PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Mills @ Jam last night

Fake DJ
28-08-2004, 10:51 AM
****in awesome he was!! proper ripped the place up! got a couple of tune id need doing but only jus got in and going to work now so i'll sort the video clips out in bit

surgeon played a mean ableton live set too!! goo dway to finish of a night!!

was very interesting to hear sims b2b finke D&B set, quality from start to finish, never met sims before and spoke to him, dunno if it was me but he seemed to have a bit of a bad attitude, shame really..... might have been me tho :oops:

top night in all!!! :clap:

aint lkin fwd to a long days wk but hey, hardcore till i die (not literally...)

Traxx
28-08-2004, 02:02 PM
yeah it was a great night all round :clap:

mills set was ace but surgeon ripped it up with one of the hardest sets ive ever heard him play + the venue was probably one of the best venues ive been to :cool:

miss bass
28-08-2004, 04:56 PM
Firsttime id seen Jeff Mills, and he played some cool beats, although have to say did get a little bored and he was a little sloppy (although ppl had told me that) appreciate the whole 3 deck mixing though and dropping in a mix within 10 seconds of doing the other mix lol!

Surgeon was proper banging, and the tune for me was Aphex Twin - Come to daddy, SICK SICK SICK!!!!!!!!! 'i want your soul...........'

They should use that club more, clean toilets, MY GOD, how NICE!!!!!

Nice soundsystem, decor, visuals, tidy and just cool i think. I know techno suits some grime but i have to say i did enjoy not feeling grubby in like 5 mins of being there.
Have to add it was pleasant meeting Chris Finke, very nice geezer.

herman
28-08-2004, 06:56 PM
Have to admit it was worth the journey up just to hear that remix of come to daddy the screaming breakdown just sounded incredible

Fake DJ
28-08-2004, 07:09 PM
tune for me wwas when mills dropped energy flash!!! OH! quality!

yeah venue is awesome!!!

for a dj to use 3 decks and then take 1 tune out and turn around (with 2 tunes still playing over each other) and look through his records for a min or so and the beats stay in u can afford a little sloppiness ;)

finke is a proppa geeza! quality

Sunil
28-08-2004, 07:24 PM
for a dj to use 3 decks and then take 1 tune out and turn around (with 2 tunes still playing over each other) and look through his records for a min or so and the beats stay in u can afford a little sloppiness ;)

Very true, and Mills is a bit more old skool in the way he mixes, you don't see him lashing the FX out of it for instance. He's a bit more freestyle and spontaneous, sometimes it works, other times it doesn't.

Anyway with regard 3 deck techno mixing, it was Mills and Cox that developed it and brought it full circle.. if Mills trainwrecks here and there I don't mind, he's earned that right as far as I'm concerned.

miss bass
28-08-2004, 07:26 PM
exactly thats why i said i appreciate what mills was doing ;)

very inspiriational, slightly off tangent, when i sawInigo Kennedy on three decks , and finding a tune with two tunes going, i have to say made even less errors, hes been the most inspirational to me so far.

But yeh its all good

Sunil
28-08-2004, 07:34 PM

You know your stuff Miss Bass ;)
Mills is the man :clap:
I haven't seen Inigo play yet actually, would really like to.

miss bass
28-08-2004, 07:39 PM

You know your stuff Miss Bass ;)
Mills is the man :clap:
I haven't seen Inigo play yet actually, would really like to.

lol im LEARNING put it that way, anyhow, Inigo Kennedy for me i think has been one of the best djs i have seen, i havnt seen many though lol!!
I think Oliver Ho is also wicked too, just bangs those tunes in , cuts like a demon!
And yes i agree Jeff Mills did show some skills, which i definately should practise!!!!

romelpotter
29-08-2004, 12:41 AM
Jeff Mills was quality, totally intense 3 deck class. last time I herd him play that well was at tribal gathering 97 just after one mr alan oldham had ripped it up as well.

hilight for me was strings of life, at a time when it was all getting a bit oppressive, it was like a breath of fresh air. it was a cheesy remix of "SoL" but it rearly worked with the tracks that he played before and after. :lol: :lol: (on the drive down to b.ham I herd some bozo from radio one play it live in ibiza as the last tune of the summer.....its THAT cheesy) hehehe still i danced like a proper mo fo :twisted: ;) Jeff Mills is still da man..

