:shock: :eh: :shock:

http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20040902_135943.html

Took em long enough :lol:

MARKEG
03-09-2004, 08:48 PM
my god i want one!!!

Kevin Gorman
04-09-2004, 06:11 AM
this is awsome!! I have a Nvidia card. When this comes out im definitly going to give this a try.

j_s
04-09-2004, 01:50 PM
Ineteresting. This could be ****ing useful - I'm always running out of CPU....

DJZeMigL
04-09-2004, 02:25 PM
I had a very fast / diagonal read and from what I understood this will only work for the plugs that team develop!? :(

Z

Patrick DSP
04-09-2004, 06:36 PM
I had a very fast / diagonal read and from what I understood this will only work for the plugs that team develop!? :(

Z

unless some wise ass computer programer rips their code and mades a plugin adaptor with it. just like the vst to directx/audio unit adaptors out there. so there's still some hope.

DJZeMigL
04-09-2004, 07:59 PM
Wise as* 2 ~the front desk pleaseee! ;)

:)

Z

MangaFish
07-09-2004, 09:09 PM

Z

unless some wise ass computer programer rips their code and mades a plugin adaptor with it. just like the vst to directx/audio unit adaptors out there. so there's still some hope.

i'm not sure its that simple though as the impression i get is each plugin needs a specific way to send / recieve and convert the audio / graffical data :neutral:

xfive
07-09-2004, 11:42 PM
Yeah I think its not going to work with just a conversion layer due to the types of effects that you can have in audio vs video. Since from reading I gathered that they are using the shader programming stuff... it won't be easy to translate whatever random code is written in a vst to be able to yield the same results on those shaders... but who knows.. if they abstract the wrapper enough it could work. I'd have to check out some APIs and such before coming to a good conclusion... but hey that's their proprietary code now :/

Maybe there will be an open standard for this sort of thing in the near future.

Evil G
08-09-2004, 12:52 AM
interesting, but unless they can create an abstraction layer they will have a tough time competing against things like the powercore or plugzilla.

j_s
08-09-2004, 01:44 AM
abstraction layer .

What's that & why is it necessary?

TechMouse
08-09-2004, 03:28 PM
abstraction layer .

If someone can put together an API for it - i.e. a set of commands which can use the graphics card to do a comprehensive set of basic audio functions - then any old bod can write plug-ins to take advantage of it.

Sounds like an interesting project for a Computer Science student if ever I heard one.

xfive
08-09-2004, 04:45 PM
interesting, but unless they can create an abstraction layer they will have a tough time competing against things like the powercore or plugzilla.

I dunno I think this would be a little more easy to sell considering you gotta have a gfx card to have a computer, and very capable nvidia cards are ridiculously cheap compared to a powercore system.

Just my $0.02 ;)

Evil G
08-09-2004, 05:37 PM
abstraction layer .

computer geek talk...

the dsp chip on the graphics card will know how to do some very specific functions, like transforming 2 and 3 dimentional matricis, and other hard and weird math. every chip has different instructions, even for doing similar things. so a program that uses it would have to know all the nasty details.

for a music program had to know how to use the dsps, it would mean a lot of programming work, and for every new chip, the program would have to be rewritten.

so, the best approach would be to create a software layer between the dsp and the music program. then the music program can have a function that says "apply reverb", which is passed to the abstraction layer, which then tells the dsp to do a bunch of crazy math, and passes the answer back. if a new dsp chip was developed, the abstraction layer would need to be rewritten, but the music software would stay the same.

j_s
08-09-2004, 06:14 PM
Ah I see. Hopefully the developers will take this into account before a proper release is made - this sounds like some really promising technology...

278d7e64a374de26f==