PDA

View Full Version : Crossing genres???

Fake DJ
17-09-2004, 12:21 AM
Personally i think it doesn't matter what genre's you play in a set as long as it sounds good! By sounding good i mean overall in the set and the structure of it as well as the individual track. I don't mid a techno dj dropping a breaks tune or a house tune or any type of tune for that matter as long as it works..

i get so many people listenin do djs comment "you cant play that with that, it sounds shit" etc etc even though it blatently sounds awesome.

jus wanted to know what everyone's opinions are on this?

DJ Corbzy
17-09-2004, 12:46 AM
If it works, **** it.

Boundaries are there to be broken, you'll find that the people who say 'that doesn't work with that', will be the ones dancing like twats to it in a couple of years ;)

Col
17-09-2004, 12:49 AM
"variety is the spice of life"

fatcollective
17-09-2004, 12:54 AM
i reckon there is certain limits as to what you can play with techno..something to break it up a bit ..yeah....something to groove it up a bit ..yeah.... its just whether you have the balls (or imagination...not like me) to drop something not techno in a techno set :?: but if you can pull it off then fair play to the dj :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

dirty_bass
17-09-2004, 02:02 AM
The only rule is there are no rules.

Joseph Isaac
17-09-2004, 07:52 AM

Mos def.

Dabble
17-09-2004, 10:21 AM

Just what I was gonna say. I mean, who writes the rules anyway? You should do whatever you want & if you feel comfortable or happy with your style & music choice when playing out then that's all that matters. If someone else doesnt like it then thats their problem not yours.

disco diva
17-09-2004, 10:32 AM
yep, like everyone else say's if your comfortable doing it & it works well & the crowd enjoy, why not ;)

Frank Dogshit
17-09-2004, 10:34 AM
music is music

if its good

play it

disco diva
17-09-2004, 10:37 AM
music is music

if its good

play it

hahah what even HH?? :lol: ;) *joke*

Frank Dogshit
17-09-2004, 10:38 AM
i said 'if its good' :lol: ;)

fitipaldi
17-09-2004, 10:39 AM
Personally i think it doesn't matter what genre's you play in a set as long as it sounds good! By sounding good i mean overall in the set and the structure of it as well as the individual track. I don't mid a techno dj dropping a breaks tune or a house tune or any type of tune for that matter as long as it works..

i get so many people listenin do djs comment "you cant play that with that, it sounds shit" etc etc even though it blatently sounds awesome.

whether it works or not is down to the individual listeners opinion, i would personally hate to hear a techno dj at a techno night start playing breaks, i don't think they go together at all but thats just me. If I go to a breaks night then vica verca. Techno is so varied that you can quite easily break up the set or change the sound in a beat yet keep within the genre. Electro is the only other genre that I think works really well with techno.

But thats just IMHO ;)

Frank Dogshit
17-09-2004, 10:41 AM

But thats just IMHO ;)

who made you 'chief' of the opinion police?? :lol:

fitipaldi
17-09-2004, 10:47 AM
I did, comply :evil:

doc12inch
17-09-2004, 10:50 AM

true - mr dirty bass knows that my latest mix drops in oldskool breaks and any other stuff i can get my hands on.

im going thru a major classics phase at the mo - i got he farm altogether now on vinyl but im thinking it wont go into any type of techno ive got hehe.

also got my hands on the moby oldy album animal right on vinyl - gonna see what beauties thats holds

gumpy green
17-09-2004, 12:36 PM
mixin shit up adds flava an style...

music should have no restraints...

if you like it and ya think itll moove the crowd go for it.

im well for droppin beasty boys over the bells.....

dirty_bass
17-09-2004, 03:47 PM
I personally think cross dressing should be kept out of techno.

anx
17-09-2004, 04:02 PM
certain breaks go very well with techno.

i find it hard to find breaks that i like cause when ever i listen to breaks i think "what would this sound like with techno?"

there are some very techy breaks that to me is techno only with a broken beat.

i've been throwing in some adam freeland, freq nasty and daren pearce into techno sets lately

doc12inch
17-09-2004, 04:06 PM
daren pearce

Thought ya said dave pearce then. :nono:

anx
17-09-2004, 04:39 PM
i dunno...JDS is what he goes by too...i really have no clue what im talkin about when it comes to breaks lol...i just buy what i like

278d7e64a374de26f==