on a sad point though i was gutted to see the Surgeon playing on his laptop.. i know how a lot of people feel about this so i am going to be carefull how i put it......ITS NOT DJING.... I was a great fan of the surgoen until I acually saw him do this. it may be quality down on the dancefloor but at the and of the day why dont you just sack everything off, get rid off the decks and just put on a tape or cd.... doesn't it add up to the same thing. get your bedroom stereo out and lets have a party.... No lets go and see mills rip it up on 3 decks and 909's.
I know the surgoen like to embrace new technology but this is just my opinion. rant over ...mills rocked :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fake DJ
29-08-2004, 11:03 AM
Jeff Mills was quality, totally intense 3 deck class. last time I herd him play that well was at tribal gathering 97 just after one mr alan oldham had ripped it up as well.

hilight for me was strings of life, at a time when it was all getting a bit oppressive, it was like a breath of fresh air. it was a cheesy remix of "SoL" but it rearly worked with the tracks that he played before and after. :lol: :lol: (on the drive down to b.ham I herd some bozo from radio one play it live in ibiza as the last tune of the summer.....its THAT cheesy) hehehe still i danced like a proper mo fo :twisted: ;) Jeff Mills is still da man..

on a sad point though i was gutted to see the Surgeon playing on his laptop.. i know how a lot of people feel about this so i am going to be carefull how i put it......ITS NOT DJING.... I was a great fan of the surgoen until I acually saw him do this. it may be quality down on the dancefloor but at the and of the day why dont you just sack everything off, get rid off the decks and just put on a tape or cd.... doesn't it add up to the same thing. get your bedroom stereo out and lets have a party.... No lets go and see mills rip it up on 3 decks and 909's.
I know the surgoen like to embrace new technology but this is just my opinion. rant over ...mills rocked :lol: :lol: :lol:

he was doing a ableton live set, i thought it rocked

conflict
29-08-2004, 01:08 PM
that was definately the best jam i've been to,and the first time i heard surgeon,what an experience!Jeff mills was splendid but i thought surgeon was awesome!!!Might book him for our next night

conflict
29-08-2004, 01:22 PM
actually do you think it s possible to download of surgeon's set?Please someone let me know

Fake DJ
29-08-2004, 01:26 PM
very doubtful, i dont think any1 will have recorded there tbh, ive got about 12 seconds of it on my digi cam if thats any help ;) lol

Miromiric
29-08-2004, 02:33 PM

i vote this reply for the dumbass reply of the year.

Francisco Scaramanga
29-08-2004, 04:32 PM
I don't think thats a very dumbass reply at all, it's certainly a fair comment, and as its a matter of opinion saying its dumbass is a bit harsh. I totally enjoyed the set, thought it was proper rippin it up, and I don't really care what its coming off if its that good. But I must say, Surgeon is not exactly the most animated of performers, in fact he hardly moved at all for the full two hours of his set, so I can see how people may feel that he wasn't doing much.

As for Mills, he hardly moved or cracked a smile either (as per usual) but his hands were flying all over the place, with predictable results - absolutely bangin. I've heard him play better, but when he's average, I reckon he's still better than most.

Fake DJ
29-08-2004, 04:40 PM
As for Mills, he hardly moved or cracked a smile either (as per usual) but his hands were flying all over the place, with predictable results - absolutely bangin. I've heard him play better, but when he's average, I reckon he's still better than most.

i have video evidence to prove otherwise ;)

. But I must say, Surgeon is not exactly the most animated of performers, in fact he hardly moved at all for the full two hours of his set, .

he turned round to get a drink of water!!!! lol :lol:

did any1 see his wife and kid sat under a table in the dj booth, his wife reading a paper?!? :eh:

also there is a tune that mills played bout 2/3 of way thru his set, its got a very piano riff and has been used in quite a few other tunes, but cant for the life of me think wat it is? no its not the best of descritpions but thats all i can

i got a vid off it but cant find put it on here anyway, im settin my comp up as a server so might b able to then

Fake DJ
29-08-2004, 04:48 PM
its also on jeff mills live from liquid room bout 41 mins of way thru, but this he played a more recent soundin version :)

Stella Boy
29-08-2004, 05:18 PM
Did any 1 see his wife and kid sat under a table in the dj booth, his wife reading a paper?!? :eh:

She was reading a magazine last night at locked.Must've been a good read because she didn't take her eyes from it for a good hour :lol:

Francisco Scaramanga
29-08-2004, 05:21 PM
with regard to the fake DJ asking about the piano tune - Strings of Life perhaps? I don't remember him playing many other tunes with big piano riffs, and it was a new remix of it that he played at the jam.
I can't remember if its on Liquid Rooms or not though.

romelpotter
29-08-2004, 05:23 PM
i vote this reply for the dumbass reply of the year.

