PDA

View Full Version : 909 and SX

zaalmoetlos
21-08-2004, 01:00 PM
Hi can anyone help me with this

we just got a 909 and connected it to cubase when we hit the buttons on the 909 we do get sound and we have it connected to the midi out on our soundcard (m-audiophile 24/96) but we don't get any sound when using it via cubase.

does anyone know how this works

thanks

Debroglie
21-08-2004, 03:07 PM
It depends on which way you wanna use your 909 when it's connected to Cubase ! You have three options, 1)internal Sync 2) Midi sync 3) Din Sync . Which way are you wanting to use the 909 ? Also I have PDF manual for the 909 if you need it.

zaalmoetlos
21-08-2004, 04:38 PM
It depends on which way you wanna use your 909 when it's connected to Cubase ! You have three options, 1)internal Sync 2) Midi sync 3) Din Sync . Which way are you wanting to use the 909 ? Also I have PDF manual for the 909 if you need it.

we want to use cubase as sequencer so we can draw drumpatterns in cubase

mux
21-08-2004, 04:59 PM
Hint: DON'T DO THAT.

IMHO, the only reason to have a TR-909 is for the full package - the sequencer and the sounds. If you're going to sequence it from Cubase, I would recommend you get a VSTi sampler instead and load it full of one of the many well-made TR-909 sample kits out there.

Seriously, the magic of having a real TR-909 is so that you DON'T have to use the computer! Learn the sequencer, and *play* with it!

As for your actualy problem - are you sending on the same MIDI channel as the 909 is set to?

zaalmoetlos
21-08-2004, 05:07 PM
As for your actualy problem - are you sending on the same MIDI channel as the 909 is set to?

yep both are set on the same channel

Debroglie
21-08-2004, 05:35 PM
Hint: DON'T DO THAT.

IMHO, the only reason to have a TR-909 is for the full package - the sequencer and the sounds. If you're going to sequence it from Cubase, I would recommend you get a VSTi sampler instead and load it full of one of the many well-made TR-909 sample kits out there.

Seriously, the magic of having a real TR-909 is so that you DON'T have to use the computer! Learn the sequencer, and *play* with it!

I'm with you on that ! gotta love the external insrtument and shuffle function of the 909 :roll:

BTW way Mux I've beening to ask you do you know Soundproof in Van ? I'm longtime friends with Sonofjacob , just curious if you know those guys or play with them !?

:roll:

messyfuture
21-08-2004, 05:41 PM
try holding shift and pressing the tempo mode button.

There should be three ways you can set it as mentrioned above, try chainging these around,

if thats not it it might be a problem with the midi port on the 909?

mux
21-08-2004, 07:17 PM
[quote=mux]
BTW way Mux I've beening to ask you do you know Soundproof in Van ? I'm longtime friends with Sonofjacob , just curious if you know those guys or play with them !?

Hell yeah! Trevor is a wicked guy, I've done a live-pa at his clubnight "ouY kcuF", and he asked me to do a live-pa for the Soundproof party "Trancemission 7" a few weeks ago. In fact, here's about 25 minutes of it (http://lfo.fsck.org/%7Edrew/mux_-_four_tracks_from_Trancemission_7_-_20040717.mp3)! :)

Where'd you meet him?

Debroglie
21-08-2004, 07:48 PM
Wow crazy small world .... Me and Trev have been friends since High School .... and we used to spin and make trax together until I moved to Japan about 5 years ago .

How's Vancouver holding up ?

Thanks for the links to sets I'll definitely will check them out .

tekara
23-08-2004, 07:11 AM
wow i didnt know there were other members on this board originally from Vancouver. Im from there too! lived there all my life but i moved to Hong Kong 3 years ago....

Is Vancouver still saturated with trance and breaks? All i remember when i left were those parties on No.6 Road Richmond, and the occasional party at Plaza of Nations!

Whats new in the scene down there?

