PDA

View Full Version : How many of you EQ you techno mixes?

serox
15-09-2004, 10:39 AM
When i was first shown how to mix the guys i mixed with at squats and at home always told me never to use the EQ's unless you really had too.
They taught me to mix without EQ the records and if some thing went wrong how to use the EQ's to hide it. I know using the EQ's makes it easier to mix, some people say they do it because it makes the records sound better? I think that’s bullshitJ I much rather listen to a DJ who can make smooth, tight mixes without EQ'ing the record at all.

How many of you when mixing Techno will use the EQ's and why?

gumpy green
15-09-2004, 12:41 PM
When i was first shown how to mix the guys i mixed with at squats and at home always told me never to use the EQ's unless you really had too.
They taught me to mix without EQ the records and if some thing went wrong how to use the EQ's to hide it. I know using the EQ's makes it easier to mix, some people say they do it because it makes the records sound better? I think that’s bullshitJ I much rather listen to a DJ who can make smooth, tight mixes without EQ'ing the record at all.

sorry man have to well disagree with you ther...

ill use eq, fx, tricks, skratchin, whatever to flip the tracks how i want to....

one use of the eq-(2 tracks mixin/beatmatchin)

u can gradually take the bass out of one track,
then
gradually take the bass out of the other track,
then on the first kick of the new bar bring in the bass on one track instantely right back in,
let the shit play for a bar or 2,
then bring in the other bass,

it lifts the NRG from low to quite high then to ooooohhhhhh ya coooont yi.

gumpy green
15-09-2004, 12:45 PM
a dj should be able to use all "tools" availble to stamp ther own style onto ther mix.....otherwize it aint really a "such an such" mix.....anybody couldve done it.

feel free to disagree.

im one that can honestly say i know i have my own style.

fatcollective
15-09-2004, 12:49 PM
EQing, using effects, scratching, cutting is all part of the "Djing of Today" it makes the set more interesting and it also makes the dj work harder. EQing is essential, i mean how many records do you have that are louder than others, you must get the EQing right so that the mix will go nice n smooth. Bass EQing is very popular, especailly if you are playing through a FAT rig....look at the stuff UMEK does...need i say no more!

serox
15-09-2004, 12:51 PM
i like listenin to long smooth mixes. letting the record play from start to finish but having both play the whole set. i dont like to play loopy tracks but records that change loads by them selfs. i prefer to listen to two tracks that are both changing at the same time. things stoping and starting at same time etc.

think it is harder to do a smooth set without the EQ's. The EQ's make it easier when yo are cutting the bass.

fitipaldi
15-09-2004, 03:43 PM
The EQ's make it easier when yo are cutting the bass.

The EQ is the only way to cut the bass :?: (without filters).

Paul Zykotik
15-09-2004, 04:04 PM
I use them from time to time. Really though the only people in the crowd who notice the use of EQs are other dj's. Most people dancing away couldn't even tell a dodgy mix.

fatcollective
15-09-2004, 04:12 PM
Good point there...but if the promoter is stood anywhere near ya, i think he would start cringing... :oops:

xfive
15-09-2004, 04:14 PM
I use them from time to time. Really though the only people in the crowd who notice the use of EQs are other dj's. Most people dancing away couldn't even tell a dodgy mix.

I think if your kick and/or bass disappear due to frequency cancellation anyone would notice :)
*Especially* those dancing... what would their point of reference be? :lol:

EQ is a must if you are serious.

miss bass
15-09-2004, 04:55 PM
Eq' ing was like something i instinctly did when getting my decks im sure, its damn important!!

All part of the fun too of making a mix interesting, but definately at least needs to be used for basic smoothe mixing too!!Just makes it sound nicer. Its great hearing trebles from another tune come in or more mid orientated tunes etc!!

davethedrummer
15-09-2004, 06:09 PM
playing techno is all about blending and really "playing" with the tunes
it definately has an element of turntabalism about it.
to not use eq's, fx etc is to deny progress in music , technology and dj'ing

fair enough if you wanna be "purist" about the tunes you play
but just by mixing them together you are already taking away that element.

maybe we should just play each track from end to end
and not mix at all???

naah not for me , get stuck in that's what i say. ;)

Tiptoe
15-09-2004, 06:12 PM
yeah blending messing with eq'sa and all that stuff is what i enjoy about actually dj'ing. would be very boring i think if i didn't do stuff like that.

xfive
15-09-2004, 06:19 PM
Oh man the worst is trying to play on one of those Rane's that doesn't have the EQ module attached to it.

