PDA

View Full Version : Locked Grooves

jonnyspeed
15-09-2004, 07:27 PM
I'm really interested to hear how people use locked grooves in their sets? Something I'd like to get into using but need some inspiration. And does it make any difference using 3 decks or 2?

nice one.

heavy beats
15-09-2004, 07:44 PM
I hardly use them in a set unless a third table is set up. I don't let them ride for too long either cause it can get boring. it's just another layer to throw over a mix. whether it be the drums that stand out or the bassline.

The Overfiend
15-09-2004, 08:18 PM
Locked Grooves rule.

Sunil
16-09-2004, 04:00 PM
Used to play them sometimes, although they rarely appear on records anymore, from what I've seen. The Ergonomix series were good, see if you can still get your hands on any of them.

TripleX
16-09-2004, 04:45 PM
speedy j ´s loudboxer locked grooves are :love:

anx
16-09-2004, 04:56 PM
i normally used them for practicing tricks.

since they are all 133 bpm on quartz, you dont have to beat match them. just lock them up and have at er. i learned how to do real cool cuts, beat juggling, etc

only ever use them on a 3rd deck if im playing out.

Honeey
16-09-2004, 06:52 PM
My favorite :)

I play lock grooves with 2 decks because the chances of getting to use 3 decks in a live set are rare but 3 decks are preferable.

I don't plan anything before hand and I don't know the lock grooves I have off by heart so it's completely improv for me I like to do things on the fly then I can experience it sort of for the first time like the crowd.

I don't play them in every set just when the spirit moves me.

I agree with the fact that they need to be mixed in and out of quickly, The true techno heads can listen to them for an extended period of time and make the rest up in our heads :)

Anyways that's how I approach lock grooves and a thing I love about techno and especially lock grooves is that each dj will sound totally different with that same track or lock groove record, their own style shines through.

pm me if you want a link to a 60 min techno lock groove set with 2 turntables I did 2 years ago.

jonnyspeed
16-09-2004, 08:15 PM
nice one - and welcome Honeey!

I'm playing about with some locked grooves from Ignition Technition and a mixup of Pounding Grooves locked and normal. But just don't seem to get Madonna's 'Holiday' and all the beats sounding like anything I would pay to listen too. practice, eh? :cool:

anx
16-09-2004, 08:44 PM
locked grooves are also great, that if you are using 3 decks, and one track you have has a weak kickdrum to it, you can put on a locked groove with a phat kick drum and ride its bass....making the track sound wicked :)

Patrick
16-09-2004, 09:18 PM
There were some good recommendations in this thread from a while back :

http://www.blackoutaudio.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10318&highlight=acid+burned

Si the Sigh
16-09-2004, 10:08 PM
Excellent techno tools! :cool:

fatcollective
16-09-2004, 10:15 PM
Locked Grooves are good if you are an extremely talented Dj with confidence to drop it in and slam another tunes in (very quickly) its coo to break the set up, but it has to be done properly otherwise your ****ed basically...i am not talented enough to drop in a locked groove or to use 3 decks...so i just leave it to the talented ****ers....the one thing i could do with a locked groove is sample it and use it in production (not sure if im supposed to admit that but hey thats just techno for ya.... :twisted:)

Mucky Beats
16-09-2004, 10:20 PM
hey !!!! just coz hes got fatcollective as his name dont mean we are all loop stealers :dontevengothere:

ha...ha...ha what are you like ;)

fatcollective
16-09-2004, 10:28 PM
i dont think you read it properly....."the one thing i COULD do with locked grooves......." :lol: :lol: :lol:

fatcollective
16-09-2004, 10:30 PM
hey !!!! just coz hes got fatcollective as his name dont mean we are all loop stealers :dontevengothere:

Some of us dont even know how to put a 4 x 4 kick drum together...but hey thats techno :doh:

Mucky Beats
16-09-2004, 10:46 PM

Some of us dont even know how to put a 4 x 4 kick drum together...but hey thats techno :doh:

i dont think you read it properly....."the one thing i COULD do with locked grooves......." :lol: :lol: :lol:

oooooops soz mate....... :oops:

i do need to read things better!

i did'nt think i'd ever see ya take a loop off a tune!:doh:

well i hold my hands up i'm only good at doing tunes with you dude....so :clap:

ampassasinbirmingham
17-09-2004, 12:49 AM
pretty much for home use only but using locked grooves can be excellent on more than 2 decks. Gives a real live feeling to the music. The loudboxer, ignition technition, hawtin and sender loops are all worth checking out!!!.

278d7e64a374de26f==