Hope techno is getting more exposure

auditory hallucinations
23-08-2004, 08:34 AM
This is something I was gonna start a post on…I'm thinking of getting a tr909 but am not sure how it will interact with my sequencer (sx).

I want to use the 909 as the master, for it's sequencer and timing. So am I able to sync sx with it fairly easily? I would then really only use sx to host vst samplers, and to sequence out these samples.

How many sync outputs does the 909 have? I currently use my drumstation to sync the 303, but would prefer to use the 909 obviously - can I sync both the 303 and sx to it?

Thanx...

Debroglie
25-08-2004, 04:41 PM
wow i didnt know there were other members on this board originally from Vancouver. Im from there too! lived there all my life but i moved to Hong Kong 3 years ago....

Is Vancouver still saturated with trance and breaks? All i remember when i left were those parties on No.6 Road Richmond, and the occasional party at Plaza of Nations!

Whats new in the scene down there?

Hope techno is getting more exposure

I'm not sure about Van. now but when I left it was housey as ever and "Ferry" Corsten was unfortunetly playing regulary unfortunetly :dontevengothere: but the great thing I loved about Van was the connections with people into Techno, it was strong and the support for one another was honest and kind.

What's Hong Kong like ?

DJZeMigL
26-08-2004, 01:07 AM
Using yer 909 as the Midi Clock master should b fairly easy 2 setup, don't think there should b many probs if u are carefull not to go to far on the cpu hogging with SX's work!

But I haven't personally tryed it myself so I can't b 100% sure... maybe some1 with the magicbox can help ya!

Z

Debroglie
27-08-2004, 04:22 PM
I have a 909 and SX so I'll try clocking SX from the 909 and let you all now :)

auditory hallucinations
27-08-2004, 05:27 PM
You lucky fella! Yeh please let us know how you get on...

Also, the 909 displays the tempo I think - is that correct? I think I can use the clock from my 303 and sync the 909 to it, and then sync cubase via 909 midi out - I'm assuming the 909 display will then change if I change the 303 speed control?

DJZeMigL
28-08-2004, 10:57 AM
Don't know if this will work as yer master clock will b the 303, so in fact the 909 should b receiving clock and not sending... consequence: SX will not receive a midi clock hense it will have nothing 2 sync 2... UNLESS the 909 still sends Midi Clock signals even if it is slaved 2 the 303!?

Z

auditory hallucinations
01-09-2004, 12:36 PM
Yeh thanks Z...I think the way round it for me would be to continue syncing the 303 from my drumstation (it converts midi to sync24) and use the 909 as the master, sending midi clock to cubase.

I'm on the verge of buying a 909 at the moment, for quite a decent price. One of the buttons along the bottom is missing, but you can get replacements pretty cheaply.

I just hope the deal goes through!

tekara
02-09-2004, 10:06 AM
the scene out here is not that great. It has a decent hip hop scene but techno is almost non-existent. We havent had any good acts coming through here in years! On a more cheerful note, i think joris voorn will be playing a liveset here next month so we'll see if that goes through.

How is Tokyo? I hear its banging out there. My best friend is going to move there and if things go well i may head down to shinjuku myself.

cheers :)

I'm not sure about Van. now but when I left it was housey as ever and "Ferry" Corsten was unfortunetly playing regulary unfortunetly :dontevengothere: but the great thing I loved about Van was the connections with people into Techno, it was strong and the support for one another was honest and kind.

What's Hong Kong like ?[/quote]

Debroglie
02-09-2004, 02:58 PM
Ya Tokyo has a pretty striving scene ! If you ever come over... make sure to send me a mail and we can arrange to go hit up some parties !

Cheers, Debroglie.

auditory hallucinations
05-09-2004, 07:07 PM
Hey Debroglie,

Did you manage to sync sx from the 909?I just got my 909 yesterday and have tried, but totally failed!

The help file in sx says it won't sync to and accept midi clock as the master, which is kinda worrying! I've got the 909 midi out going to my soundcard (delta 1010) but sx won't start when i hit run.