Miromiric i thank you for your vote of dumbass reply of the year, my reply is one i feel strongly about and as i said is only my opinion. so if my opinion to you is dumbass then I can live with that as it is my opinion. If you were to comment and let us know your thinking on the matter, then it might make for a more interesting thread.

Fake DJ
29-08-2004, 05:24 PM
with regard to the fake DJ asking about the piano tune - Strings of Life perhaps? I don't remember him playing many other tunes with big piano riffs, and it was a new remix of it that he played at the jam.

that be the one!

romelpotter
29-08-2004, 05:26 PM

yea it was string of life, and it was on the liquid rooms, but it was a different mix he played at the jam, the bass sounded a lot fatter, it was cool. :cool:

Miromiric
29-08-2004, 05:39 PM
romel, when someone plays on ableton or whatever he is actually doing something and not just standing there. imho it is much more exciting musicalwise then decks. you need to start listening and stop rationalizing.

Fake DJ
29-08-2004, 05:57 PM

yea it was string of life, and it was on the liquid rooms, but it was a different mix he played at the jam, the bass sounded a lot fatter, it was cool. :cool:

yeah and the strings sounded a little cleaner and fresher!! it ****in rocked!! but cudnt beat energy flash....actually it wasnt ebergy flash i dont think but a remix of it using the samples, any1 know wat it is

romelpotter
29-08-2004, 06:00 PM
romel, when someone plays on ableton or whatever he is actually doing something and not just standing there. imho it is much more exciting musicalwise then decks. you need to start listening and stop rationalizing.

playing live or djing on cd decks or records what ever ya cup of tea you are never just standing there, i understand that. I did listen and i said it sounded good, and i am in no doubt that the people who were rocking on the dance floor enjoyed it. maybe your right and i do need to start listening, but i didn't get excited when i saw him plug in his laptop, i didn't get as excited as when i see someone about to go mental behind the decks, thats just me. the musics the same 2 channel stereo feed coming from laptop or decks at the end of the day. imo its a performance that makes the difference.

Miromiric
29-08-2004, 06:26 PM
fair enough.
but performance is g.h.e.y.only what matters is music and nothing else!

oldbugger
29-08-2004, 06:35 PM
the way i see it is whatever comes out of the speakers is what matters. How that sound is produced is totally irrelivant.

Using ableton live or similiar is much more creative than playing someone elses tunes all night.

Alan Oldham
29-08-2004, 07:16 PM
I have to disagree w/ Danny. I saw Surgeon do his Ableton Live show last year at Split and thought it was the most innovative thing I had ever seen.

The way I look at it is Surgeon has proven globally that he can spin and make hot tracks so if he wants to take the next step more power to him.

And he is still ACTUALLY MIXING, he's just not using decks to do it. If the idea is virtual DJing than this is far better than Final Scratch. With FS you still need vinyl and decks

And sorry guys, showmanship counts

Stella Boy
29-08-2004, 07:33 PM
Techno can be so anal sometimes. The amount of discussions and threads about the use of software instead of playing vinyl is getting rather boring. It's a DJ's choice on what he/she wants to use. We are all into this scene for techno music and, yes, it's great when you see a DJ interacting with the crowd in between mixes but surely it's the music that counts. I couldn't give a rats ass if the dj's bouncing like pogo stick all night or stood motionless, it's the end result that counts and you can't fault Surgeon for that.

romelpotter
29-08-2004, 07:33 PM
hmmm ok so maybe using ableton live (certanly in the hands of the surgoen) is innovitve and the embrase of modern technology is good most of the time, and yes no matter how you perform be it djing or live, if the stuff thats coming out of the speaker is dull, lifeless and poor, then the crowd that has paid hard earned cash to see you will be disapointed and rightly so. So i guess both have to be above standard to please the crowd. btw i did think the music the surgoen was playing was absolutly rocking, for me its just the laptop thing, :lol:

killarava2day
30-08-2004, 07:24 AM
What's this ableton program that's being refered to in this discussion? Is this similar to cubase, etc...better than?

romelpotter
30-08-2004, 12:36 PM
check it out at http://www.ableton.com/

tioneb
30-08-2004, 05:47 PM
this jeff mills thread is quite funny =) i think he is th eoposite of surgeon and they both are good djs ... glad to see people likeboth ... for the otehrs, slagging each other, i just think its a bit useless.

