PDA

View Full Version : just a quick dj'in question....

sash
17-09-2004, 10:19 PM
If the lights go red on my mixin channels but don't go into the red on the master channel, this wouldn't be doin any damage anywhere would it?

Do most dj's mix with the lights bouncing to 0 on both their mixin channels and the master channel?

cheers

Mucky Beats
17-09-2004, 10:25 PM
goood point dude .... i have my 600 full in the red at some partys with low power rigs.......it still sounds good after over a year of hammering it.... but am i gonna reck it?

StoQ
17-09-2004, 10:42 PM
hmm interesting question, waitin for the expert's opinion...

miss bass
17-09-2004, 10:52 PM
Im not sure if its worse having them red on the channels, rather than the master.

sash
17-09-2004, 11:09 PM
Well u wouldn't wanna overdrive your master cuz you'd overdrive your amp yeah? Wouldn't overdrivin the mixin channel just add a little analogue distortion to your tracks?

DJMAYA
18-09-2004, 12:16 AM
it totally depends what mixer your using really. red on one doesnt mean red on another.
plus mixers like the 600 have that level protector on the back anyway so then again red dont mean red.

sash
18-09-2004, 12:20 AM
im usin the djm 600

fatcollective
18-09-2004, 12:23 AM
Keep the mixer out of the red and turn up the amp ;) that should do the trick!

Mucky Beats
18-09-2004, 01:33 AM
Keep the mixer out of the red and turn up the amp ;) that should do the trick!

thats very true sir.......

but how many partys have you seen the mixers in full red along with the amps?

Mucky Beats
18-09-2004, 01:35 AM
it totally depends what mixer your using really. red on one doesnt mean red on another.
plus mixers like the 600 have that level protector on the back anyway so then again red dont mean red.

is the protector the thing that can be tuned up by a screw type thing on the back?

dirty_bass
18-09-2004, 02:15 AM
as a rule it`s bad practice to run your mixer outs into the red.
Red means stop as I learned in my days as a sound man.
Not only may it damage your mixer but you`ll get a pants sound.
I hate seeing rigs run everything red
Clarity over volume every time for me.

dan the acid man
18-09-2004, 02:18 AM
yes, it's better to run everything just under red, it sounds so much better, spend the extra money on more speakers

fitipaldi
18-09-2004, 02:38 AM
i find my djm600 sounds just as good when in the red as when at 0db.

Rog
18-09-2004, 03:46 AM
i think the point has been lost..

if your running your channels on each track in teh red - no matter how low the master is - your overunning the channel - so you get less clarity or quality - or basically distortion.

so if you keep the channels at a decent crisp sounding level, eg 1st red at peak on the djm600 and run the master out just the same way - you'll have a decent sound, if you want it louder!!!!

turn up your amp - but again don't distort it, then add more amps and speakers to make the overall sound loud - but clear and crisp.

as dirtybass said overun = poor sound - period -

but i can't level that a&h to well eh.. one day!!! :oops:

anx
18-09-2004, 08:12 PM
i find my djm600 sounds just as good when in the red as when at 0db.

maybe on your monitors they do

not on the rig they wont

karlo
18-09-2004, 11:34 PM
Workin only and only on djm600, so it depends of the sound recorded on vinyl, if its quite bad recorded, i gotta put gain, middle and high more, like bass eq, so, im "pumping" it like that to compare level sound with other track (vinyl)....thats the point why is sometimes red meter shaking to zero! ;)

scienceofuse
19-09-2004, 10:45 AM
but how many partys have you seen the mixers in full red along with the amps?

I saw Craig Walsh at K4 in Ljubljana and both the master and the channels playing were both well into the red. Actually the trims were up so high that it was all red, all the time. Not even jumping, but constantly in the red! I left the floor soon afterwards... Certainly not gonna let Craig Walsh **** up my hearing :nono: And his mixing was shite too... :doh:

NooNoo
19-09-2004, 12:18 PM
I'm suprised by the amount of people who consider themselves to be proffesional dj's, who you see running the mixer well into the red.
Its one of the first things you learn surely, that djing isn't just about beatmatching, looking after the sound quallity of your set is a vital part.

Evil G
19-09-2004, 03:20 PM
when you go into the red, you turn round waves into square, and that means you are changing the timbre sounds on the record, not just the volume. if you think you have a better ear than the producer, then go ahead and overdrive the mixer.

if you have a knowledgeable sound guy, he'll be making sure your levels are maxed at the pa. if you are coming out of the dj mixer too hot he can't do anything but turn you down in volume!

this is one of the reasons i don't like those pioneer mixers. they encourage the "4 bars into the red is ok" attitude. new djs - leave the amplifciation to the amplifiers, and keep your mixers in the green!

dirty_bass
19-09-2004, 03:45 PM
The amount of DJ`s I have had to repeatedly slap the wrist of, who run red on the desk is sad. Lot`s of pro`s do it too. They get all egocentric and "turn it up"
The best way I find to deal with that now, is to just run a heavy limit over the signal and tell the DJ`s, "ok very simple, if you run into red the limiter will kick in, and kill the sound, and you will sound shit". If they persist, I just leave em to embarass themselves.
Dj`s that crank eq`s to compensate for volume are annoying too. Minor overall tweaks are ok, but some guys have the bass, mid, and treble all cranked up too, how amateurish?

scienceofuse
19-09-2004, 04:18 PM
Minor overall tweaks are ok, but some guys have the bass, mid, and treble all cranked up too, how amateurish?

Exactly what mr.Walsh was doing... I don't mean to diss him, but I for one thought he had one too many cheekies that night... :lol:

278d7e64a374de26f==