PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Tweak Question

tekboi
01-04-2003, 08:56 AM
Hey everyone,

Just very curious on the the tweaking of "Windows XP for Audio Production". When you do tweak XP for audio production does this effect or limit other things you can do on the computer such as internet capabilities, microsoft office products etc. I mean I have just recently bought a new PC that I would like to use only for audio production, but this is an option for me as soon as I finish school this year. And as I would like to record tracks on my PC I also need to have the capability of going online and using office for some hopmework etc. So I was just simply curiously on if tweaking XP for that purpose, does it limit or effect other things on the PC?

Thanks :) Only just heard about the XP tweaking, so please dont mind me asking this question even if it sounds silly hehe :wink:

miromiric.
01-04-2003, 10:44 AM
http://www.tweakxp.com/tweakxp/

main thing is to disable every little thing that supports better graphics cause audio and video use same memory. i heard that in longhorn windows resources for audio and video are separated.

MARKEG
01-04-2003, 12:08 PM
yes, some things on these list do affect internet capabilities, but it's pretty obvious which one's do this. in fact i think the link that miro has given you actually goes through exactly what each tweak does. so as long as you understand what you're turning on/off - you should have no probs!

tekboi
01-04-2003, 05:08 PM
Thanks guys, that should help, if anyone else has more opinions please post them!

And ye by the way techno OWNS! :) Don't ask me why I said that!

DJZeMig_L
01-04-2003, 08:14 PM
Brava the main point of doing these tweeks is solely Music work... from my experience (but mostly talks with computer geeks... do they really talk!? lol .. 2 me it always sound like they're speaking underwater lol :P).. best way is to have at least 2 partitions, each with a Win in it.... one for general rubish... and a separate one (partition and Win Xp) for Music... (with the tweeks)... lot better perf/ stability!

Z

Jimfish
02-04-2003, 01:30 AM
Haha...that you ace? I told you the folks on this site would be very hepfull... lovely isnt it!

tekboi
02-04-2003, 01:50 AM
DJ Ze MigL:

I understand where your coming from with the partition factor. I will give a few examples and if you could elaborate on them that would be great.

I have 2 HDD = one 40GB & one 80GB

1> I have been told that using two seperate harddrives is a good option. Using one HDD for everything such as microsoft office, software programs, internet all of that with Windows XP and use the other HDD as a spare drive to store all my audio samples and synths etc).

2> What you were saying was that for example I use my 80GB HDDas the main drive for audio production (installing Windows XP and tweaking it), and use my 40GB HDD for other use such as studies, internet etc (installing Windows 98 or something like that)
Is this what you were saying?

So the 2nd option would be the better way to go right?

Thanks again champ for the help!

tekboi
02-04-2003, 01:55 AM
Hey Jim,

HAHA Thanks alot champ, very helpful indeed. I think we talked about this issue with yourself a few weeks back, so if you comment again on some of this would be helpful, coz you do know your stuff.

By the way my order just came in of the new Midi Sync = EXCELLENT!!!

Make sure you keep me updated with your near future releases!

Hope your well Jim and we'll talk soon.

DJZeMig_L
02-04-2003, 12:28 PM
Hey,

Like I sayI'm no computer buff, but I think I prefer 2 keep 2 drive 4 backups and another with 2 partitions and an xp in each 1!!

Why?... What happens if u burn your music HD!?!!? knock on wood like mad! :cry:

Still what would give ya better perf. ??? probably related 2 issues of having the studio particion on the MASTER BUS HD... I know there is a computer wiz (at least 1 :) ) in this forum... so I guess I'll let him rule on this... I must bow 2 the wiser!! :wink:

Z

tekboi
02-04-2003, 04:20 PM
Thanks again, great help!

Who is the computer whiz though? hehe Are you there computer whiz can you please help me on this one?

Whats the nickname if anything hehe

tekboi
03-04-2003, 08:50 AM
Still in two minds? Any other feedback on this issue or not really?

DJ Ze MigL has given some quality suggestions, just need a little more to make my decision which will be very soon, thanks again guys.

DJZeMig_L
04-04-2003, 02:33 PM
I think Sinner and maybe Basil Rush r the 2 bigest tech heads in here so...

Z

Basil Rush
05-04-2003, 11:16 AM
tech head ... ? fuzzy head this morning. think the black and white and smelly has got me ...

278d7e64a374de26f==