PDA

View Full Version : open and closed hi-hat rides

tekara
19-08-2004, 08:59 PM
ive searched this topic before and although people suggest that i should add EQ, distortion and compression, there is something that i STILL dont understand about the concept of sequencing floaty open and closed hi-hat tracks that you hear in the mix.

Basically what im curioius about, is what quantitize functions do you use to create that kind of a feeling?

Im talking about the typical hi-hat floaty sound u hear in typical techno tracks (yes! im typical too!).

Right now im using 1/16 and placing the hi-hat notes via midi and adding a bit of swing and bouncing to audio so i can add reverb. Unfortunately i still cant get that feel. I talked to my other buddy and he told me that it definately has something to do with the the quantitization and not with the reverb.

So my main question is what are your quantitization settings? Does this have anything to do with creating that floaty sound? the sound that kind of makes the hi-hats "airy" in the mix.

sorry for the repetition. Its been bothering me for quite some time.

cheers

:shock:

professor
19-08-2004, 09:38 PM
not sure what you mean by an "airy" highhat. post some examples?
are you talking about rides? they are pretty floaty seomtimes.

Col
19-08-2004, 10:32 PM
if your wanting a lighter feel, the cut some freqencies. i suppose choosing the right sample in the first place helps too.

Jimfish
20-08-2004, 01:15 AM
yeah try putting another small hat pattern on top of your normal ones - just stick a few in and put a ping pong delay on em - add a wee bit of top end distortion and filter em right up so they are very very thin - then turn the vol up a bit so you can hear it again & maybe add a reverb lightly and that will open things up somwhat for you :)

dirty_bass
20-08-2004, 02:50 AM
yeah try putting another small hat pattern on top of your normal ones - just stick a few in and put a ping pong delay on em - add a wee bit of top end distortion and filter em right up so they are very very thin - then turn the vol up a bit so you can hear it again & maybe add a reverb lightly and that will open things up somwhat for you
Yeah

What he said.

Um, I think I know what you mean, combine what jim said, with some interesting groove quantisation.

But basically, it`s techno, don`t look for rules. Muck about until something sounds good to you.

rounser
20-08-2004, 04:47 AM
Difficult to describe, but you can get a constant flow of high hat "air" if you chop off the attack and loop the remaining tail into a constant tone. Sometimes that's easier to manipulate to get a sizzle or "running water" sound than high hats with an attack.

dirty_bass
20-08-2004, 05:34 AM
Heavily limit a ride. Sidechain the limiter (or compressor) to a kick so it pumps and fizzes. Plenty of verb too. I think thats what you are aiming for.

tekara
20-08-2004, 08:31 AM
thank u all so much for the tips,

will try those methods when i get home tonight

cheers! :lol:

thetonewrecka
30-08-2004, 09:13 PM
Take that noisy neighbors hubcap that always falls off and cover it with some tin foil. Hang it on a wire coat hanger and slap it against the wall real hard. Put your bare hand between the wall and swinging hubcap for a more "muted" sound...other than your yelling.

it works sometimes.

my favorite high hats riffs were made wearing full suits of armor and throwing myself down long flights of stairs with a few mics attached. You get the "hit" of the metal at impact and me going "sssss" "ahhhhh".

Evil G
30-08-2004, 11:19 PM
ha ha! :)

networkacid
31-08-2004, 02:02 AM
my favorite high hats riffs were made wearing full suits of armor and throwing myself down long flights of stairs with a few mics attached. You get the "hit" of the metal at impact and me going "sssss" "ahhhhh".

:lol:

What kind of mike do you recommend while on the downward trajectory? Shure SM-58?

Slamming down a dustbin lid is good for a good clunky snare sound too.. Or the toilet lid!

278d7e64a374de26f==