PDA

View Full Version : vdjing

wenna
02-04-2003, 01:18 AM
what do ppl think of the visual djing concept or whatever the hell its called???? personally i think it takes attention away from the tunage.......although it may add to the concept in some cases .....ie playing punish and hookin up some dirty slut stickin a cucumber up her camels foot, whilst a one-eyed monster throws yougart everywhere or whatever. :shock: .....its up for debate.......

Patrick
02-04-2003, 10:26 AM
I kinda like it. We already use video, still projections and film projections and light effects to try and create an atmosphere at our nights and parties. The next logical step (and I wish I could afford it) would be to step up to digital VJ gear, using laptops and lcd projectors.
Although I'm personally easily pleased - good tunes and just a single strobe does for me - I think a lot more people are starting to expect more from their nights out. So we try and make the whole thing an experience, trying to set the mood and atmosphere using visual imagery.
I think we're going to see alot more VJing in the future. And when it's done well, like with Coldcut, it can be awesome. Vision is a sense as well, so you may as well stimulate it as part of the experience. It's good to have something for the head when the music is moving your body.

wenna
02-04-2003, 11:53 AM
..........its all about subliminal messages. i got my a levels in art and design and visual communication and meaning, so i well love theconcept..

ampassasinbirmingham
02-04-2003, 01:30 PM
i abseluteley love visuals on the screens. something will pop up for just one second and will make you think about things.

At this event the other day they kept showing a drawing of bobby dinero in taxi driver. every time id go to show a m8 it would be gone. spooky!!!

Patrick
02-04-2003, 01:36 PM
That's a weird coincidence. I spent most of last night looking for one of our videos that we use which has got a great repeat loop of Bobby DeNiro in taxi driver. It's just got that bit where he's got the gun and he keeps posing in the mirror. You know the "are you looking at me?" bit. We had him just repeatedly turning to camera pointing the gun over and over, cut up with some other mad sh1t. Damn, I gotta find it now......

Buttman
02-04-2003, 06:21 PM
what do ppl think of the visual djing concept or whatever the hell its called???? personally i think it takes attention away from the tunage.......although it may add to the concept in some cases .....ie playing punish and hookin up some dirty slut stickin a cucumber up her camels foot, whilst a one-eyed monster throws yougart everywhere or whatever. :shock: .....its up for debate.......

Am I the only one on this planet who dances with eyes shut? I think looking is distracting. I do the same when producing - to feel with my ears instead of looking at the sequenzer.

miasma man
02-04-2003, 07:02 PM
Hmm, I agree on both fronts.

a) Yes I think that visual arts are (or should be) a major part of any night/event - a theme is set and made etc. Like someone said the eyes are as much a sense as the ears.

What's next though virtual tasting, feel, smell etc. "No, I don't want to touch or smell her I can tell she's dirty just by looking at her..."

b) Yes I do dance with my eyes shut, not all the time though cos I like to see mad stuff and if I danced with my eyes shut all the time I'd keep bumping into people and offending them. Yeh, it's been known...

Patrick
02-04-2003, 07:49 PM

Am I the only one on this planet who dances with eyes shut? I think looking is distracting. I do the same when producing - to feel with my ears instead of looking at the sequenzer.

Ha ha. That'll be that gimp mask then ! And you're probably the only person to dance with a billiard ball strapped in their gob as well :wink:

Actually, I used to like wearing sun glasses in dark rooms for that whole visual blackout kind of thing. Then I realised how fcking stupid I looked so I learned to dance with my eyes open. :oops:

Esox Lucius
02-04-2003, 09:16 PM
they can look pretty cool in a club i think.

BritishMurderBoy
03-04-2003, 01:21 AM

i disagree, yeah your at a rave to hear the music but audio-visual is the ultimate in sensorary emotion...... How can you deny that an evocative mix combined with a well place image/video won't make the experience better?

The atomic jam is a bad example, the visuals are provided by someone who doesn't know what the DJ is going to do next, and while they have a bloody good go, it will never be perfect...

but what if next to jeff mill's/Dave Clarkes'/surgeons' xone62 was a televisual mixer? and while smashing out the next beat he was using a video from a database to best visualise that track???

It would be amazing!!! You don't often (if ever) see music videos for techno and this would be the first step...

vdjing is the future, bring it on.................

Patrick
03-04-2003, 10:12 AM
And the other great thing about visuals is that if they're not your cuppa rosie, you can always just shut your eyes and ignore them if you fnd them distracting and think that they take away from the music.

karlo
03-04-2003, 11:00 AM
So, i think thats it most important thing on partys....here is picture from CZ (Prague) from party where 21.3.03 plays Carl Cox.

http://carlo.dedserver.org/VDJ.jpg
--
http://carlo.dedserver.org/vdj2.jpg

Enjoy lasers ! :lol:

Regards,
Karlo

miromiric.
03-04-2003, 11:44 AM
i couldnt be bothered less with lasers. actually i always really hated them. dark, dense colors moving very slowly around does the best effect for me.
visual distracts u from the most important thing, so keep your eyes wide shut.

278d7e64a374de26f==