PDA

View Full Version : Quantising in techno

Adverse
30-03-2003, 12:43 PM
hey i was wondering if i could get some general information on how quantisation is used in making techno and from there i can possibly ask some more exact questions if need be.

cheers.

Barely Human
30-03-2003, 01:37 PM
Im not really sure what you mean. If you mean quantization in general than its kinda hard to say anything, but it is important to keep everything running in time. If you asked about quantizing the bass or snares or something else, then im sure a more presise answer can be given.

Nomak
30-03-2003, 02:33 PM
This is a question I wonder about about too. not sure if its the same though? Do you mean how to get that kind of Syncopate feeling that minimal techno tracks have? Im thinking surgeon and regis here.

Barely Human
30-03-2003, 02:40 PM
A lot of that is done by slightly off setting when things hit, similar to groove on roland groovebox or shuffle on fruity.

Adverse
30-03-2003, 02:51 PM
there, i'd like to know more about how such things.. regis and surgeon have a great feel in their rhythms.

i kind of wanted a explantion of how swing/shuffle/groove works too.. or how some people apply it to techno.

Barely Human
30-03-2003, 04:03 PM
If your using cubase, then put a pattern down, lets say a snare. Then copy the channel and paste the same pattern onto this channel. Then select all of the second pattern and move it a bit to the right, unil it sounds in time, then take some of the notes out of the first patern and you should have a groove lik effect. Keep doing this with diferent patterns util you get the aquired, funkey sound.

Adverse
30-03-2003, 04:57 PM
cheers :)

MARKEG
30-03-2003, 08:52 PM
excellent advice!

DJZeMig_L
30-03-2003, 09:10 PM
In cucase sx,

Put some notes down...

on the channel settings (inspector - left side) choose as an insert the quantizer...

Z

Basil Rush
01-04-2003, 10:46 PM
Yeah - a heavy shuffle makes things sound nice and angular. And it all depends where you put the emphasis in the rhythm, try something percussive on the last sixteenth of the bar for a really rolling feel. On three sixteeths before the snare for a funkier feel.

Shuffle or swing basically slides the even sixteenths in a bar forward in time a little, 100% shuffle (something like 16D/E in Logic Audio) is a triplet feel. Try putting something on 16th triplets at the same time to see what i mean. Makes things sound very housey at slower tempos...

Hard house often has a heavy shuffle whilst trancier stuff tends to have less of one ...

If your sequencer has a groove quantise function you can probably do some weirder things !

278d7e64a374de26f==