PDA

View Full Version : When does a techno record become a classic and why?

serox
02-09-2004, 09:53 AM
When does a techno record become a classic and why? Can any record be called a classic after a certain date of release?

zigojacko
02-09-2004, 02:52 PM
just generally after its status has reached a popularity level where it is played all over and regularly and included in classics sets at rememberable events/venues/periods.

one of the main attributes that contribute towars this is whether or not the big names rate it and play it e.t.c

tioneb
02-09-2004, 04:45 PM
to me its a classic when u feel its over-played out. this cannot be necessary a qulity tune, but each time its played people say "oh its that one!"

ex : renato cohen - pontape that bacame a classic a short time after it has been issued.

for the old schoolers, a classic is a tune sounding "old" that can still be played out some years afetrhaving been issued. it actually doesnt need all these year to feel some tracks are timeless, so here again, the old schoolers can call classics some recent tracks

ex : rolando - knights of the jaguar

thetonewrecka
02-09-2004, 06:01 PM
Those songs that you "have to hear" before you can fall asleep again at night, or in the morning.

I guess that would make my alarmclock a classic tune!

anx
02-09-2004, 06:50 PM
classics are overplayed tunes that are very old that still maintain their novelty

webassassin
02-09-2004, 07:00 PM
First, it becomes a 'hit', then it becomes a 'classic'.

davethedrummer
02-09-2004, 09:50 PM
usually a classic transends genres too
ie
the bells , jaguar , spastik etc etc

MangaFish
02-09-2004, 11:17 PM
personally i think a classic is a tune which everytime you put it down or tire of hearing, you feel compelled to pick it up again and play it.

some tunes just refuse to die.

serox
03-09-2004, 09:48 AM
so for a record to become a classic a popular dj needs to play it out?
there must be some 'classic' records that are not popular or heard that often to others still.

could som1 tell you a record that is >10 years old a classic, even if you have not heard it b4?

must be more that just personal opinion for a record to be called a classic record

Rog
05-09-2004, 02:50 AM
:doh: could som1 tell you a record that is >10 years old a classic, even if you have not heard it b4? :doh:

prob not - unless they can pic winning lotto numbers!

i say a classic is a chewn that you love - and if it got destroyed you'd hunt another copy down - and most classics are hard to find (cause there classic)

for instance the smitten remix 1 of mad cows on acid - rozzers dog remix - is a pure acid classic - and anybody who owned it and damaged it... would cry themselves to sleep :cry: :cry: :cry:

278d7e64a374de26f==