PDA

View Full Version : What inspires you ?

miasma man
16-09-2004, 09:30 PM
Just wondering, what inspires other people out there to create techno (of all types), electro - in fact just good music, all styles are good.

I guess maybe to be able to go out regularly to techno, electro nights and experience the music, people, atmosphere etc. Also getting fresh records, hangin out with like minded people, getting constructive criticism (note constructive not destructive!), getting time to reflect on things, seeing how other people work, techniques etc.

What's more important?

What happens if you're DJing regularly and you don't really get a chance to choose where you DJing cos you're playing out to earn a living. Is it still an inspiring experience? Would it be more inspiring if you could be more selective about where you play?

Any thoughts?

eyes without a face
16-09-2004, 09:39 PM
my inspirations are :

my friends
selected techno from the past
selected techno from the present
selected techno from the future ;)

miss bass
16-09-2004, 09:39 PM
Well, i havnt actually seen that many techno djs, therefore, i guess i have been influenced but just the music / production( from shops and net) into the scene.

Which is cool as I am making my own style and not many djs are influencing that.

But making techno, it has to be the producers you admire i guess and are in ore of?

Stella Boy
16-09-2004, 09:48 PM
Getting a good reaction from the crowd when playing out. Dropping that one tune that you love so much and knowing that the people in front of you feel exactly the same way.
I've been lucky in that I've only had a couple of gigs where I haven't enjoyed myself and that was down to illness and not being up for it as much.

dan the acid man
16-09-2004, 09:58 PM
sorry to be so vague, but anything and everything inspires me, i could'nt list everything, i would be here all night

fatcollective
16-09-2004, 10:02 PM
what inspires me...DAVE the Drummer!

waldhaus
16-09-2004, 10:12 PM
certain events or moments inspire me. for example, conversations, or when i am sitting in school in a boring lesson, or when i am driving
of course, records and music in general inspires me, too!
and new production tools can also be inspiring!

dan the acid man
16-09-2004, 10:19 PM
what inspires me...DAVE the Drummer!

h'e up the top of my list aswell

Alan Oldham
16-09-2004, 10:35 PM
Film inspires me a lot. I find myself getting into making lowtempo, film-type music more than 4/4 these days. I would make a whole album of lowtempo music if I figured somebody would actually put it out.

Also, when you play out and somebody's record gets a good reaction, you want to go home and make a track that's similar (even though it always ends up sounding like me in the end).

eyes without a face
16-09-2004, 10:36 PM
Also, when you play out and somebody's record gets a good reaction, you want to go home and make a track that's similar (even though it always ends up sounding like me in the end)

WORD

dirty_bass
17-09-2004, 02:25 AM
Well, to be really pretenciouse, the things that inspire me the most, in this order are.

Literature (I read a lot, and certain authors can put you in a certian mindset)

Non dance music. I tend to listen to anything but techno when I am not producing. My current listening includes Arvo Part, Brian Eno, Ennio Morricone, Toshinoro Kondo, and Der Eisenrost.

Film

and art (abstract expressionist painting more often than not. Both to go see at a gallery or to paint myself to relax and explor).

Rog
18-09-2004, 03:51 AM
good dialouge - and moments that can be described - almost unique personel touches of that just give you a natural glow.

playing what you want is surley better than cattering for an audiance who expect - your you - and thats what they'll get :crackup:

The Overfiend
18-09-2004, 03:57 AM
What inspires me,

God
Love
My friends & The end result.

mek
18-09-2004, 04:19 AM
Nature and parties out in nature

Tribal Techno

Hearing innovative techno (julian liberator, patrik skoog, hydraulix, maximum minimum have been big inspirations)

Patrick DSP
18-09-2004, 05:06 AM
radio drama's from the 1940's and 50's

Dragnet
Harry Lime
johnny dollar
the great gildersleave

all those great classic shows.

Patrick DSP
18-09-2004, 05:08 AM
oh, and the beatles for audio production and clarity of sound and warmth.

and my good friends in the hard techno circle. pauze, summer of sam, dirty bass, fern, johnny funk, mr gorman, and cunty eg.

miasma man
18-09-2004, 10:55 AM
What inspires me,

God
Love
My friends & The end result.

Woah, that's a bit profound! I'm surprised that anyone put that down. I'm not dissing you it's just that nowadays I get the impression that a lot of people really don't want to acknowledge or believe in God. I believe in a God, master designer and creater, cool, I'm not alone.

Respect...

