PDA

View Full Version : What dj trick/skill do you admire the most

gumpy green
17-09-2004, 03:21 PM
and got any good audio examples of it.

some preffer long smooth mixes, other loads of skracthing...

i personally luv it all and like to see a good variation throughout the mix....but i really luv it when someone gets really technical on the tables.

right now my fave tricks are using delay on on record and kutting in samples on the other table.
and
looping vocals on the kp2 and mixin in tracks.

anybody got any cool tricks up ther sleve

anx
17-09-2004, 03:56 PM
when both tracks are in the mix....take one record and pull it back enough to make the beats going inbetween eachother which makes a "double time" effect, the exact same effect as pushing the delay effect with the parameters on 200, only this is the manual way to do it, and you dont get that echoing effect that is on the pioneer 600...

then take the other record and do the same and they back to being beatmatched.

go back and forth so you are juggeling your tracks from double time to straight beat, making little "fills"...when they are like this you can do some cool things when you cut with the cross fader or volume sliders....

took like a year for me to get that down to a science but now i can do it in my sleep....i decided to teach myself that after listening to a cristian varela mix...he does it all the time.

although it is really risky, if you **** it up then you run into a major train wreck

the coolest is if you have 3 decks, make 2 of the tracks go double time and it creates a drum roll effect, do it when the 3rd track is in a break down and kick out the track thats on the half beat right before the main track kicks in.

Miromiric
17-09-2004, 04:00 PM
i totally get down when dj pulls the trick when u choose a card and only usee it but he pulls that very same card from the deck.

gumpy green
17-09-2004, 04:12 PM
when both tracks are in the mix....take one record and pull it back enough to make the beats going inbetween eachother which makes a "double time" effect, the exact same effect as pushing the delay effect with the parameters on 200, only this is the manual way to do it, and you dont get that echoing effect that is on the pioneer 600...

go back and forth so you are juggeling your tracks from double time to straight beat, making little "fills"...when they are like this you can do some cool things when you cut with the cross fader or volume sliders....

took like a year for me to get that down to a science but now i can do it in my sleep....i decided to teach myself that after listening to a cristian varela mix...he does it all the time.

although it is really risky, if you **** it up then you run into a major train wreck

the coolest is if you have 3 decks, make 2 of the tracks go double time and it creates a drum roll effect, do it when the 3rd track is in a break down and kick out the track thats on the half beat right before the main track kicks in.

yeh been messin with that one alot too.....altho i usually dont take the other record and do the same so ther back to being beatmatched.

usually just fuk about with the faders and fx b4 taking the off beat one out.

gumpy green
17-09-2004, 04:18 PM
i totally get down when dj pulls the trick when u choose a card and only usee it but he pulls that very same card from the deck.

thats sum next level shit.

Dabble
17-09-2004, 04:42 PM
when a DJ is desperate for the loo halfway thru a set & legs it to the toilets & then returns to bring in the next track without any faults whatsoever :lol:

dan the acid man
17-09-2004, 04:55 PM
when a DJ is desperate for the loo halfway thru a set & legs it to the toilets & then returns to bring in the next track without any faults whatsoever :lol:

classic :lol:

Rog
17-09-2004, 05:01 PM
turnatbilists - watch scratch - and just admire

disco diva
17-09-2004, 05:45 PM
Definately two tunes in the mix, a bit of scratching is good although I find some go into over kill, but the best tricks IMO are performed by MR EG himself, smashing tunes or emptying ash trays over the head really go down well :lol: :lol: :love:

fitipaldi
17-09-2004, 05:49 PM
Transformin is always good especially dave clarke's

maily
17-09-2004, 06:05 PM
a bit of beat juggling and cutting with two copies of the same record, can sound cool as ****.

heavy beats
17-09-2004, 06:08 PM

Esox Lucius
17-09-2004, 06:09 PM
lots of beat juggling, scratching and shit, not just seamless boring mixes.

Esox Lucius
17-09-2004, 06:10 PM
ben sims
chris finke
dj bone

3 dj's who know how to work the turntables.