Mills visual part is part of his performance, and that makes us forgive his sloppyness.... surgeon moves like if he is playing a CD, and the fact hes using ableton doents help, but hes doing something creative and mixes in a way noboy else does...

i just think we should focus to the final result (visual AND music) and i think these two djs provide us some of the best we can hear these days

about people's behaviour i met both sims & finke for a couple of minutes at the same times. yeah finke si talkative and very nice. yes sims is pretty quiet, but not arrogant ... elts say a party is no tthe best place to meet them, they're pretty busy enough not to be able to spend hours with their fans.. i think meeting in a quiet place or eat with them at a restaurant would make us ave a better idea of who they are.

oldbugger
30-08-2004, 06:22 PM
What's this ableton program that's being refered to in this discussion? Is this similar to cubase, etc...better than?

i have a copy anyone with soulseek can download from me if they like...
coz i certinly cant get my head round the thing. :doh:

cue slagging from the piracy police :dontevengothere: :oops:

eyes without a face
30-08-2004, 06:28 PM
i saw Mills at Creamfields on the saturday and i must say i thought he was really good! a little sloppy at times but for me personally i let this go over my head, the music more than makes up for it as does the atmosphere that Jeff incites in the crowd.

as for Finkey and Sims, agreed, both are down to earth and easy going guys, big up to em!

Frank Dogshit
30-08-2004, 07:42 PM

i have video evidence to prove otherwise ;)

. But I must say, Surgeon is not exactly the most animated of performers, in fact he hardly moved at all for the full two hours of his set, .

also there is a tune that mills played bout 2/3 of way thru his set, its got a very piano riff and has been used in quite a few other tunes, but cant for the life of me think wat it is? no its not the best of descritpions but thats all i can

i got a vid off it but cant find put it on here anyway, im settin my comp up as a server so might b able to then

how can anyone thats interested in techno not know what strings of life is?

hard house alert.

massplanck
30-08-2004, 09:10 PM

hard house alert.

Because they are stupid idiots who obviously should have been born with this information.

oldbugger
30-08-2004, 09:34 PM

isn't t some oldskool bollocks?

hahahaha quality....to be honest i too am amazed at anyone who has a slight intrest in techno doesnt know what strings of life is...

tioneb
30-08-2004, 09:39 PM

hahahaha quality....to be honest i too am amazed at anyone who has a slight intrest in techno doesnt know what strings of life is...

who is derrick may ?

what is a dj ?

do still people listen to vinyl ??? isnt it outdated ???? do people actually issue vinyl ??

oldbugger
30-08-2004, 09:45 PM

who is derrick may ?

what is a dj ?

do still people listen to vinyl ??? isnt it outdated ???? do people actually issue vinyl ??

dunno mate..never heard of derick may...wasnt he off coranation street or something?

can someone ID a tune for me? its really old...about 1990/1991 or something it has a big bad bassline and it says...ecstasy..ecstacy.. :clap: :lol:

Martin Dust
30-08-2004, 10:03 PM
That track is Flash In The Pan by Joey "NRG" Deacon :twisted:

Miromiric
30-08-2004, 10:06 PM
or maybe beltram?

that strings of life is such a cheesy tune.

Frank Dogshit
30-08-2004, 10:08 PM

who is derrick may ?

what is a dj ?

dunno mate..never heard of derick may...wasnt he off coranation street or something?

can someone ID a tune for me? its really old...about 1990/1991 or something it has a big bad bassline and it says...ecstasy..ecstacy.. :clap: :lol:

almost sure its on tidy trax....and its by ermmmm,cant think just now....ermm gurner ketamineman off the gurn board might know.hes the man! ;) :lol:

Sunil
30-08-2004, 10:36 PM
that strings of life is such a cheesy tune.

You said it :clap:

Katie
30-08-2004, 11:09 PM
Really enjoyed the jam on friday highlight was definitley come to daddy! such an awesome tune was well glad to when he played it at locked on saturday too! :lol: :love:

oldbugger
30-08-2004, 11:24 PM
That track is Flash In The Pan by Joey "NRG" Deacon :twisted:

quality :lol:

Frank Dogshit
30-08-2004, 11:29 PM
youve gotta get that 'NRG' in aint ya! :clap:

Stella Boy
30-08-2004, 11:41 PM
Joey Deacon is the man.

Frank Dogshit
30-08-2004, 11:46 PM
John Deacon was pretty decent too. :lol:

Fake DJ
31-08-2004, 10:24 AM
Gimps

yeah so wat i havent been into techno all my life, i ask a question about a tune ive heard loads but have never known the name of and i get gimps like u givin me shit for it

bothered

Francisco Scaramanga
31-08-2004, 11:45 AM
All you lot ripping it out of someone just cause he couldent remember the name to strings of life are a bit harsh! Are you going to tell me that you have always known what Strings of Life was, from the moment you popped out of the womb? I think its more likely that at some point, you asked someone, and if all your mates ripped it out of you when you asked them what tune that is, you'd probably be gutted - so maybe try to appreciate that not everyone is as uberknowledgeable as yourselves...

