think. Anyone got a track listing for that
?

DJ Corbzy
17-08-2004, 11:56 PM
Either:

Marko Nastic - Devil in my Pants
Thomas Brunschmidt vs Kramer - Himmelsfeger [Kramer Mix]

that's when I started playing techno in my sets and starting looking more into the genre, plus a cd i got off Mark at the Grove really got the ball rolling for me...

Metadog
18-08-2004, 01:03 AM
the liberators cd It's not Intelligent...it's not from Detroit, but it's F**king 'avin it! really fired me up for acid techno

Frank Dogshit
18-08-2004, 01:12 AM
some track that went 'put some clothes on dat ass and you respect yourself' - anyone?
=)

player 3 that one mate,still the best player record to date imo.

Frank Dogshit
18-08-2004, 01:20 AM
can't remember the bloody name now was midnight tune at orbit for ages when i first stared erm its the justin berkovic tune on the sven vath sounds of the first season cd i think. Anyone got a track listing for that
?

that 'buxom mad chips' track was it?? :clap:

thats a wicked track. :love:

samba
18-08-2004, 07:56 AM
i'm goin playin'

Paul Zykotik
18-08-2004, 10:43 AM
Wasn't a tune, it was the old Dreamscape packs from 94/95 with people like Daz Saund, Alex Hazzard, Trevor Rockliffe, Craig Walsh, Dave Angel etc.

I lived in the south-west at the time and they were really big on techno in 95. In fact one of my favourite tapes is from our very own Mark EG, playing some seriously hard acid, the likes of which I've never heard since.

I would love to know what all those tunes on those tapes were - I don't think I ever will find out though :cry:

Patrick
18-08-2004, 11:42 AM
Showing my age here, but for me it was all about this album :

http://stat.discogs.com/R/57919-1082737307.jpg

http://www.discogs.com/release/57919

I'd been to a few parties and heard some techno in amongst the acid house selections and never knew what they were, but finding a cd copy of that album by pure chance in a second hand shop stopped me in my tracks and made me realise that techno was a whole different world.

herman
18-08-2004, 12:38 PM

I'd been to a few parties and heard some techno in amongst the acid house selections and never knew what they were, but finding a cd copy of that album by pure chance in a second hand shop stopped me in my tracks and made me realise that techno was a whole different world.

Phew im glad someone else posted something from this era i was begining to feel old there.

it was nude photo - rythmn is rythmn (transmat) for me i suppose you could say cybotron - techno city (fantasy) but we didn't even know what techno was then it was just all electro , bloody hell was that really 1984 ,20 years ago! jesus i am old ;)

T
18-08-2004, 01:23 PM
4th Sign-CJ Bolland

one of many

Deathfactory
18-08-2004, 02:06 PM
Mostly tracks I heard a DJ play on the local student radio, although I did buy the odd techno record. As far as I know there was no rave culture in New Zealand, back in the day and I hated clubs, I was into punk and metal gigs.

Maurizio - M4
Robert Armani - Supermarket Sweep
Caustic Window - Garden Of Linmari
Plastikman - Fuk

2nd hand copy of Tresor II Berlin-Detroit A Techno Alliance CD.

Seeing Phil Subhead at Studio 9 in Wellington June 2000.

I would trace my interest in electronic music back to groups/records like Front 242 - Geography, Foetus, Throbbing Gristle - 2nd Annual Report, Cabaret Voltaire - Live Leeds 1979, A Split Second - Smell Of Buddha, blahblahblah.

The Overfiend
18-08-2004, 02:26 PM

Phew im glad someone else posted something from this era i was begining to feel old there.

it was nude photo - rythmn is rythmn (transmat) for me i suppose you could say cybotron - techno city (fantasy) but we didn't even know what techno was then it was just all electro , bloody hell was that really 1984 ,20 years ago! jesus i am old ;)

Nobody got into techno because of Africa Bambatta Planet Rock?

dirty_bass
18-08-2004, 02:33 PM
Front 242: Headhunter V.1.1 1988
Classic!!

The Overfiend
18-08-2004, 03:12 PM
Front 242: Headhunter V.1.1 1988
Classic!!

Ooooooooohhhhhh Dbass with the real deal!

The Overfiend
18-08-2004, 03:12 PM
Ok since it's cool to show our age in here then I have to say People Are Still Having Sex is up there with me.

serox
18-08-2004, 03:26 PM
Mostly tracks I heard a DJ play on the local student radio, although I did buy the odd techno record. As far as I know there was no rave culture in New Zealand, back in the day and I hated clubs, I was into punk and metal gigs.

Maurizio - M4
Robert Armani - Supermarket Sweep
Caustic Window - Garden Of Linmari
Plastikman - Fuk

2nd hand copy of Tresor II Berlin-Detroit A Techno Alliance CD.

Seeing Phil Subhead at Studio 9 in Wellington June 2000.

I would trace my interest in electronic music back to groups/records like Front 242 - Geography, Foetus, Throbbing Gristle - 2nd Annual Report, Cabaret Voltaire - Live Leeds 1979, A Split Second - Smell Of Buddha, blahblahblah.

plastikman - fuk, damn not heard that in years. will have to hunt that out

ReakZ
18-08-2004, 03:32 PM
Reck - A Spark of Life(Eukatech)... ;)

Komplex
19-08-2004, 12:27 AM
No 1 record got me into techno, it was a natural progression since childhood.

The first tunes I liked were shit like Second phase - Mentasm and LFO-LFO etc. Then later on I started liking Jeff Mills stuff but on the whole it was a step by step process I think. I think my older brother had a bit of an influence exposing me to the electronic stuff, but not the "pure" techno sound.

maily
19-08-2004, 02:20 AM
NIN were quite a big influence on me, in that they showed me there was heavy stuff that wasn't metal :twisted:
there was one of their tracks on a tape that came free with select mag....
found it,

NIN - Wish

same tape has got, Disposible heroes of hiphoprisy - calfornia uber alles!!!

and off another tape,

Orbital - Chime/Impact (live) :love:

how the **** could i forget:

LSG - Hearts, still looking for this :lol:

maily
19-08-2004, 02:26 AM
shit, that a lot more than 1 record, impossible to nail it down to 1 though :scratch:

Jav
19-08-2004, 04:01 AM
Sven Vath... ;)

The Overfiend
22-08-2004, 08:02 PM
Laidback Luke - Act The Fool (Touche)
Paul Johnson - The Music In Me (Relief)
Armand Van Helden Vs Dj Sneak - Psychic Bounty Killas (Relief)
Cajmere - Only For You (Green Velvet Remix)
House Of God Surgeon Remix.
Dave Clarke - RED 1-3

Somebody make me a mix of all of those records so I can cream myself to sleep please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Would someone really make me a mix of these please?

maily
22-08-2004, 08:16 PM
yeah man,
if i owned em ;)

scienceofuse
23-08-2004, 11:01 AM
I used to only listen to hardcore punk and ska (and some surf music), but the energy I felt when I went to my first techno party was undescribable. I started taping Umek's weekly radio show "Consumer recreation" and got into techno and electro, I started buying records and it went from there.
The first record I bought was Aux 88's "Xeo-genetic", but the first techno track I heard was Umek's "Lanicor" about five years ago, an MP3 off DC's Fuse album... When I went to my first techno party, Kanzyani was spinning and I was immediately hooked... But the funny thing is I started exploring electronic music when I first heard a Thunderdome hardcore compilation... The Massochist "MzKzM" - anyone know this track? Cheeky one :lol:

278d7e64a374de26f==