PDA

View Full Version : What do you do...

serox
26-08-2004, 03:26 PM
What do you do when coming on the decks after some one else.

a) mix into his record and continue

b) wait for the record to finish then stick yours on

Many people i know will never mix into the record that is playing. They can mix it, thats not the problem. They would rather just start there set fresh with one of their own records.

Sunil
26-08-2004, 03:28 PM
a) mix into his record and continue

mattboyslim
26-08-2004, 03:47 PM
unless you're a big dj making a statement that you've arrived and you're on the decks then no you should not stop the previous persons record. i find it really annoying when unknowns do it. who the **** do they think they are?

also, i don't think you should ever stop the record then start with something that jsut has plain old beats at the start. a nice synthy atmospheric intro is always nice to hear at the start of a set

Sunil
26-08-2004, 03:53 PM
yeah, unless you've got some kind of special intro or summat, there's no reason to just stop and start again. You can let people know you're there by quickly letting them 'ave it, not stopping the flow of the music and announcing to everyone"Hey, this is my first record, I'm here now!".

T
26-08-2004, 03:55 PM
yeah its got to be a bad ass quality intro or else keep the groove flowing. I can understand why dj's who may be going to play a specific style of techno may start afresh like this and it can work well. Generally I don't like sets just starting with straight 4/4 even on recorded mixes...I think even a brief atmospheric intro can set the tone for what is to come better than just wacking in yer first track. Bit fussy maybe! Helps put your own signature on the mix as well. No right or wrong just my preference!

dirty_bass
26-08-2004, 05:41 PM
Let the last record play, and switch the deck off for a slow down before it finishes.
Then I normally ask for a round of applause for whovere has just finished, and put on a track with a nice spooky intro.
That way, if you change the mood, it`s a different chapter with a beginning and and end. And It wakes people up.
Non stop beats all night gts on my nerves.

Inquisitor
26-08-2004, 07:25 PM
Dark and spooky intros are always welcome. I got no problems with people doing a fresh start if it really is a new "chapter".

Stella Boy
26-08-2004, 07:58 PM
unless you're a big dj making a statement that you've arrived and you're on the decks then no you should not stop the previous persons record. i find it really annoying when unknowns do it. who the **** do they think they are?

You are joking right :eh:

dan the acid man
26-08-2004, 08:10 PM
letting a last record play out, let's the crowd realise when a set has ended, and thus give's them a chance to show their appreciation for the previous set.

anx
26-08-2004, 08:14 PM
it all depends

sometimes i mix in, sometimes i dont

it doesnt really matter

if im playing after a 130bpm house dj, as if im going to mix out!

if im playing after another techno dj, 95% of the time i mix out of their record

if im playing after dnb...no way im mixing out....

if im playing after a breaks dj i usually mix out....its funny alot of people are impressed when you mix techno and breaks together, hahaha

if im playing after someone and they request that the whole record gets played, im usually nice enough to let it end

sometimes i want to play a track with a kick ass intro, so be it, i'll start fresh

its really up to you, i dont think there are any do's or don'ts, just use your perspective

oldbugger
26-08-2004, 08:21 PM
i wouldn't deram of cutting someone last track short. its a certain etiquete (spellling????)

Tiptoe
26-08-2004, 08:25 PM
i wouldn't deram of cutting someone last track short. its a certain etiquete (spellling????)

yeah i have to agree. its courtisy.

basslinejunkie
26-08-2004, 08:27 PM

thats what i was thinking :eh:

oldbugger
26-08-2004, 08:35 PM

i totally agree with matboy here

anx
26-08-2004, 08:46 PM

in certain situations yea

but when im plaing my techno, and the track is just going through the same loop over and over, i usually tell the next dj he can kill it

a simple, "do you want this track to play all the way?" usually solves the problem

dirty_bass
26-08-2004, 08:51 PM
that`s a stupid argument.
So only a big name DJ can do this?
I`d prefer an unknown to do it, cos they need more attention.
Big name DJ`s are pampered and overpaid as it is.

Stella Boy
26-08-2004, 09:21 PM
Totally agree

i totally agree with matboy here

:eh:

The Divide
26-08-2004, 10:56 PM
You need at least 8 years live experience, pass a breathalyzer test and have a clean driver’s license to do this imo

Tiptoe
26-08-2004, 11:12 PM
it depends what the person before has left you with. Some might want their last tune playing out too. All just depends on the circumstances.

basslinejunkie
26-08-2004, 11:18 PM
let his/her last tune play out,give him/her a round of applause,maybe get introduced then start yourself off.absoultely nothin wrong with that.i agree on a spooky intro though,get everybodys attention.

Luke Logan.
26-08-2004, 11:25 PM
I normally start off with a tune with some kind of intro, with crazy nosie's or somebody saying something weird. But yeah I always try to leave on a good bit of the other person's last track. You dont have to be a "Superstar" to start the way you wish, after all its your set. I think its really cool when a DJ use's some maddness to start their set off and then the kick hits you.

Tyrisia
26-08-2004, 11:38 PM
My mate Dave was always one for switchin the turntable off and startin afresh, and I had no problems with that, as the tunes I used to leave him weren't quite his style, even though we usually both played at the same night. I, however, used to pick a tune I knew was gonna fit in with Dave's stuff, and just carried on the mix when playin after him, as I'm a great believer in keepin the flow. The only time I've ever started afresh is when playin after a trance dj, hard fast trance at that, and I wanted to really slow it down, so faded out and stuck a CLR locked groove on.

Nothin wrong with either way, as long as the night goes well, everyone leaves happy etc, I don't necessarily think it's an ego thing at all.

Sunil
26-08-2004, 11:38 PM
You dont have to be a "Superstar" to start the way you wish, after all its your set. I think its really cool when a DJ use's some maddness to start their set off and then the kick hits you.

Definitely.

I guess the original post was also refers to guys who kind of have everything mapped out before they get there, which doesn't take into consideration the vibe of the night or how the crowd has been reacting. Lots of nights come a cropper with people that do this, often DJs work against one another just so they can stand out when the reality is that they could both stand out and add to the flow of music, by doing their homework and trying to tune into and appreciate what the guy was doing before them, and thus taking the night on a smooth ride musically.

Alan Oldham
27-08-2004, 04:27 AM
I usually turn off the power and let the previous DJs track sloooooooow dowwwwwn, then I take over. Depending on if I know/like the previous DJ, I'll let him/her get a round of applause ;) Very rarely would I mix out of somebody else into my set.

A spooky synth intro is so "Liquid Room" isn't it? I do that all the time. Something else that Mills invented.

Rog
27-08-2004, 05:06 PM
yep i like to let the last one roll out, and let the person tak ethe credit they've usually deserved :clap: :clap: :clap:

heavy beats
27-08-2004, 05:17 PM
i usually mix into my set...... but if the track sucks horse shit, then I just cut it off and start with an intro.

mek
27-08-2004, 05:38 PM
If you think you can mix into the dj's last record then you should try... of course this won't be possible with some genre's but if you can keep the flow going you should...

karlo
27-08-2004, 07:46 PM
Always leave to finish a record of dj before..and waiting aplause for him..then im starting my set...i think that you have to leave people to get a breath in the end of the set, you can see their emotions and opinions about it! :cool:

Other, someone written before up there...why some unknow people shut down the turntables, and why dont they mix it to other DJ? if the party is "crap" with a realy small number of people??? :doh:

Read ya!
Carl ;)

karlo
27-08-2004, 07:46 PM
yep i like to let the last one roll out, and let the person tak ethe credit they've usually deserved :clap: :clap: :clap:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

278d7e64a374de26f==