As for the cheesyness of it, well, yeah, I suppose it is pretty cheesy, but I am surprisingly into this new remix that was played at the jam. I had gotten pretty bored of hearing the original, but this remix has really freshened it up I reckon. So while its still cheesy, I'll probably enjoy it the next couple of times I hear it. I am worried though that it'll get caned and I'll want to rip my hair out the 150th time I hear it.

dan the acid man
31-08-2004, 12:20 PM
All you lot ripping it out of someone just cause he couldent remember the name to strings of life are a bit harsh! Are you going to tell me that you have always known what Strings of Life was, from the moment you popped out of the womb? I think its more likely that at some point, you asked someone, and if all your mates ripped it out of you when you asked them what tune that is, you'd probably be gutted - so maybe try to appreciate that not everyone is as uberknowledgeable as yourselves...

exactly, well said, we all have to learn sometime.

serox
31-08-2004, 12:30 PM

lol.

for me DJing will always be about 12" plastic. i dont enjoy watching people playing with their laptops.

did anyone catch him playing chess ?:)

subsonic
31-08-2004, 12:35 PM
i well enjoyed the night the venue looked spot on as the sound system was too jeff was good but didnt blow me away the surguan was boring to watch but the soundz was bangin but the fact he had a pre loaded set was pritty disapointing for me it was intresting seeing chris finke do the dnb thing some wicked tunes dropped by mr finke it was also good to meet
paul mac nice bloke

ampassasinbirmingham
31-08-2004, 06:41 PM
top night indeed. Surgeon canned ass. Dark, precussive, abstract eclecticness at its best. Thank you for finally putting 313 back on the comp. His wife was so funny i had to take a picture of her doing the crossword in the daily telegraph.

Really enjoyed the mills set. Really enjoyed the first half of his set. A real axisy set. Got a little to millsesque with a few sloppy moments, but thats just the Mills./

Great set by finke in both rooms.

Air is the best club in Bham.

Big up to everyone i met at AJ. really nice to see so many of you.

***To the person talking about Mr SIms having an attitude problem- He really doesnt have an attitude problem, he's a really nice guy. Talk to him for a little longer and say something other than "Sims u cane it" and you might get a better reply.

Pics and hopefully a video from the night will be up soon.

Fordy
31-08-2004, 07:10 PM
Amazing night, all djs were quality. Mills rocked it the most though, loved his set, the guy is the don. Surgeon was just pure titanium, rip you to shreds style techno :twisted:

Was good to have the jam at air, they have a wicked soundsystem, especially compared to the sanctuary.

Shame it wasn't as busy as expected, but the main room was pretty full all night.

Roll on the next one.

Miromiric
31-08-2004, 08:01 PM

lol.

for me DJing will always be about 12" plastic. i dont enjoy watching people playing with their laptops.

did anyone catch him playing chess ?:)

and you obviously dont enjoy much music, do you? :lol:

zan
31-08-2004, 09:05 PM
fair enough.

TRUE. Some ppl need to start listening and stop gazing. Its what comes out the speakers that counts. Most techno artists dont care about image, so being animated is irrelevant, Surgeon has seen it, been it, is it and bought the t-shirt, laptops are going to be more prevalant in clubs as a standard format, so chill on the laptop versus vinyl tip its nothing but sad trainspotter behaviour, look behind you and see everyone else enjoying themselves, thats what its about, its not a catwalk fashion show, its music. LISTEN. ;)

oldbugger
31-08-2004, 09:18 PM
fair enough.

TRUE. Some ppl need to start listening and stop gazing. Its what comes out the speakers that counts. Most techno artists dont care about image, so being animated is irrelevant, Surgeon has seen it, been it, is it and bought the t-shirt, laptops are going to be more prevalant in clubs as a standard format, so chill on the laptop versus vinyl tip its nothing but sad trainspotter behaviour, look behind you and see everyone else enjoying themselves, thats what its about, its not a catwalk fashion show, its music. LISTEN. ;)

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

nuff said really...cant add anything to that....spot on..

