PDA

View Full Version : Sven Vath

Frank Dogshit
09-09-2004, 08:47 PM
Just wondering what everyone thinks of this guy?

I know its quite common for people to slag the guy off and some may suggest hes a bit of a cheese maestro. Ive seen him a few times and on at least 2 of the occasions hes been pretty poor to say the least. :nono:

Some sets ive heard of him though hes played some sublime electro sets with no crap records thrown in and some of the early cocoon sound of the season mixes are great.

I have total respect for him as everytime ive been to see him hes always really entertaining and has the crowd in the palm of his hands from the off.

Im undecided. Hes nowhere near one of my favourite djs but he sure knows how to put on a party!

What do you think?? :rambo:

Stella Boy
09-09-2004, 09:05 PM
Think you've summed him up already mate. He's a party DJ who controls the crowd, more by his movement then his skills as a dj. I'd still go so him play just for the crack.

neko
09-09-2004, 09:10 PM
i like sven vath.

he obviously lives for his music, and is a great entertainer.
one of those djs who creates a great atmosphere simply by being there. :cool:

Tiptoe
09-09-2004, 09:12 PM
i can appreciate him for what he is and what he has done but not my cup of tea really. saying that i have a few good sets of him but yeah he is more of an entertainer than anything else.

eyes without a face
09-09-2004, 09:22 PM
he is undeniably a legend in dance music, and i use the words dance music and not techno as we all know he's had his fingers in quite a few musical pies along the years.... BUT!

ive never been a fan of Vath, we all like party djs and djs who interact with the crowd, but i think that the skillz are more important and for me there are many others who do what Vath does but alot better

Col
09-09-2004, 09:25 PM
i respect him. but that doesnt mean i enjoy his music.

eyes without a face
09-09-2004, 09:33 PM
WORD

Stella Boy
09-09-2004, 09:43 PM
I know techno fans are passionate about the music and appreciate the skills dj's display but when it comes to Sven, it party time, end of story. We all know he's not the worlds best technical dj but he brings so much to a party.
Techno can be so anal at times. I've walk round a club when he's on and I here people moaning about his lack of skills( people who I know have heard him before) , I just think why the fukc did you bother coming then :roll: . People forget sometimes that we go to clubs to have a party and let loose after a week of work or studying and then to stand in a club and bitch about him doesn't make sense to me, especially when you've spent your hard earned money to get in. :eh:

Frank Dogshit
09-09-2004, 10:08 PM
:clap:

spot on that tony,i think sven vath whips up an incredible atmosphere wherever you see him. fair enough he does play some stinkers but when you attend one of his partys its like youve been invited to his partys and hes gonna do his best to rock it for you. if u get me. like a personal touch,i really enjoy that as thats what cocoons all about.

your right about things being too anal at times. i think thats why the techno scene in europe is basically thriving because the majority of people that follow techno are far more open minded and just go for the party but can appreciate all shapes and forms of techno.

i dont think ive ever seen such a cult following of germans like sven vath has.its quite extrordinary.

neko
09-09-2004, 10:12 PM
I know techno fans are passionate about the music and appreciate the skills dj's display but when it comes to Sven, it party time, end of story. We all know he's not the worlds best technical dj but he brings so much to a party.
Techno can be so anal at times. I've walk round a club when he's on and I here people moaning about his lack of skills( people who I know have heard him before) , I just think why the fukc did you bother coming then :roll: . People forget sometimes that we go to clubs to have a party and let loose after a week of work or studying and then to stand in a club and bitch about him doesn't make sense to me, especially when you've spent your hard earned money to get in. :eh:

spot on indeed that stella boy :clap:

Frank Dogshit
09-09-2004, 10:16 PM
obviously you cant justify some of the cheesy waffles he may drop. but hes a legend within our scene and seems like a good lad. :lol:

Stella Boy
09-09-2004, 10:17 PM
I think I might open a corner of the club for chin strokers, roped off of course. Then, these people can sit there all night moaning about how DJ X dropped a beat, doesn't smile, doesn't dance and why does he use pc software and not vinyl. :lol:

Get off your arse and dance and screw what the dj is using/playing and just enjoy the night. :cool:

Tiptoe
09-09-2004, 10:24 PM
I think I might open a corner of the club for chin strokers, roped off of course. Then, these people can sit there all night moaning about how DJ X dropped a beat, doesn't smile, doesn't dance and why does he use pc software and not vinyl. :lol:

Get off your arse and dance and screw what the dj is using/playing and just enjoy the night. :cool:

dibbs on the fromt part of that section :lol:

Frank Dogshit
09-09-2004, 10:26 PM
wise words them tony.although i think id have to have access all areas cos i can be a bit of chin stroking arse at times.but i think im growin out of it slightly now. :lol:

Stella Boy
09-09-2004, 10:31 PM
wise words them tony.although i think id have to have access all areas cos i can be a bit of chin stroking arse at times.but i think im growin out of it slightly now. :lol:

You fussy bugger, I'l have to buy an ink stamp for hand now so you can mingle between the 2 areas :rambo: :lol:

fatcollective
09-09-2004, 10:32 PM
i have never seen Sven Vath at a club but have heard a few of his sets on CD..to me "Sven Vath" is a techno legend (probably in a simular league to Carl Cox) and if i had the chance to see him play, i certainly wouldnt refuse!

davethedrummer
09-09-2004, 11:06 PM
i used to be right into his trance stuff years ago
it was always a bit hippy dippy but being a dippy hippy myself ........

