PDA

View Full Version : Ableton Live 4

mrbenn
14-09-2004, 04:55 PM
I've been hearing lots of good things about this program recently, & am thinking of purchasing it and some equipment to go with it.

Im a bit clueless as to the auxilary equipment I would need to go with it. Any help is much appreciated ;)

I intend to use it as a DJ tool and use it along side my decks in DJ sets.

I have MIDI out on my mixer (which uses MTC to sync) so I could use this to sync the BPM's of the software and vinyl.

Im looking for advice on a suitable soundcard and a suitable controller for ableton.

I need a soundcard with at least 2 audio inputs & 2 audio outputs.

I will need to connect my mixer as well as a MIDI controller (for ableton) into the soundcard, does this mean I will need a soundcard with 2 MIDI inputs???

xfive
14-09-2004, 05:17 PM
I've been hearing lots of good things about this program recently, & am thinking of purchasing it and some equipment to go with it.

Im a bit clueless as to the auxilary equipment I would need to go with it. Any help is much appreciated ;)

I intend to use it as a DJ tool and use it along side my decks in DJ sets.

I have MIDI out on my mixer (which uses MTC to sync) so I could use this to sync the BPM's of the software and vinyl.

Im looking for advice on a suitable soundcard and a suitable controller for ableton.

I need a soundcard with at least 2 audio inputs & 2 audio outputs.

I will need to connect my mixer as well as a MIDI controller (for ableton) into the soundcard, does this mean I will need a soundcard with 2 MIDI inputs???

As far as low-cost solutions go, an M-Audio Quattro will handle the audio, and one midi port. You can then get either a 1x1 usb midi, or a 2x2 and keep it all on that one unit. M-Audio makes those things as well.

Midi controller wise, for dj'ing there's the Evolution X-Session, and the Grex MFX8... also the Faderfox series (if you live in Europe :P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P)

I haven't made up my mind yet about a midi controller for Live4 personally... but I need to make up my mind this week :)

mrbenn
14-09-2004, 05:32 PM
cheers for some ideas buddy ;)

TechMouse
14-09-2004, 07:21 PM
Controller-wise it really depends what you want to do. If you don't need a keyboard, i.e. you'll be working with pre-recorded / pre-programmed loops and just fiddling with stuff, then you could do a lot worse than a Kenton control freak. We use one, and it really does the business.

MARKEG
14-09-2004, 10:21 PM
just get it mate, it's an amazing program. i really recommend it..

EmotionComplex
14-09-2004, 11:01 PM
yeah ive been having loads of fun with this programme over the last couple of months, its now part of a plan im working towards next year. the evolution uc33 controler is what im looking towards at the moment for use with it. it has 24 asignable knobs, 9 assignable faders, and 14 assignable buttons.

i have been saving up :lol: , should be able to get it next month hopefully

thetonewrecka
16-09-2004, 06:53 PM
@emotionComplex- If you get the evolution controller, make sure to get the UC-33E as the original has no way to bypass/mute the knob/slider sends. Since the aren't endless rotary knobs you can save yourself the headaches of suddenly having a control knob all the way "up" and you see your track has the assigned control in an "zero" position. your parameter suddenly JUMPS when you touch the knob before you can get it in position to latch where the screen settings are.

there's a control send mute added on the uc-33e to help.

I know you can always do "snapshot" grabs of your assignments, but you'll still find yourself wishing at times to be able to reposition the knobs/sliders without interrupting the sound.

EmotionComplex
16-09-2004, 06:54 PM
@emotionComplex- If you get the evolution controller, make sure to get the UC-33E as the original has no way to bypass/mute the knob/slider sends. Since the aren't endless rotary knobs you can save yourself the headaches of suddenly having a control knob all the way "up" and you see your track has the assigned control in an "zero" position. your parameter suddenly JUMPS when you touch the knob before you can get it in position to latch where the screen settings are.

there's a control send mute added on the uc-33e to help.

I know you can always do "snapshot" grabs of your assignments, but you'll still find yourself wishing at times to be able to reposition the knobs/sliders without interrupting the sound.

hey thanks very much for that info man, sounds like a useful addition

miss bass
17-09-2004, 12:00 AM
wow this is sooooo cool.

I want it, its the type of thing id just spend hours like a geek doing

Miromiric
17-09-2004, 11:43 AM
you heard my offer missy. i teach u ableton and you....

miss bass
17-09-2004, 01:29 PM
you heard my offer missy. i teach u ableton and you....

yeh, but your offer didnt really involve using ableton!!lol

Debroglie
17-09-2004, 01:39 PM
Man live for rips .... it's by far the funnest sequencer on the market ! It's made music spontaneous and extremely fun for me again ....

DJZeMigL
17-09-2004, 01:47 PM
Use the envelopes and the sample off-set... this is by far one of the coolest and most hidden feat. of this program!

Z

djshiva
11-10-2004, 12:31 PM
i *heart* sample offset!

thetonewrecka
11-10-2004, 03:53 PM
I've been finding the flexible midi routing a key to the one instrument per track limitation.

let the good times roll

Actually midi sequencing the sherman filter bank which feeds back into the program is making the computer do somersaults in the best possible way.

auditory hallucinations
11-10-2004, 05:59 PM
"Actually midi sequencing the sherman filter bank which feeds back into the program is making the computer do somersaults in the best possible way."

Sounds wicked, so you're sending midi to the fb then routing the audio back into Live? Have both bits of gear and I'm keen to get more into this kind of thang.

thetonewrecka
11-10-2004, 06:16 PM
Sounds wicked, so you're sending midi to the fb then routing the audio back into Live? Have both bits of gear and I'm keen to get more into this kind of thang.

If you have a soundcard with multiple ins/outs and external gear than you get many crazy ways to manipulate your sounds and make new clips. It's a blast when pieces start working together internally and externally. Like a 3d movie.

auditory hallucinations
12-10-2004, 09:25 AM
Yep I have multiple in / out soundcard, Live 4 & Filterbank! Could you just please maybe give me one example, something to get me started and give me a few ideas?

Thanx.

278d7e64a374de26f==