The Overfiend
17-09-2004, 06:16 PM
how about good programming, when a set flows from beginning to end in energy

anx
17-09-2004, 06:25 PM
^^ yea when it all comes down to it that is the most important thing

you could be mix master mike with techno but if you cant program a set properly then you really should slow down on the tricks and focus on your crowd more

eyes without a face
17-09-2004, 08:00 PM
yes, some of the best tricks are those people dont even know are taking place, or those that people take for granted

sash
17-09-2004, 09:53 PM
those huge ass buld ups dave clarke does where everythings delaying and shit

MangaFish
17-09-2004, 09:55 PM
yes, some of the best tricks are those people dont even know are taking place, or those that people take for granted

i totally agree with you

gunjack
18-09-2004, 10:58 AM
good music and no train wrecks.

davethedrummer
18-09-2004, 04:11 PM
paradiddles on the faders

left right left left, right left right right

and falling over as a close second

Martin Dust
18-09-2004, 06:38 PM
Talking someone else into driving and as soon as I learn that trick I'll be happy...

dirty_bass
18-09-2004, 06:53 PM
Seeing Julian Liberator proper projectile yacking behind the decks and then holding a shit hot mix down, was dead impressive.
I have to say I impressed myself once at a squat party years ago. A bit of the ceiling fell on my head (quite a big bit) and I managed to hold the mix. did feel a bit dizzy though.

zaalmoetlos
18-09-2004, 08:05 PM
i'm not into tricks realy only if they are done properly and far between some tend to loose it and go over the top this makes me very nervous and gets me out the flow. i much prever a well built set with enouh variaty and good records

dan the acid man
18-09-2004, 08:37 PM
Seeing Julian Liberator proper projectile yacking behind the decks and then holding a shit hot mix down, was dead impressive.
I have to say I impressed myself once at a squat party years ago. A bit of the ceiling fell on my head (quite a big bit) and I managed to hold the mix. did feel a bit dizzy though.

hahahaha!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

MangaFish
19-09-2004, 06:45 PM

hehehe

detfella
19-09-2004, 10:36 PM
moving the xfader with your ass cheeks, cash money style.

S/E
05-10-2004, 09:41 PM
ben sims

He rocks, enough said.

Col
06-10-2004, 01:36 AM

i agree. i think programming is the hardest skill in regards to dj'ing.

good programming is almost non-existent among at least 70% of the techno elite. (in my opinion of course) i think too many people get carrried away with the technical aspect and neglect their programming duties.

tioneb
06-10-2004, 12:36 PM
some evil cuts (motsly with two recods, or three when there are three decks) with fast fader moves. theres a infinity of combinations

the best ive done were when iwas drunk and i have no clue of what i did (on recording) i just bas ehte quality of them on the crowd reaction =)))

dirty_bass
06-10-2004, 01:39 PM
Yeah, programming the set is so important.
I see a lot of kids on the free party scene and technically they are real good, real slick, and real quick.
But I`m not even sure half of em listen to the tunes they are playing.
they just mix em in real quick, and do lots of tricks. No flow, and no real thought if the tune they are playing needs to be mixed over at that point.
It`s seems to be a race to them.

ncw
06-10-2004, 01:46 PM

Sounds a bit like my favourite:

Trainwreck every mix and theatrically spin back every track.

ncw
06-10-2004, 01:47 PM
But I`m not even sure half of em listen to the tunes they are playing..

Thats cos they are all battered on k.

gumpy green
06-10-2004, 02:13 PM
Yeah, programming the set is so important.
I see a lot of kids on the free party scene and technically they are real good, real slick, and real quick.
But I`m not even sure half of em listen to the tunes they are playing.
they just mix em in real quick, and do lots of tricks. No flow, and no real thought if the tune they are playing needs to be mixed over at that point.
It`s seems to be a race to them.

yeh gotta have good flowing set but i still think yav gotta have some unique to yourself tricks in aswell...otherwize you have no style.

a well thoughout set with a good few tricks/skratching thrown in is worth more than a just well thoughout set.

