PDA

View Full Version : PC to Mac - Easy ?

miasma man
23-08-2004, 10:51 AM
Morning guys,

Just wondered if anyone knows, is there an easy way to transfer all our tracks and data etc (finished and unfinished) from a PC to Apple Mac easily?

We have heard rumours that transferring data is not all that straight forward. Our main software will be Cubase SX.

Is it easy and straightforward or are there likely to be any problems? If so, how do we get around them ?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

MM

MARKEG
23-08-2004, 11:21 AM
i've tried the exact thing you;'re on about. i bought a mac about 3 yrs ago.

tbh, it's taken me about three years to get used to the mac. but now i love it. you have to get out of the mind set of using it 'the same' as the pc though.

basically there's alot LESS software available for the mac. that;'s hard to get used to when you've been spoilt with kazza or the like. but what it does do is narrow down your working to the fundamentals of music making. i like that alot about it,and that's it's strength (although your weekness for the first few years!!!).

basically tranfering your audio files is easy. i was told that converting wavs to aiffs is best but after using just plains wavs i really havent encountered any probs.

one thing i've never been able to get used to on the mac is the editing side of everything. peak and spark are just awful compared to soundforge imo. in that respect i would be lost without a pc.

but apart from that i just find that osx 10.3.5 is beautiful. the way you organise your files is so logical (you really dont need to worry about partitioning like you do on the pc cause everything is given it's place in neat folders - and should be in those folders for everything to work properly).

there's a neat program called psync x (or carbon copy cloner) that enables you to make a bootable restoration image of your main hd on another hd. which means that should it crash, you can immediately restore to a perfect working system. with psync x you can set up cron style jobs that back up on a scheduled time, every week. it's brilliant.

miasma man
23-08-2004, 02:19 PM
Hey cool,

There's some useful stuff there. We shall check out those bits of software.

TBH we didn't really want to upgrade just yet but we have been stuck now for a few months on the PC cos after we upgraded to Cubase SX 2 the record starting point would be different for each track and we couldn't progress things. This was the main driving point for the upgrade, we've tried to sort it but nothing's really happened, see past posts. Hopefully after the upgrade things will start moving again...

Cheers,

MM

278d7e64a374de26f==