OMFG is that such a cramp in style :evil:

miss bass
15-09-2004, 06:25 PM
get stuck in that's what i say. ;)

definately ;)

anx
15-09-2004, 06:45 PM

yikes dude!!! you have to shake that habbit! Eq'ing is one of the most important aspects to dj'ing once you get beat matching and track selection down.

mixing is about blending the tracks together. your job as a dj is to make 2 tracks go together without making it sound like you are. That is impossible to do without eq'ing.

Jay Sanders
15-09-2004, 06:50 PM
get stuck in that's what i say. ;)

definately ;)

Yeah when you can mix as good as you Henry its ok to get stuck in!!!

jonnyspeed
15-09-2004, 06:50 PM
I think you can do whatever you want to stamp your feel on your set.

Imagine if somebody said never touch the tempo or volume on a track!

MangaFish
15-09-2004, 08:16 PM
I think you can do whatever you want to stamp your feel on your set.

Imagine if somebody said never touch the tempo or volume on a track!

or the crossfader :lol:

Evil G
15-09-2004, 08:27 PM
"whoever can cheat the best win," i always say.

Fake DJ
15-09-2004, 08:52 PM
eqing is one of the most important things in djing imo, you can really define and be so creative with them

you cold have a 2 tune playing together and take out most of the bass so it sounds like the tune is progressing inot a breakdown, then you can build a tune up really nicely with eqs and drop the bass of a different tune back in! stuff like that is just not possible without eqing

eqing is all about showing off the best bits of a tune to the crowd too imo :)

Sunil
15-09-2004, 08:54 PM
Nice to read of a few of the replies here, but come on guys??? What a ridiculous thread.

THE END (I hope) :)

tioneb
15-09-2004, 09:37 PM
i like tweaking eqs ...

but 3 records and eqs are enough for me so that i dont really used efx ....

you all seem to think EFX are as much essential as EQs . i disagree with that, i dont deny technology, i just find EFX useless most of the times.

romelpotter
15-09-2004, 09:47 PM
something I learned at the week end, if the decks are chest height then the chances are that you aint gonna see the treble eq settings all that well, so if you use them then swallow your pride and get something to feckin stand on !!!! :oops: ;)

and back to the topic in hand, I use the eq's and anything else i can get hold of because its fun, and if you is havin fun then thats gonna translate to the crowd as well. all good fun at the end of the day :lol:

moogz
16-09-2004, 04:29 AM
Peacock Inn.

Who's down? Bound to be the post-party squat-ssatisfactorizor.

Ask me nicely and i'll bring my ****ing records. But the asking wonm't happen.
S
So lets just ****ing urm have it instead.

</hackney lean>

serox
16-09-2004, 08:45 AM
Peacock Inn.

Who's down? Bound to be the post-party squat-ssatisfactorizor.

Ask me nicely and i'll bring my **** records. But the asking wonm't happen.
S
So lets just **** urm have it instead.

</hackney lean>

lol

serox
16-09-2004, 08:46 AM
Nice to read of a few of the replies here, but come on guys??? What a ridiculous thread.

i dont agere with that at all, i was just asking what people do when mixing.

i see a lot of people playing out who also do not touch the EQ's at all. not every one enjoys cutting the bass and flicking the x-fader around

Jay Pace
16-09-2004, 01:07 PM
I disagree with pitch faders altogether. I prefer to keep pushing and slowing down the platter. And using headphones to cue is for plebs and nonces.

:shock:

miss bass
16-09-2004, 01:22 PM
I disagree with pitch faders altogether. I prefer to keep pushing and slowing down the platter. And using headphones to cue is for plebs and nonces.

:shock:

lol quality

Sunil
16-09-2004, 02:16 PM

i dont agere with that at all, i was just asking what people do when mixing.

i see a lot of people playing out who also do not touch the EQ's at all. not every one enjoys cutting the bass and flicking the x-fader around

Refusing to use EQs or not wanting to is seriously handicapping yourself as a DJ. It's like telling a carpenter he shouldn't use a measuring tape because measuring tapes are "bullshit".

