PDA

View Full Version : Punishing, Hammer to Face Techno

dirty_bass
02-09-2004, 06:04 PM
Here is a track that little fella! and I have been working on, on-and-off for ages. Here is the (possibly) finished result from today`s studio sesh (a surprisingly sober one)
Hard, percussive, dancefloor techno. There is a lot going on here and it was a challenge to stop it from sounding cluttered.
If anyone has any last minute tips, or suggestions to improve the mix.
Please let us know.

http://mysite.freeserve.com/dirty_bass_records/tunes/Dawn_of_the_Dead.mp3

j_s
02-09-2004, 07:50 PM
Sounds great. Evil as well as pounding, a combination I would really like to see more of. Can't think of any suggestions for improvements really, the only thing I would change would be to take out the 'yeah' from the vocal sample in the break, but that seems like nitpicking somewhat....
Respect due.

dan the acid man
02-09-2004, 09:23 PM
this is very good, i cant really think of anything i would change myself, there is a synth slightly panned to the right though that sounds a little annoying on headphones, it slightly takes your attention away from the track, but on a rig it will sound ok. which at the end of the day is where it's made for.
yeah, i like this alot, dark and evil sounding, with huge dancefloor appeal

jaqbip
02-09-2004, 10:39 PM
Really ****ing good track!
EXCELLENT! :-D

nervous systems
04-09-2004, 09:45 PM
nice track

i would change the breakdown ,make it slighty more percussive in parts so it still keeps the groove.

also i would make some of the fx that cut in a bit longer.

maybe stick a small part of the breakdown for an intro

Evil G
05-09-2004, 10:42 PM
i've heard that NIN sample all over the place lately and i'm a little tired of it, but other than that, this is killer. :clap:

dirty_bass
06-09-2004, 02:26 AM
the sample is of Bob Flanagan the supermasochist, getting tortured.
Where else have you heard this sample out of interest?

Evil G
06-09-2004, 02:34 AM
ok. it sounds a lot like something that The Divide has in his live pa set.

dirty_bass
06-09-2004, 02:41 AM
well, NIN did sample the flanagan torture. Flanagan actually did a performance for the video of happiness in slaverly, that got banned.
He also did a scarey performance for Godflesh on their video for Crush My Soul.
Where else have you heard this sample. If it really is being used a lot, I`ll get rid of it and I`ll use the stuff from flanagans Life of a Supermasochist .

Evil G
06-09-2004, 03:02 AM
i've seen that video, but i didn't know the name of the guy who did it. it's "moving" to say the least. la yikes.

i'm not aware of any vinyl out that uses the sample at the mo, but it sounds a lot like it about 5 mins into The Divide's "The Summer of Corruption" live pa set. i might have heard it elsewhere too, but can't remember where off the top of my head.

while all you in the uk and europe are sleeping, we in north and south america get to ponder...

i was thinking that because i was "around" when that NIN track was new, it made a strong impression on me, and the sample is instantly recognizable to me, but i really have no idea how the kids would react to it today. maybe i'm just a tired old grump, and the kids do need to hear it. maybe ask some younger people what they think of it?

detfella
06-09-2004, 07:56 PM
great track...i'm liking the reversed/effected words and the relentless beat. It might just be speakers (only dodgy hifi) but i'd like to hear with a phatter/deeper kick. This is not an issue tho, cos its a damn fine track. It's the sort of techno i'd buy! :clap:

dan the acid man
06-09-2004, 08:22 PM
im not really that young, but i know alot of people will not have heard that sample too much, and certainly probably never heard it in a dance record, i have'nt heard it before anywhere, and i listened to alot of NIN

dirty_bass
06-09-2004, 08:46 PM
nah **** it, it`s staying in.
It`s not exactly a cained sample is it.

Evil G
06-09-2004, 09:01 PM
nice one. ;)

don't mind me, i'm suffering weed withdrawal. :)

fatcollective
07-09-2004, 12:16 AM
simple arrangments but very effective, this is the sort of tunage i hear a lot of in the free parties up here in north wales...lots of scary atmosphere goin on...good stuff man! R u gonna release it?

fatcollective
07-09-2004, 12:17 AM
simple arrangments but very effective, this is the sort of tunage i hear a lot of in the free parties up here in north wales...lots of scary atmosphere goin on...good stuff man! R u gonna release it?

dirty_bass
07-09-2004, 12:29 AM
who knows, these collaborations are more of a production lesson for Little Fella! but they may crop up in the live PA

fatcollective
07-09-2004, 12:41 AM
yeah i heard about the live set from your site...hows it all goin man...wat sort of stuff do u use for the live set...abbleton live...or just pure hardware? either way i will try and coincide my next journey to london on a night your playing at. keep me informed dude ;)

StoQ
07-09-2004, 08:07 PM
i like your track a lot. personally i would change nothing. good work :clap: :clap:

278d7e64a374de26f==