Thanx for any help

Ritzi Lee
06-09-2004, 08:09 AM
You lucky fella! Yeh please let us know how you get on...

Also, the 909 displays the tempo I think - is that correct? I think I can use the clock from my 303 and sync the 909 to it, and then sync cubase via 909 midi out - I'm assuming the 909 display will then change if I change the 303 speed control?

If the 909 displays a BPM tempo, while you want to sequence from SX or Logic,
it won't work. You have to have a blank screen, or just display'd the number 1. (midi ch)

It must work.
Try holding down the shift button while you power on the 909.
(like one of the members mentioned earlier)

auditory hallucinations
06-09-2004, 12:12 PM
I've done some research on the web, and come across a few bits of info that state Cubase sx will not accept midi clock and slave to it. Apparently the older versions (ie vst) will do, but not the latest one - go figure.

So now my sequencer is rather redundant! Can anyone recommend any decent other choices I should have a look at, preferably ones that will slave to a midi clock signal from my 909.

I like the look of Ableton and will check that out, but I'd be interested to hear any recomendations. Mainly just want something that can host vst's for kontakt etc...

Peace

Ritzi Lee
06-09-2004, 12:19 PM
I've done some research on the web, and come across a few bits of info that state Cubase sx will not accept midi clock and slave to it. Apparently the older versions (ie vst) will do, but not the latest one - go figure.

So now my sequencer is rather redundant! Can anyone recommend any decent other choices I should have a look at, preferably ones that will slave to a midi clock signal from my 909.

I like the look of Ableton and will check that out, but I'd be interested to hear any recomendations. Mainly just want something that can host vst's for kontakt etc...

Peace

ableton live 4.

DJZeMigL
06-09-2004, 02:54 PM
SX3 is almost out .. the return of a lot of old trusted funtions that have been missing, ex: Mixer maps,... so It probably means proper midi sync aswell! We'll just have 2 wait and C

Z

auditory hallucinations
07-09-2004, 09:15 AM
Thanks guys...

I downloaded the demo of Ableton Live and had a play around last night - I'm sold!

Seems perfect for what I want to do, and it sync'd up to the 909 straight away. It did crash a few times though, but I'm hoping that's just the demo.

It seemed to have a nice sound to it too - whereas I feel Cubase kinda "blunts" audio in a certain way, samples in Live had a really good natural sound with just a touch of bite.

Debroglie
10-09-2004, 05:00 AM
OK GUYS SORRY FOR NOT GETTING BACK TO YOU SOONER BUT I WAS TO BUSY PLAYING LAST WEEK AND TO BUSY TO CHECK THE FORUM. ANYWAYS WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO IS .

1)SETUP YOUR 909 TO RECEIVE BEAT CLOCK IN YOUR MIDI SETUP APPLICATION .

2) IN CUBASE SX GO TO TRANSPORT--> SYNC SETUP AND IN THE SEND MIDI CLOCK BOX YOU CAN SEE WHAT INSTRUMENTS YOU CAN SEND MIDI CLOCK MESSAGES ‘NOW HERE COMES THE STUPID PART!’YOU HAVE SELECT THE 909 TO BE SENT THE MIDI CLOCK MESSAGE (OF COURSE) BUT..... FOR SOME STRANGE REASON YOU HAVE TO DESELECT EVERYTHING ELSE OR IT WON'T CLOCK!

3) HOLD DOWN THE SHIFT KEY ON THE 909 AND PRESS THE TEMPO MODE BUTTON ONCE OR TWICE UNTIL THE ZERO IS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE 909'S SCREEN , AND YOUR READY TO ROCK! AS FOR CLOCKING SX TO YOUR 909 FORGET IT CAUSE AS YOU MAY KNOW, STEINBERG WAS STUPID ENOUGH TO FORGOT TO IMPLEMENT SUCH SIMPLE FEATURE ! BUT SX3 LOOKS PRETTY SWEET:)

PEACE DEBROGLIE

zaalmoetlos
10-09-2004, 02:54 PM
thnx man

278d7e64a374de26f==