PDA

View Full Version : Gazumped again!

John Ferraris
05-09-2004, 05:29 PM
This topic isn't strictly for this forum, but theres been a couple of times where I've found some real studio gear bargains on ebay only to be gazumped literally in the last seconds by £5. My mate reckons there's a piece of software which you can download and in the last few seconds of bidding it enters a bid higher than the highest bidder. Anyone know of this?

herman
05-09-2004, 06:06 PM
think its called esniper or something like that

John Ferraris
05-09-2004, 06:47 PM
Nice one. Looking at the esniper site I found a link to bidtamer http://www.bidtamer.com/ which does a similar thing specifically for ebay if anyone's interested

dan the acid man
06-09-2004, 12:03 AM
sneaky buggers, i should have known there was some software for this :doh:

cheers for the link

detfella
06-09-2004, 01:06 AM
lol, good work fellas!

yeswehavetheright
06-09-2004, 12:53 PM
Spot on that, cheers!

magnetize
06-09-2004, 02:42 PM
Why not just enter the max amount that you're willing to pay for the item, same difference afaics ?

John Ferraris
06-09-2004, 04:38 PM
Why not just enter the max amount that you're willing to pay for the item, same difference afaics ?

I 'spose, but say there's only a couple of bidders, if u leave it to the last few seconds u avoid a bidding war pushing the price up. If u bid early with a higher maximum bid, then the other bidders will see this and change their maximum bid accordingly, forcing u to do the same until someone drops out. If, say, someone is winning Nova with a maximum bid of £170, then 10 secs before the bidding ends u can slip in a bid of £172, and the other bidder won't have time to change their maximum bid. Neaky, yes, but I missed out on some bargains by this :doh:

magnetize
06-09-2004, 08:07 PM

I 'spose, but say there's only a couple of bidders, if u leave it to the last few seconds u avoid a bidding war pushing the price up. If u bid early with a higher maximum bid, then the other bidders will see this and change their maximum bid accordingly, forcing u to do the same until someone drops out. If, say, someone is winning Nova with a maximum bid of £170, then 10 secs before the bidding ends u can slip in a bid of £172, and the other bidder won't have time to change their maximum bid. Neaky, yes, but I missed out on some bargains by this :doh:

I realise all this but if everyone starts using sniping s/w then it'll end up being the same thing. Decide on a max you're willing to pay for something & just stick to that.
Certain audio gear goes for way too much on e-bay anyway - MPC's, Nords, etc.. Personal ads turn up better bargains for a lot of stuff in my experience.

auditory hallucinations
07-09-2004, 09:19 AM
I just got a tr909 offa e-bay for £600 :lol:

Sorry I know I'm not contributing much, I'm just really pleased :lol:

278d7e64a374de26f==