Alan Oldham
31-08-2004, 10:47 PM
I think it is about stage presence as well as content, though, even for DJs. I mean people automatically look to the direction the sound is coming from, yeah? It's human nature. That's like going to check out a rock band, paying your $ but never looking at them. At that point you might as well put in a mix CD or do an ISDN concert like FSOL used to do, or put Mills on the flyer and play a copy of "The Exhibitionist"

Just my .02

Oh, Ben Sims is a top bloke, very down-to-earth and I'd have Finke over here in a heartbeat if the US scene wasn't so shitty

ampassasinbirmingham
31-08-2004, 11:51 PM
Oh, Ben Sims is a top bloke, very down-to-earth and I'd have Finke over here in a heartbeat if the US scene wasn't so shitty

hear you on that one. chris is the nicest guy in techno!!!!!

Tony
01-09-2004, 12:03 AM
that was definately the best jam i've been to,and the first time i heard surgeon,what an experience!Jeff mills was splendid but i thought surgeon was awesome!!!Might book him for our next night

sorry, you're based in the midlands?????? where is your night????? you dont htink atomic jam had enough trouble and political backlash for booking him??? i can tspeak for tony, but that statement seems a bit naive. maybe you're good mates with him. but i've seen the politics THIS gig caused. i doubt he'd do anything smaller.

Tony
01-09-2004, 12:13 AM
whats this about surgeons wife AND KID???? dont think so. and can you imagine doing your normal job, the one you love, but under the duress of 'paly at this time for this amount of time. dont make any mistakes, dont fuk up, dont move from that spot until the time is up!!', that would make me stand there a bit flat and concentrate as well. and we cant cuss him for that. i'd rather that than horsey gallop beats!!!!!

Traxx
01-09-2004, 12:13 AM

sorry, you're based in the midlands?????? where is your night????? you dont htink atomic jam had enough trouble and political backlash for booking him??? i can tspeak for tony, but that statement seems a bit naive. maybe you're good mates with him. but i've seen the politics THIS gig caused. i doubt he'd do anything smaller.

is this a Birmingham thing or are you talkin about small nights in general?

neko
01-09-2004, 12:32 AM
:shock: :eh:

Tony
01-09-2004, 01:15 AM

sorry, conflicts whereabouts are listed as 'midlands'. danny from atomic faced 'some' grief when booking tony to do atomic, the hog guys fed back to me about their, not disapproval, but certainly some amount of queationing, but hey, he played next to mills in his home town. allls i'm saying is, if jam had trouble getting him for mills, and hog is barely running anymore......... who knows, maybe its a peice of piss to book him for an even smaller night. but right now, to me, it would be advisable to suggest to conflict to maybe expect to be turned down. just an informed opinion, which i certainly dont mind if its proved wrong.

tioneb
01-09-2004, 08:41 AM
Tony you are even bigger gossiper than me hehehe =)) Actually who do really care bout these fights ?We all know such thing shappens in every city. And beleive me, just go to southern Europe and youll see what is real gfights between clubowners / promoters (ex : a club near my home burning beacause of a storm on a day it didnt rain...).

Otherwise, Surgeon's wife hasnt stoped dancing all the nite when ive seen him at Rex in july 2003.

davethedrummer
01-09-2004, 09:29 AM

sorry, conflicts whereabouts are listed as 'midlands'. danny from atomic faced 'some' grief when booking tony to do atomic, the hog guys fed back to me about their, not disapproval, but certainly some amount of queationing, but hey, he played next to mills in his home town. allls i'm saying is, if jam had trouble getting him for mills, and hog is barely running anymore......... who knows, maybe its a peice of piss to book him for an even smaller night. but right now, to me, it would be advisable to suggest to conflict to maybe expect to be turned down. just an informed opinion, which i certainly dont mind if its proved wrong.

i think this kind of thing should stay off the net .
it's gossip and it'll do no one any good.
none of the people involved are here to state their case, and from my own experience promoter wars are best left with the promoters to deal with , mainly because they have so many causes that it's very hard to really take sides or to fully understand what's happening.
us talking about it will just inflame it.
just trying to nip it in the bud

MARKEG
01-09-2004, 09:47 AM
this is definitely not what we need on here.

tony less of this please cause like henry said, no-one is here to defend themselves.

eyes without a face
01-09-2004, 12:13 PM
id agree, i know (as do most peeps these days) about the conflicts the bookin may have caused, but i dont think there's a need to explore the depths of teh problem on an internet message board.

dont take it personally Tony, but as far as im aware you dont look after Surgeon's bookings, so to give such a strong opinion as to which gigs he would or would not take is a little out of order! ultimately its up to Surgeon himself and whoever it was who said they may book him, well good luck dude, hope it pans out for you!