Fair play for starting the thread, I've read a few good responses but as for the actual subject at hand, sorry :dontevengothere:

gumpy green
16-09-2004, 03:19 PM
playing techno is all about blending and really "playing" with the tunes
it definately has an element of turntabalism about it.
to not use eq's, fx etc is to deny progress in music , technology and dj'ing

. ;)
fekin word....

all i hope is even more turntablism creeps in......

my first love is djing so luv all aspects of "freakin it"

Paul Zykotik
16-09-2004, 04:37 PM
I think if your kick and/or bass disappear due to frequency cancellation anyone would notice :)
*Especially* those dancing... what would their point of reference be? :lol:

EQ is a must if you are serious.

Of course they'll notice - they'll just think it's part of the tune rather than dj skill though :)

lunatrick
16-09-2004, 09:19 PM
you could get away with not eq'ing in the house - but try having two large kick drums together on a large system without cutting at least some of the bass on one - too much wierd phasing and distortion - personally I like the point where you've brought in the second tune and then you cross the bass over - and then your off....lovely..............

mek
17-09-2004, 01:11 AM
EQ'ing can add a lot to a mix and is essential for the really high end mixing.

Although it is a little bit of a cheat when you mix the record coming in with the eq at zero, then suddenly boost the eq on that record and reduce the record before it to zero in order to hide that the record weren't matched up well.

Tony
17-09-2004, 01:50 AM
the tragedy of 2band eq at home
but joy of four band, 12db boost, 26db cut out in clubs with an eq punch button

http://www.jbeldin.com/personal/homer_drool.jpg

Tony
17-09-2004, 01:53 AM
sorry, that was my thousandth post
http://www.geocities.com/pearly1900/homer/homer-woohoo.gif

serox
17-09-2004, 09:10 AM
EQ'ing can add a lot to a mix and is essential for the really high end mixing.

Although it is a little bit of a cheat when you mix the record coming in with the eq at zero, then suddenly boost the eq on that record and reduce the record before it to zero in order to hide that the record weren't matched up well.

agreed, i dont like to say it but i think of that as a kind of cheat also. it makes it a lot easier if you mix like that.

i have seen richie hawtin and laurent garnier mix without EQ every record.

i know this is a techno forum, but other genres dont all have to EQ records to stop this phasing problem i have heard some mention on big systems.

In fact when i see hardcore techno DJs play in holland/germany when they have two hard kicks going at the same time without cutin the bass it makes a much louder kick.

Jay Pace
17-09-2004, 01:03 PM
If you have two loud kicks going at the same time, with both bass eq's up, then all the little red lights on your mixer will start to flash. Of course if you don't care about the little red lights this doesn't matter, but your frustrated sound engineer might, as might the owner of any half decent PA your are using. If you only play in squats or your bedroom sound quality may not be an issue.

Put basically, if you want to get the best out of your mix you EQ it. You don't have to, but it won't sound as good. And you can't be as creative.

Don't understand this bizarre luddite attitude to technology. Or how you can possibly think that eq'ing is "cheating". Mixing off a prerecorded DAT or CD whilst pretending to play live is cheating (which several v.famous people have been caught out doing).

serox
17-09-2004, 01:38 PM
If you have two loud kicks going at the same time, with both bass eq's up, then all the little red lights on your mixer will start to flash. Of course if you don't care about the little red lights this doesn't matter, but your frustrated sound engineer might, as might the owner of any half decent PA your are using. If you only play in squats or your bedroom sound quality may not be an issue.

Put basically, if you want to get the best out of your mix you EQ it. You don't have to, but it won't sound as good. And you can't be as creative.

Don't understand this bizarre luddite attitude to technology. Or how you can possibly think that eq'ing is "cheating". Mixing off a prerecorded DAT or CD whilst pretending to play live is cheating (which several v.famous people have been caught out doing).

i said that mixing with the bass cut off totally then puting it on i think is cheating:) it hides any mistake you have made in not cueing the record right?

i dont play in the red ever on any system that would be stupid.

we all know you can have two records playing at the same time without the EQ's in the red. just seems in techno many DJ's (not all) like to cutt the bass when mixing two kicks.

i dont see it happening when i see people mixing dnb,electro, new beat, hardcore techno.

each to their own.

