PDA

View Full Version : M8 MAGAZINE REVIEWS UP ON MAIN SITE!

MARKEG
24-08-2004, 01:20 PM
Well what can I say? Just a big, honest thank you to everyone who pulled together to help get these reviews done this month - at such short notice too. I didn't use them all but I used as many as I could for the space we've got on the page. Typing all of those would have been near on impossible for me with this damn hand!

Massive thanks. I owe you all a drink :)

www.blackoutaudio.co.uk/frontpage.html

PS The mag will be out in about 3-4 weeks ;)

MARKEG
24-08-2004, 01:25 PM
Can I just confirm that when I said 'You all', I actually meant just those that did reviews.

Phew, glad I noticed that one ;)

:lol: :lol: :crackup:

teknorich
24-08-2004, 01:39 PM
I'm not too sure what to think of M8 magazine to be honest. I used to love it when I was younger. I used to be a real happy hardcore fan, and that was literally the only magazine at the time which gave it any column inches. Then all of a sudden it changed. They got a new editor, and Hardcore was gone, it was all about "stylish" music like funky house, they had a big fashion section, and it had Jo Guest on the cover of every issue. What?! Also, their motto, which had always been on the front page - "Convert, don't comply" - dissapeared. How strange... They just went after making money rather than representing the scene, and I've never bought a copy since. Sell outs!

But then to hear that they have techno reviews by Mark could mean that things have changed round there. Do they have a new editor? Have they got rid of that t*sser editor Micky McMonagle (or whatever his name was)?? Is it a magazine worth reading again? Opinions please...

eyes without a face
24-08-2004, 01:45 PM
wikid Mark, nice one

some good reviews there people!

;)

Frank Dogshit
24-08-2004, 02:09 PM
i think M8 is a decent read myself compared to a lot of magazines that you find on the shelves.

they designate a lot of articles to techno and ive read some very interesting interviews with certain techno djs.

gets the thumbs up from me,although i must admit i havnt bought a copy in about 5 months but before then it was good. :lol:

teknorich
24-08-2004, 02:22 PM
Will flick through a copy in WHSmiths then. See if they've sorted themselves out. Always good to take a look in the shop first - try before you buy!

gary_human
24-08-2004, 02:56 PM
Whatever happend to WAX magazine - that was the best mag ever for representing techno and the like - especially acid techno?!!

Why did they pull it?

the only reason I read / buy M8 is for the techno reviews. Aint ever been anyone i wanna read about in there - they need some better articles else it dont have a long life in my toilet!

MARKEG
24-08-2004, 03:05 PM
what happened was M8 went all cheesy for a hell of a long time. i think when some of us were designated to work on 'Wax' (their sister mag) it got even worse. when i went back after Wax went down and it just awful. then the new editor came along.

i have to say since he's been in place the content has got alot better. but i still think it could improve. but for now i think that it's on the right track and i definitely think it's the best of the commercial mags that are out there. still it's going to be along time until we get another 'Wax' on a commercial level, especially with the rise of the net.

never say never though. i really think demand for a truly international full size a4 mag that covers the underground music is rising. i really hope someone bits the bullet soon or else i might find myself having to take matters into my own hands. it's an idea i've always loved the idea of but never had the balls to do it. perhaps the new site will take me even closer.

meanwhile enjoy the reviews.

teknorich
24-08-2004, 03:33 PM
The worst thing about what happened with M8 was that they had a big subscription offer just before they changed styles. Me, and hundreds of other gullible fools, took out 12 month subscriptions to the magazine, in exchange for free (hardcore) CD mixes, t-shirts etc. Then literally two issues later it had changed into FHM with a free house CD on the front. They tricked a lot of people into subscribing, then once they had their money they used it to launch themselves as a trendy mag. It was all a cynical trick, cos the CDs etc they gave away with the subscription offer were all hardcore mixes, as the people who would take up the subscriptions wanted to hear that music. Then, once they had cashed our cheques, they turned their backs on us. It was an absolute disgrace, and I'm glad it failed as a cheesy magazine. Karma anyone?!

I take Mark's word for it that it has sorted itself out now, with a new editor, and better music content. I definitely miss Wax mag, but if M8 is improving again that can only be a good thing.

xfive
24-08-2004, 04:37 PM
www.blackoutaudio.co.uk/frontpage.html

Heh oops... theres that page loading bug again :/

Louk
24-08-2004, 09:19 PM
nice one mark :D

Thank you

Louk

romelpotter
24-08-2004, 09:35 PM
there's some wicked reviews in there :lol: :lol: :lol:

romelpotter
24-08-2004, 10:48 PM
there's some wicked reviews in there :lol: :lol: :lol:

:oops: there ALL wicked reviews in there i ment to put :doh: :doh: (danny looks like a tit) ;) :lol:

Tiptoe
24-08-2004, 11:06 PM
my pleasure mar was buzzin to do one. :lol:

Tiptoe
24-08-2004, 11:07 PM
mark even :oops:

Kevin Gorman
25-08-2004, 04:18 AM
there is a problem when i try viewing the review pages, it shows up all in Ascii

278d7e64a374de26f==