Politics in the scene like this does enough damage behind closed doors, lets not bring it into the public sector too!

;)

peaccceeee

The Overfiend
01-09-2004, 01:22 PM
fair enough.

:clap:

massplanck
01-09-2004, 02:15 PM
Surgeons' wife was only doing a crossword because she was bored with his abelton set. He personally told me that he'll be bringing an albino python onstage with him next time and will also get his wife to tongue madonna behind the decks if it will help make people dance\like him more.

Mark. The Blackout Audio logo is starting to look more and more like a tabloid rag heading....

ampassasinbirmingham
01-09-2004, 02:36 PM
Surgeons' wife was only doing a crossword because she was bored with his abelton set. He personally told me that he'll be bringing an albino python onstage with him next time and will also get his wife to tongue madonna behind the decks if it will help make people dance\like him more.

Mark. The Blackout Audio logo is starting to look more and more like a tabloid rag heading....

Change it to version 2 in your profile. much better.

On topic- tony was only stating what is well known in Birmingham?

massplanck
01-09-2004, 02:53 PM
Change it to version 2 in your profile. much better.

On topic- tony was only stating what is well known in Birmingham?

1.Thanks, it's way better with the bloodstains.

2.I dont feel comfortable reading about such stuff because I know I i'd feel very uncomfortable reading it about myself. Maybe its a brummie thing? Pictures of Bono's dirty washing to be posted up soon.

I dont really care I was just trying to be fun-e.

Luke Logan.
01-09-2004, 03:03 PM
Maybe there should be another forum in here, the gossip corner sounds good to me! My aul one will probably join up though... and all her mates. ;)

massplanck
01-09-2004, 03:08 PM
Maybe there should be another forum in here, the gossip corner sounds good to me! My aul one will probably join up though... and all her mates. ;)

You'll have to wait till I'm finished with her first though. She'll be telling everyone about the size of my mickey.

Luke Logan.
01-09-2004, 03:11 PM
Hey keep that for the gossip corner... yeah she was saying its only a wee one. Mass"wee"planck. :lol:

subsonic
01-09-2004, 03:37 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tony
01-09-2004, 07:32 PM
there was nothing in what i said that people dont already know, or suspect. the only way i know of it further is by talking to the promoters of both clubs. there is no WAR, there was no GOSSIP. they are 2 techno clubs in one city, both with very different styles anyway. there are merely some underlying facts to do with the musical history of birmingham. my point was that if the guy who i first quoted was to try and book him for another night then he might get turned down.
there is no need for anyone to have to defend themselves at all anyway as no one has been put into question at all.
as ampassasin is the only person to have seen that what i said was in no way to shit stir, even he would agree with my angle of: so, would someone trying to book surgeon for a small night in brum have much luck?? my guess would be no, but as i said i dont REALLY know.

but to call it gossip is to call the reveiw of a record gossip. i just pointed out what i knew, but as for whether surgeon would accept the booking is entirely up to him, but if he umms and aaahs to the jam, and is still inclined to show allegiances to HOG, then a smaller night may get turned down, at a guess.

Remade
01-09-2004, 08:48 PM

:lol:

romelpotter
01-09-2004, 09:59 PM
fair enough.

nothing but sad trainspotting behaviour !!!! RIGHT picture this, in your eyes the worlds top dj's and every single aspiring dj turn up to play gigs with their laptop. To which they play music they have downloaded off the net as mp3/maybe their own stuff. IF this is the case for every dj as you say, and no one buys records then tell me,,, how do the artists that make tracks, music and all the stuff you want to download get paid ???? how do they continue to make music ??? do not tell me that people will buy the files from dedicated download sites coz we all know that wont happen.
Whats going to happen if nobody gets paid,,, you tell me mate. ALSO
It doesnt matter if you gaze, listen or ****ing suck your thumb and shove it up your ass, the most important thing is that you ENJOY whatever it is you have gone into the club to do. so if you enjoy gazing then gaze..etc.