i used to have some old mixtapes of his and that was well before i knew anything about mixing , him and dj dag at some famous club in frankfurt ( forgot the name!)

but i once heard he drank 52 cans of beer in one dj session and anyone who can do that and still walk home after is a legend in my books.

party djs are great i.m.o.
but really dreadful mixes can eventually wind you up. esp. when you've got some guy jumping up and down like it's best thing ever and the mix is just going " clatter clatter clatter"

Stella Boy
09-09-2004, 11:48 PM

i used to have some old mixtapes of his and that was well before i knew anything about mixing , him and dj dag at some famous club in frankfurt ( forgot the name!)

but i once heard he drank 52 cans of beer in one dj session and anyone who can do that and still walk home after is a legend in my books.

but really dreadful mixes can eventually wind you up. esp. when you've got some guy jumping up and down like it's best thing ever and the mix is just going " clatter clatter clatter"

I think the club will probably be The Omen in Frankfurt. Sven's & Dag's sets in the 90's were legendary, 20 hours being the longest (I think). Sven would start his marathon set with chilled out ambient material then slowly over the night bring the pace up then for the final 10 hours or so, completely hammer it out.
Sven's mixing isn't really clatter clatter, it's just basic, dropping the last 8 bars in generally. Dag's mixing on the other had was clatter clatter.

davethedrummer
09-09-2004, 11:50 PM
THE OMEN thank you!

Stella Boy
09-09-2004, 11:58 PM
The Omen was the old dis-used airport, the lower floor. Hundreds of gemans marching in time with each other to pounding techno and very rarely smiling.

Sunil
10-09-2004, 12:02 AM

I think the club will probably be The Omen in Frankfurt. Sven's & Dag's sets in the 90's were legendary, 20 hours being the longest (I think). Sven would start his marathon set with chilled out ambient material then slowly over the night bring the pace up then for the final 10 hours or so, completely hammer it out.
Sven's mixing isn't really clatter clatter, it's just basic, dropping the last 8 bars in generally. Dag's mixing on the other had was clatter clatter.

Haha, now we're suckin' diesel :) I used to love Dag's mixes, sure they weren't the most proficiently mixed beats wise but he did play some awesome music and built his sets very well , it was at a time when I was hearing *loads* of new music and starting to really warm to hard underground German techno/hard trance.

Vath I respected from the old stuff, but all this techno icon, techno king crap is complete bollocks. What's he done? Released the odd good remix or single while he sits on his hole sipping champagne or acting the arsehole in clubs. I don't deny him his lifestyle, he's earned it and he's a good showman blah; but there's no way you can put him up there as some kind of legend of the techno scene... He thinks he is, but he hasn't earned it, Cocoon or no Cocoon. It's funny though I actually think he's capable of making some great music and putting a nice twist on techno if he wants to, he never bothers though.

neko
10-09-2004, 12:46 AM
Released the odd good remix or single while he sits on his hole sipping champagne or acting the arsehole in clubs.

lol :lol:
thats one way to look at it.
when i saw him at cocoon, he was dangling over the side of the balcony throwing flowers and bottles of champagne into the crowd.
didnt think there were much call for it, but it was still funny.
there's no harm in him.

Evil G
10-09-2004, 12:58 AM
if you listen to the mix cd he did with richie hawtin (sounds of the 3rd season - or something like that) it's pretty easy to recognize the difference in their mixing styles. build it up vs bang it in. it almost seemed like richie was taking the piss and trying to make him look bad, but he wouldn't do that would he?

Jav
10-09-2004, 01:19 AM
sven is a legend. he's been through different phases musically bu he always rocks a party.

he got me into techno when i first came across (contact) i was hooked. ;)

Frank Dogshit
10-09-2004, 01:50 AM
if you listen to the mix cd he did with richie hawtin (sounds of the 3rd season - or something like that) it's pretty easy to recognize the difference in their mixing styles. build it up vs bang it in. it almost seemed like richie was taking the piss and trying to make him look bad, but he wouldn't do that would he?

i always thought that was a selection of hand picked tracks from over the cocoon summer mixed in a studio.not by vath or hawtin.

i maybe wrong tho.

Evil G
10-09-2004, 02:44 AM
well, i don't doubt it is a studio mix, but you can still hear that every 2nd mix is really short.

fitipaldi
10-09-2004, 11:19 AM
It's fair enough if the guy likes a party but when you pay to see him in a club he should at least make an effort with the music. The last two times I have seem him he has just been up there clowining behind the decks. At cocoon he was just wandering about in the Dj booth talkin to people and near the end of each tune he would wander over, do a shit mix, put his arms in the air and lap up the applause.........poor. I respect that he may have played a part in shaping the scene but his effort latly is lacking. He wasn't even playing good tunes, just shit trance.

I thought you were in the same camp danny you piece of dogshit ;)

massplanck
10-09-2004, 11:29 AM
I think I might open a corner of the club for chin strokers, roped off of course.

Thats the best idea I have heard all year! :lol:

I am currently trying to track down old Vath sets (94-97) when he was playing acid trance tunes like Teste - The Wipe et al... any pointers greatly appreciated..

gunjack
10-09-2004, 02:39 PM
sven sucks. if anybody knows at least one bouncer in ibiza, there should be a fountain of stories to go around. get crackin.

"somebody run to the store for a new pair of pants for sven!"

278d7e64a374de26f==