S/E
06-10-2004, 03:21 PM
I think a combination of quality track selection, good programming and some tricks make a good set.

Ritzi Lee
06-10-2004, 04:48 PM
in a 3deck set, when 1 record is playing,
and then throwing in 2 records at the same time. :D

tioneb
06-10-2004, 06:49 PM

Sounds a bit like my favourite:

Trainwreck every mix and theatrically spin back every track.

theres a famous french dj doing that .. he likes to play b"dallas" soundtrack in the middle of cheesy musi set .. hes very famous and appeared in many tv shows ...

this guy does the funniest trcik ive sen scratchign with his dick" ....

professor
06-10-2004, 08:09 PM
it's always nice when the dj is confident enough to look up from the mixer and decks...seems like an obvious one, but I'm always impressed when the dj actually pays attention to the affect he/she has on the place...

MangaFish
06-10-2004, 09:50 PM

i agree. i think programming is the hardest skill in regards to dj'ing.

good programming is almost non-existent among at least 70% of the techno elite. (in my opinion of course) i think too many people get carrried away with the technical aspect and neglect their programming duties.

i totally agree with you :clap:

basslinejunkie
06-10-2004, 09:59 PM
what do you people think about long mixes in techno??

queenbee18
06-10-2004, 10:17 PM
i like it when a fit dj takes his top off and throws it into the crowd. thats never happend but would be cool

Stella Boy
06-10-2004, 10:25 PM

Nowt wrong with long mixes as long as they're done well and the flow isn't hindered in any way. I applaude any DJ that can mix a cart load of trax into a set but still ensure the flow is still there but I do like to hear nice and smooth mixes which are notable to the ear and done well.

basslinejunkie
06-10-2004, 10:50 PM

Nowt wrong with long mixes as long as they're done well and the flow isn't hindered in any way. I applaude any DJ that can mix a cart load of trax into a set but still ensure the flow is still there but I do like to hear nice and smooth mixes which are notable to the ear and done well.

the reason i asked this is because this is a skill i admire alot.techno sounds so much better when its mixed,so i try and only have 1 record playing for as little time as possible,but its pretty hard when youve only got gemini sa 600's :crackup:

come 2 think of it,your darkside vol 2 cd is a perfect example of this stella!!

serox
07-10-2004, 11:17 AM
my fav is when a DJ plays a set and you cannot hear the records coming in or out.

long, smooth tight mixing riding the pitch.

yeswehavetheright
07-10-2004, 12:29 PM
I do like to hear nice and smooth mixes which are notable to the ear

Alright grandad! ;)

Buttman
07-10-2004, 02:15 PM
Hands down the SCROTUM SCRATCH.

gumpy green
07-10-2004, 02:44 PM
na man its all about the "sound" imo, tricks make it look better but id rather see someone bust a 3 click, tear combo without body tricks than see someone go behind ther back, under legs doing a chirp.

as qbert said after winning dmc "No body tricks, just straight sound"....or summin along those lines.

canny beat a good juggle from mr sinister or roc raida (or any beat junkie in fact) whilst busting the body tricks......very good music skills and making it look easy with the body tricks.....

Stella Boy
07-10-2004, 05:43 PM

Alright grandad! ;)

:lol: I do have to turn my hearing aid though.
You'll be old one day chris ;)

Sam_Horam
07-10-2004, 05:57 PM

Alright grandad! ;)

He already is, Tony :lol:

Haven't you seen his Zimmer frame?

Stella Boy
07-10-2004, 06:06 PM

Alright grandad! ;)

Haven't had the chance yet Sam, he's always sat down when I see him :lol:

Mindful
07-10-2004, 08:18 PM
Good set programing,tune selection,tight varied mixing plus good EQ control a bit of beat jugglin with some good effects and tricks(not too much unless your playin pretty minnimal stuff)and i once saw David Copperfeild walk thru the great wall of China that was a great trick,very impressive indeed i mean anybody can do the David Blaine levetating trick but that Copperfeild sh*t be next level :shock:

jonnyspeed
07-10-2004, 09:15 PM

That is such a good post, nan :clap:

yeswehavetheright
08-10-2004, 09:55 AM

Alright grandad! ;)

Haven't had the chance yet Sam, he's always sat down when I see him :lol:

It's funny 'cos it's true!
Actually, I'm not too far behind you Tony - I'm already planning my midlife crisis.