Miromiric
01-09-2004, 11:12 PM
i ll tell you what happens if nobody gets paid.

only those who make music out of pure reasons stay in it and continue to make music.

dirty_bass
01-09-2004, 11:32 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i ll tell you what happens if nobody gets paid.

only those who make music out of pure reasons stay in it and continue to make music

How will these musicians survive and pay the rent?
By spending there lives working in a shitty job, that takes their focus away form their art?
To exell at an art you need to be able to devote all your time to it.
Not use it as a weekend hobby, and break from your suck-ass job.
Part time isn`t good enough.

zan
01-09-2004, 11:50 PM
fair enough.

nothing but sad trainspotting behaviour !!!! RIGHT picture this, in your eyes the worlds top dj's and every single aspiring dj turn up to play gigs with their laptop. To which they play music they have downloaded off the net as mp3/maybe their own stuff. IF this is the case for every dj as you say, and no one buys records then tell me,,, how do the artists that make tracks, music and all the stuff you want to download get paid ???? how do they continue to make music ??? do not tell me that people will buy the files from dedicated download sites coz we all know that wont happen.
Whats going to happen if nobody gets paid,,, you tell me mate. ALSO
It doesnt matter if you gaze, listen or ****ing suck your thumb and shove it up your ass, the most important thing is that you ENJOY whatever it is you have gone into the club to do. so if you enjoy gazing then gaze..etc.

Well, have I hit a raw nerve ? Are you admitting your'e a sad trainspotter that doesnt enjoy the music, because it doesnt to fit your concept of what a DJ has do, ie play only vinyl, how extremely narrow minded. Most labels nowadays are contemplating the inevitable death of vinyl, why do you think that there are so many digital distribution sites about, the market is mutating and changing, vinyl sales are down, EVERYONE is feeling the pinch, even those artists who have made a nice living out of there sales are feeling it, speak to any distributor / label and you willl hear the same story.The future will be digital distribution from label sites, so labels will make money this way and not through the vinyl distributors, believe you me, no one wants this, but thats life. Your ignorance or lack of foresight will leave you back in 2004. I love vinyl, but I accept that if not in 5 to 10 to 20 years, it will not be the standard format you will have so much faith in. Your purist stance on laptops is a joke. And if gazing is all you can do when you go to club, go for it. Each to there own. Just wake up as your business sense and knowledge of this industry is immature, if not jejune.

Miromiric
01-09-2004, 11:52 PM
i agree, it must not be a part time. but go back and look at my answer to his hypothesis.

zan
01-09-2004, 11:57 PM
And by the way, most of the artists I know who produce music have a job to pay the bills. If it was ever about making money from label sales to pay the bills, it definitely not now. Label sales pay for the next release and act as a promotional tool.

Sunil
02-09-2004, 12:08 AM
What's going on ?
This was a thread about Jeff Mills playing at Atomic Jam, now it's about vinyl facing the crunch and music paying the bills? :lol:

Miromiric
02-09-2004, 12:12 AM
surely and swiftly we changed the flow of the conversation, just like the sunset breeze pushes the leaf away.

dirty_bass
02-09-2004, 12:23 AM
yeah, well, you can only talk about jeff mills for so long, and so many times, before your anus decides to take over and start flapping. and we all end up talking arse.
But my point is.
Yes, taking money out will get rid of a lot of tossers from the techno scene.
But it will also force a lot of people out of the game.
there is nothing wrong with getting paid for your talent.

Sunil
02-09-2004, 12:29 AM
I know threads go on a tangent but I reckon if we see one going in a completely different direction you should start a new topic, like I did with that 4 deck mixing one earlier :clap:
Unless you're involved with the thread from Day 1 it can be very annoying joining it only to find people are talking about something entirely diffrent to the subject at hand. I'm just being thoughtful here btw. Don't hate me for it!

ampassasinbirmingham
02-09-2004, 12:36 AM
I know threads go on a tangent but I reckon if we see one going in a completely different direction you should start a new topic, like I did with that 4 deck mixing one earlier :clap:
Unless you're involved with the thread from Day 1 it can be very annoying joining it only to find people are talking about something entirely diffrent to the subject at hand. I'm just being thoughtful here btw. Don't hate me for it!

i hate you for it because you smell of baby apple food

Miromiric
02-09-2004, 12:36 AM
thats what we have moderators for and split topic option ;=)

dirty_bass
02-09-2004, 12:50 AM
baaaah humbug

Fake DJ
02-09-2004, 12:56 AM
all i sed was jeff mills was awesome, surgeon played a mean abelton set and i wasnt looking forward to work

which in actual fact was the best day at work i ever had, jus carried the sesh on!!!! hahaha

sold creamfields tickets that we got free so bought some champagne and the only other thng to go with it ;) ;)

and the rest they say is history!!! :lol:

any1 know next jam lineup?? :doh:

romelpotter
02-09-2004, 07:13 PM
right zan i have said all i have to say on the matter, If you want to continue this discussion then send me a pm, otherwise i am off to find a mac and a jotter

The Overfiend
03-09-2004, 12:47 AM
How about some f*cking respect for one another? :evil:

278d7e64a374de26f==