Martin Dust
18-09-2004, 11:52 AM
That sweet spot when one track slides into another to make a third. The smiles on peoples faces. The nod of a DJ. The sounds from another Planet. Anthony Shakir and the famous five from Detroit. DJ Bone. Jeff Mills - just watching his hands make me smile. People who love the scene, from Tipoe going on about banging it out :) to Tony moaning ;) Waking up on a Sunday, hitting the decks and forgetting to DJ - just playing the tunes I love. Bringing people Together. Trust, honesty and integrity. Doing something that isn't expected. Helping others. Not running with the pack. Keep cool when your back is against the wall. Promoters who give it their all. Chris from Hog. The steely look on Surgeons face as he hammers one track into another. The chaos of Regis. Johnny Cash. Kraftwerk. Driving home in complete silence, know that you did your best. The love and understand of my family and friends. Claude Young. Chris McCormack's remix of AK-47. Warp. Black Dog. John Cage. TG. Whitehouse. The Dead Kenndy's. John Lydon. The KLF. Claude Young again. Choose life, choice techno.

Miromiric
18-09-2004, 12:05 PM
my old grandma inspires me with her stories about the second world war. and i feel so secure when i am near her, it has always been like that, since i was a little boy.

zaalmoetlos
18-09-2004, 12:43 PM
the urge to make people go crazy, imagination, filmscores, science fiction, darkness, memory of good nights, memory of great venues, the need to be creative, the need to blow of steam, anger, happiness, nature, water, the smell of autum, industrialisation, ltj bukem, photek, source direct, peshay, pfm, planetary assault system, steve stoll, laurent garnier, richie hawtin, dj slip, surgeon, roots manuva, timberland

anything that makes me tick

Remade
18-09-2004, 03:50 PM
old people diggin through the garbage container are my inspiration. they always seem to find something in there. i call it reinterpretation and reinvention of food.
also some kids who play star trek in front of my window all day long

karlo
18-09-2004, 07:02 PM
horror movies :lol: i realy like deepest scenes from the main parts :cool: thats good for deep hard techno :cool:

Col
19-09-2004, 09:51 PM
well the biggest inspiration for me is music (usually of the electronic variety) & the scene that evolves from it.

add to that, architecture, art in general, hammer horror movies, the weather, and many other natural spectacles/occurances, and that pretty much rounds things up on my part.

i must give a special mention to the wonderful city of leeds too.

MangaFish
19-09-2004, 10:02 PM
drugs :lol: ;)

not really. i find insperation in everything, but usually it comes from when i hear someone do something badly, i wonder if i can pull it off better.

i also love to play about with genres. writing tunes that cross genre boundaries that perhaps shouldnt be crossed. most of the time what i produce and mix is complete garbage. but i have fun doing it

Mindful
20-09-2004, 12:19 AM
war,sadness,anger,freinds,famly,clubbing,art,darks hit,trains,horror movies,music,people,places,sex,filth,disease,death ,street art,poverty,space,the future,the 80's,the 90's,drugs,pain,culture,citys,old rusty shit,new shiny shit,every day situations,the cold dark dindgy dirty depressin flat that i used to live in inthe the middle of a shitty socialy depraved crime ridden tension breeding council estate oh and little cute puppies :love:

MARKEG
20-09-2004, 12:51 AM
Inspiration?

The biggest inspiration for me and Chrissi to get in the studio is hearing one of our records out and thinking OMG I can't believe we made this. It happened this weekend at a party I played in Belgium (an old track we did on Chris McCormack's Embryo label). Needless to say there will now be a studio marathon for the next two weks ;)

I find that simply playing out every weekend is not enough inspiration to get in the studio. These days I'm so knackered until Wednesday. Everything becomes a norm and we feel so uninspired. I think that you need a kick up the ass to get in the studio.

Alan Oldham
20-09-2004, 07:42 AM
I don't know, man, after you play a bangin'-ass party with a wild crowd, the tracks are in your head waiting to get out. There have been times tracks have stayed in my head the whole plane ride home from Europe 'till I got back to the studio.

Then again, I got completely burnt out on production in 2002 and am just now getting back into it so I hear you on being knackered.

gunjack
20-09-2004, 08:23 AM
what is really inspiring for me is writing a bunch of loops in my spare time, then sitting down one day with a spliff and a ton of NEW loops and having no stress or pressure to rush. :rambo:

miss bass
20-09-2004, 09:22 AM
You know who musically inspired me in many wyas while growing up so far.

the SPECIALS.

I can still listen to their album and be like ****ing hell thats is AMAZING!!!

Musically and lyrically!!!!!

They covered every social/political issue you can think of.
Musically, we are talking about collaboration of black and white people making ska/ reggae music, but it is meaningfull music. Each tune has its own x factor and is different in some way, and some of the small riffs/ basses and rhythms they used...... :love: :love: :love: :love:

miss bass
20-09-2004, 09:25 AM
Also,

Erikah Badu is inspiring as a vocalist :shock: :shock: what a beautiful voice .

Queens of the Stonage / Muse also musically/ lyrically :clap:

Klashenkopf as a rapper :shock: :shock: amazing.

Speedy j/ cari lekebusch / fumiya Tanaka/ Inigo Kennedy/ Surgeon also cool producers

I could go on forever

andy james
22-09-2004, 07:38 PM
my inspirations are :

my friends
selected techno from the past
selected techno from the present
selected techno from the future ;)

my sentiments exactly :clap: !

278d7e64a374de26f==