Ritzi Lee
08-10-2004, 11:34 AM
my fav is when a DJ plays a set and you cannot hear the records coming in or out.

long, smooth tight mixing riding the pitch.

agree.
but i also like fast mixing.

so it would be really great when you hear a set that is flowing up and down, smooth,
and with a lot of variation.
but sometimes it's nice to do some wicked cutting style hiphop kinda mixing... it gives a set a more personal characteristic.

djshiva
11-10-2004, 08:02 AM

me and adam jay figured this one out while we were waiting for our ride to see the advent. what's funny is that our ride was late and we decided to stay home and just practice the **** out of this trick with advent records instead of driving for 3 hours...

djshiva
11-10-2004, 08:05 AM

i grew up halfway between detroit and chicago, so i love loooooong smooth mixes with a smattering of trickery in between. CAN'T ****ING STAND QUICK MIXES!!!!!

kindrecordings
11-10-2004, 11:49 PM
i agree that having a nice set composition is great!

I love using a loop sampler during my dj sets....adds lots of possibilities :-p

jake
12-10-2004, 03:04 AM
anyone who can program a good set on 3 decks and not **** up too much is good in my book. one trick isnt much better than the other to me but the more you know the better you become as a whole.

anx
12-10-2004, 07:13 PM

me and adam jay figured this one out while we were waiting for our ride to see the advent. what's funny is that our ride was late and we decided to stay home and just practice the **** out of this trick with advent records instead of driving for 3 hours...

i learned how to do it with locked grooves :)

maily
12-10-2004, 11:59 PM

i learned how to do it with locked grooves :)

it was two copies of the same record for me, easiest way i think.

anx
13-10-2004, 12:20 AM
yea but you get real bored of 2 copies of the same record

locked grooves are all the same speed, and there are tons of them on a locked groove ep...you can mix them for hours if you have time

djshiva
14-10-2004, 05:07 AM
you can mix lock grooves, but the trick of which we are speaking would be damn near impossible with just lock grooves. it requires you to push a triple scratch to set the beats on and off. you need a bit more than a line lock. maybe the thicker, multiple lock grooves would work, but not quite as well as a good loopy track...

anx
14-10-2004, 05:57 AM
i learned how to do it with richie hawtins closer to the edit locked grooves...just a thin 1 line lock

although i havnt mastered the triple scratch, i just pull it back then push it forward and it lands on the offbeat everytime...

djshiva
14-10-2004, 06:34 AM
i learned how to do it with richie hawtins closer to the edit locked grooves...just a thin 1 line lock

although i havnt mastered the triple scratch, i just pull it back then push it forward and it lands on the offbeat everytime...

all i know is i have had people bump the tables and knock the needle outta those teeeeeeny tiiiiny grooves, so i wouldn't wanna try it myself ;)

djshiva
14-10-2004, 06:35 AM
you can mix lock grooves, but the trick of which i am speaking would be damn near impossible with just lock grooves. it requires you to push a triple scratch to set the beats on and off. you need a bit more than a line lock. maybe the thicker, multiple lock grooves would work, but not quite as well as a good loopy track...

djshiva
14-10-2004, 06:36 AM
sorry bout that last post. lack of caffeine caught up with me...

errrrr...

anx
14-10-2004, 04:46 PM

all i know is i have had people bump the tables and knock the needle outta those teeeeeeny tiiiiny grooves, so i wouldn't wanna try it myself ;)

ya it happened alot haha
but i just practiced with 'em, not like i tried it at a gig with those tiny little grooves

278d7e64a374de26f==