H3lx
19-09-2004, 09:31 PM
so is your arguement against people having the incoming bass cut all the way, and the playing bass at 12 o clock, and then switching straight away?

or are you argueing against people who like to use the eqs to blend the highs, mids, and basses of the incoming track into those of the outgoing track?

coz theyre both using eq?

also if 2 records arent mixed well, and you switch the basses, its still gonna sound shit. theres more to music than the bass, so just killing the bass isnt gonna disguise the highs and mids if theyre out

MangaFish
19-09-2004, 09:45 PM
we all know you can have two records playing at the same time without the EQ's in the red. just seems in techno many DJ's (not all) like to cutt the bass when mixing two kicks.

i dont see it happening when i see people mixing dnb,electro, new beat, hardcore techno :eh:

i see it happening in EVERY style of music from house/techno/electo/prog to hardhouse/hardcore/dnb

Mindful
19-09-2004, 11:54 PM
i realy think you should be using your EQ if your mixing techno and forget about this extreamly bad advice :rambo: you got at said squat party.
if you want to blend and create energy in your mix i would say its vital
you may want to cut a certain sound or frequency before intended on the record to suite the mix or its great for little tricks and creating your own fills like taking the middle rite down and the treble rite up for like 2 beats to give you a intense rush of high freq madness(sounds real good if the bass is cut at the same time)if your not using EQ then your cheating yourself out of a deeper world of mixing.
feel free to take this advice-USE YOUR EQ,s ;)

dirty_bass
20-09-2004, 12:15 AM
start using a real basic mixer with no eq`s.
And see how pants you mix can be kids.
All tools, when used skillfully and in the right place, enhance the performance.

Buttman
20-09-2004, 09:33 AM
:lol: :lol:

The Overfiend
20-09-2004, 03:37 PM
What's so funny super dj Grover?
http://www.frii.com/~lmulcahy/grover-potty.gif

Adverse
20-09-2004, 08:47 PM

yep. :roll:

mattboyslim
20-09-2004, 09:51 PM
my first mixer had no eqs so i learnt do it without effectively (very hard i must add), but i cant help touch the things now. u can add so many different dimensions to your sets. you can really work the crowd with eq and for some mixes its essential. use and abuse i say

massplanck
22-09-2004, 03:45 PM
I think you want a mixer that look like this.

http://img.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/80/800936.jpg

gumpy green
22-09-2004, 04:26 PM
I think you want a mixer that look like this.

http://img.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/80/800936.jpg

yeh thats techno thinking.....gotta push technology forward. ;)

Mindful
22-09-2004, 05:17 PM
and turn up to you giggs on a drop handle and wi your records in a Aldi plastic bag thats underground

MangaFish
22-09-2004, 09:33 PM
i really dont get why anybody would want NOT to use the eq's.

if techno DJing was all about 'lets see how hard we can make it' then DJs would be forced to mix with 1 hand tied behind their back and blind-folded

davethedrummer
26-09-2004, 03:44 PM

if techno DJing was all about 'lets see how hard we can make it' then DJs would be forced to mix with 1 hand tied behind their back and blind-folded

OH THAT...( the hand tied behind the back thing )
i do that all the time......
don't you???

it's a bit like the film 'rocky' you know...press ups ....sit ups.....running around the neighbourhood......you know training for the gig on saturday
only eating white meat and salad...........and
NO WOMEN!

because

WOMEN WEAKEN LEGS!!!!!( as they said in rocky )

i think this approach to djing is what it's all about!

i'll get my coat :oops:

davethedrummer
26-09-2004, 03:45 PM

OH THAT...( the hand tied behind the back thing )
i do that all the time......
don't you???

it's a bit like the film 'rocky' you know...press ups ....sit ups.....running around the neighbourhood......you know training for the gig on saturday
only eating white meat and salad...........and
NO WOMEN!

because

WOMEN WEAKEN LEGS!!!!!( as they said in rocky )

i think this approach to djing is what it's all about!

i'll get my coat :oops:

and of course chasing chickens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Traxx
26-09-2004, 03:52 PM
dont forget the chickens :lol:

MangaFish
26-09-2004, 03:54 PM
:crackup:

278d7e64a374de26f==