PDA

View Full Version : The UK scene?

Sunil
11-09-2004, 12:11 AM
I remember hearing this mentioned before and I guess it still holds true, if listings that I read are anything to go by anyway. Very few of the good UK techno producers actually play in the clubs much over there. I could name lots of people but to start the ball rolling you've got Max Duley, Oliver Ho, Damon Vallero, Space DJz and so many more... Have I got this all wrong, I don't know really? But it's just an observation, esp. when I get another really wicked 12" by some UK guy and then think "hmm, I rarely see their name around for playing gigs?"

I suppose this comes down to the UK scene and that, most of you know it and live it, get pissed off with it, revel in it, whatever... but what's your actual opinion of it now, why are so many of your stars out in the cold?

I know this kind of thing happens in lots of other countries, but I'm not talking about them, I'm talking about England :)

anyone?

Alan Oldham
11-09-2004, 01:36 AM
Being on the same booking roster as a lot of the British cats, I'd say they definitely play more outside the UK.

From my perspective, all I can figure is that the UK goes by the dance music press and trends, and most of the techno guys don't play the pop game, and don't get the opportunities that higher-profile DJs get.

That having been said, I've been to/played parties in London that get a jaded response from the locals, but are way better than anything in the States

Then again, mostly all my gigs are outside North America so it's the same everywhere. I don't think I've played the USA at all this year except for my own parties

Rog
11-09-2004, 03:05 AM
good thread - i will write my english reply monday! to tired and may not put accross what i wan at the mo. :clap:

fitipaldi
11-09-2004, 11:00 AM
maybe it is more of a risk for promoters to book these less well 'comercially established' names. Although, It seems that most techno nights in the uk are relativly small nights now so promoters are booking more of these less well known, yet equally exciting Dj's, who don't demand astronomical fees for sets. Max Duley and Jamie Bissmire have both played in manchester recently (cheers Locked :clap: ).

This can only be a good thing, the lineups for Darkside have been amazing of late, a good balance of big names and underground talent. Another good sign for the scene is the quality of some of the residents a lot of uk techno nights.

Tiptoe
11-09-2004, 01:25 PM
this is a subject i could really go on one about. As mentioned above nights have great line ups which deserve the night being packed out every time but they are not. people moan about the state of the scene over here but some of the same people are not out there supporting the nights. paul damage and makaton was the line up last night at darkside which i think is an ace line up and the numbers through the door were not brilliant. If people don't get their asses to the nights then there won't be nights. I know everyone on here goes and supports their local and other nights cos we all love it to death here just wish more people flet the same and supported it too!

eyes without a face
11-09-2004, 01:54 PM
its a tough one, the scene over here tends to be mainly focused on getting people thru the door and into the clubs, and to do that then (as always!) clubs have to rely on booking the big names! sad but true... its an age old problem.

Alot of clubs tho in the uk now have a healthy mix of big names and new talent. Alot of this new talent are the younger chaps (myself included, without the arrogance!) and this can only be a good thing. There are plenty of Djs on here and in everyones local scene who u just KNOW can put on a better show than some of the big guns, simply because they have the love, passion and energy for what they are doing that some of the big guns just dont seem to have! They will have once been like the new kids on the block, but success and money can change alot of people's views, actions etc etc and its often these Djs/Producers who come up for quite a slagging off at times when they play clubs and leave the punters disapointed with yet another lacklustre and effortless set.

its very easy to get let down in the scene, with gigs etc as everyone will know, and this does leave u feeling disheartened at times, but all anyone can do is keep trying to get out there playing, and to keep our fingers crossed that the clubs keep interested and keep getting on the quality djs and acts that are out there waiting to be discovered!

MARKEG
12-09-2004, 07:34 AM
I can really go on about this too.

As most of you know, I also play hard trance and in the UK my gigs are 90% in hard trance/rave clubs. 10% are in techno clubs. You have to go abroad most of the time to play quality techno nights. The scene just isnt here. It's a nightmare. you try so hard to get ppl into the sound in your own little way but it's so hard when you're followed by some uplifting trance DJ. I so wish it was more balanced but it simply cant be with the state of the UK scene.

The problem is, most of the clubs just dont support techno. And I've sat for hours wondering why this is but this is the conclusion I came to:

The UK club crowds are very expressive in the way they dance. You play a hard trance set and the formulation of it seems to give a collective euphoria on the dancefloor that makes people lift there hands up in the air on nearly every break and get's a 'wooooooahhhh' when the kick comes in with the usual bass line. I think about house music ala Pete Tong and because this music is played to death on Radio 1 ppl know the tracks and react to things they know. So the hands go in the air again. At the end of the day, predictablity enables more people to look at each other and react to the same thing: Result = massive euphoria on the dancefloor. Techno just isnt like this. The euphoria is in your head. But it's more powerful than all of the above music put together. Arrghhhh!!!!!

Now put yourself in the club owners shoes. You see a trance or house or even drum and bass (lighters in the air) crowd and then you see a techno crowd. The difference from an outsiders point of view is that the techno crowd are a miserable bunch of cunts and the predictable crowd are there with there hands in the air. There you go.

And that's why I think there's no techno nights in the UK. Club owners need numbers through the door - especially with the new bar laws where any old sod can open a bar on a town centre street corner. So they go off crowd reaction.

PS Locked was brilliant when I played there. Sure the numbers werent amazing but what a lovely bunch of people they were - all really into the sound. I hope they get me down again ;) Hey and Darkside is great tooo.

Actually when we do get a good night together in the UK, they really do rock. Take the Orbit for example (my spiritual home). That crowd was the most euphoric crowd ever. There was more atmosphere in that place than any club I've ever been to in my entire life. See - it does happen!!! But not very often :(

Tiptoe
12-09-2004, 09:23 AM
yeah the orbit will be a one off a reckon.i doubt there will be anything as good on that scale for atmosphere but jay and ad are doing their best at locked and i really enjoyed surgeon last month and for darkside i can promise you the best is yet to come. Its a shame the numbers aren't there which means the parties aren't as big and as many names aren't able to be booked but as long as we keep doing our thing it will still be alive and kicking just got to keep supporting everyone where you can.

serox
15-09-2004, 11:13 AM
i think the uk also has a lot of other genres that are just making more money as they have more people intrested.

i dont think around europe they have the garage,dnb,rnb like we do in UK?

would uk techno prodcuers get paid more to work out of the uk also?

subsonic
16-09-2004, 12:12 PM
we have just got to keep plugging away in there
at subsonica on saturday just gone we didnt have a massive crowd in there but omg what an atmosphere the party people let you know they where there and the it was great walking around seeing all these happy faces .
shit we lost a shed load of money coz the numbers where down
but the buzz going around the place make's me want to keep going as if 180 people go home saying that was wicked whens the next ill tell all my mates then hay we got to be doing something right
i just hope the party people start coming out so we can continue ;)

eyes without a face
16-09-2004, 07:20 PM
WORD

miss bass
16-09-2004, 08:07 PM
I think we should all move to Belgium or Germany, probably have better luck out there :lol:

eyes without a face
16-09-2004, 08:16 PM
hahaha yeah we probably would

nice avatar miss

miss bass
16-09-2004, 08:18 PM
hahaha yeah we probably would

nice avatar miss

lol thanks your too, btw i tried adding you to msn but it didnt work :)

jonnyspeed
16-09-2004, 08:42 PM
I heard San Paolo and Poland are good for parties.

jonnyspeed
16-09-2004, 09:05 PM
Unfortunately, in the UK people think that going out raving is something you should grow out of and settle down. House, garage and drum&bass etc... are just seen as more layed back and fun - something you can still do in your 30s.

278d7e64a374de26f==