PDA

View Full Version : basic system tweaks for macs

herman
02-04-2003, 05:19 PM
being a relative mac novice im still running mine as it came, anyone know of any basic tweaks to speed it up at all. im running a twin 1ghz power pc g4 with os x

Basil Rush
02-04-2003, 06:11 PM
Just upgraded to OSX and not getting any performance issues at all yet, although I did download a utility from somewhere called shadowkiller which gets rid of the shadows on the windows to save a bit of processor.

You hitting performance problems?

herman
03-04-2003, 05:35 PM
no none as yet just want to intercept 'em before hand if possible

MARKEG
03-04-2003, 06:20 PM
yes i need to know a comprehensive lists of tweaks for audio too. i'm running osx and sx is running too slow to be of any use when i repeat parts. there must be a serious list. anyone?

the best i could find though is this:

Presented by
Randy B. Singer

Version Française | Nederlandse versie | Versión en Castellano
LAST UPDATED 3/24/03

Copyright © 2002, 2003 Randy B. Singer
May not be republished or otherwise disseminated without express written permission.
Permission is hereby given to link to this page.

Table of Contents

Introduction
1. Slow Operation/Repair Permissions/Not Enough RAM Installed
2. Slow Operation Due To HP Drivers
3. Spinning Pizza-Wheel Of Death
4. Force-Trash
5. Display Dead Or Frequent Freezes/Firmware Update
6. Generic Icons/Can't Drag And Drop/Corrupted Preferences
7. Crashes/Stuck Internet Prefs/Cache Problems
8. File Directory Problems/First Aid
9. File Directory Problems/Disk Warrior
10.Kernel Panics/USB Problems/Incompatible Hardware
11.Kernel Panics/Bad RAM
12.Partitions Too Small, Or Too Small Hard Drive, Or Hard Drive Almost Full
13.Built-In Maintenance (Cron) Routines
14.Pre-Binding
15.Printer Driver
16.Printing Problems
17.Scanner Driver
18.Quitting Classic Resolves USB Problems
19.Can't Trash File That Is "Being Used"
20.Classic Causes Printing Conflict When Running
21.Loss Of Network Connection, Or Hang, On Wake From Sleep
22.Applications Suddenly Quitting And/Or Powerbook Not Sleeping
23.Numeric Keypad Not Working
24.Slow Startup
25.Classic Takes A Long Time To Launch
26.Bad OS 9 Font Prevents OS X Startup/Application Crashes/Blue Screen
27.Dial-Up Termination
28.Filesharing Between OS X and OS 9
29.Modem Problems Under 10.2.4
30.OS X 10.2.4 Date and Time Problems
31.Manual Indexing Problems
32.The Installed Updates List Found In The Software Update Preference Pane Is Blank, Even After A Successful Installation
33.Unable To Repair Disk Permissions
34.Can't Index Hard Drive
35.FruitMenu Causes Slow Application Loading

Problems Yet To Be Resolved
1.Screen Resolution And Geometry Settings Lost At Each Startup
2.Error 95/Can't Mount Disk Images

A Solution In Search Of A Problem?

For More Help, Or Information About OS X

I belong to a number of Macintosh discussion lists, and I have heard users give a number of reasons why they are hesitant to move up to OS X. Some folks say that they are worried that if OS X "breaks" that they won't know how to fix it. That the trouble-shooting skills that they gained from years of using earlier versions of the Mac OS are now obsolete. Others have heard that OS X is based on UNIX, and they are worried that they will have to use a command line, and learn a whole new set of difficult-to-learn, and difficult and dangerous to apply, skills to deal with OS X.

This site is designed to address both of those concerns.

Let me explain that there is, unfortunately, a common, silly myth about OS X. This myth says that you have to know UNIX to use OS X, or that you have to learn cryptic codes to troubleshoot OS X and input them at a command line. In just about every case, this is not true. This may have partially been the case when OS X was first released, but software developers have quickly provided very nice utilities that make use of the command line unnecessary in OS X.

OS X (especially Jaguar) is easier to deal with and troubleshoot than OS 7/8/9 was. You don't have to know anything at all about UNIX to deal with OS X. (At times I think that it was a bad idea for Apple to ever mention the term UNIX in their advertising.) I have found that suggesting UNIX solutions and use of the command line to remedy common problems that occur with OS X, frankly, scares the willies out of most Mac users. So I have deliberately avoided suggesting such solutions here unless there are absolutely no alternatives.

Most of the common problems experienced in OS X 10.2 Jaguar are, by now, well-known, as are the methods for dealing with them. Troubleshooting OS 7/8/9, or for that matter, Windows, can, and has, taken up entire books. Troubleshooting OS X Jaguar only takes up this single Web page. That is part of the beauty of OS X!

This site focuses only on OS X 10.2 Jaguar, as it is the most current version of the Macintosh operating system. However, some of the troubleshooting tips offered here also apply to earlier versions of OS X. Several things that were common problems under earlier versions of OS X were either remedied, or became much easier to deal with under OS X 10.2 Jaguar, especially permissions problems and trash problems.

When you encounter a problem when using Jaguar, if it isn't a problem that can immediately be identified as one of the problems listed on this page, there are three things that you should try right off the bat. The first is to restart your Mac with the Shift key held down, invoking Safe Boot mode. This will cause First Aid (also known as fsck, or file system check) to be run (invisibly, but it is being run). (Restart again immediately, in the normal way, after doing this.)

The second thing to try is to run Repair Permissions in the First Aid Panel in Disk Utility (located in your Utilities folder.)

The third is to reset your user preferences. (See Item #6, below.)
If the first two things didn't help, here is something that you can try that is diagnostic to tell you if you have a problem that is being caused by a corrupted user preferences file. Create a new user on your system, log-in as that new user, and see if the problem is gone. If it is gone, then the problem exists only for your main account in OS X. Most likely there is a corrupted preferences file in your User folder. The easy way to deal with this is to use a utility like Dragster to delete your user preference files, which will be rebuilt after a restart. (Don't worry, I go into more detail about all of these procedures. See item #6, below.)

If you are looking for just one utility to do the routine maintenance chores that Jaguar requires, my current favorite is Cocktail, because it includes almost all of the features that you need in one application, it is easy to use with a decent help file, it doesn't drop you into the terminal, and it is FREE.
http://www2.dicom.se/cocktail/

Cocktail can update prebinding, enable or disable journaling, run cron jobs, repair permissions, create symbolic links, change duplex and speed settings of a network card, delete locked or inaccessible items, view log files, delete archived log files, delete caches, force empty trash, customize the look and features of the Finder and/or Dock, and easily optimize your system using Auto Pilot

Please don't take the information on this Web site to mean that users of OS X 10.2 Jaguar experience a lot of problems. They don't. Most folks have no problems with OS X at all. By the same token, please don't go around complaining that OS X is a "bad operating system" because you personally are experiencing problems with it. If you are experiencing any of these problems you should know that these are not normal for OS X, and you should do what is necessary to sort out your system and get things working right. Don't be afraid to troubleshoot OS X just because you aren't used to doing so.

In a worst-case scenario, if you have a problem with your installation of OS X that you are finding too time-consuming to track down, a solution that seems to almost always work really well (but which is a time-consuming pain to do) is to back up your documents and use Disk Utility to reinitialize your hard drive (that is, wipe your disk clean) and then install a fresh copy of OS X from the original Install CD-ROM's (you may have to run Software Update to update to the latest version of OS X at this point), and restore all of your applications and documents. Doing this should give you the rock-stable OS X that most others have enjoyed.

Actually, Jaguar introduces a great alternative to wiping your hard drive clean and then restoring all of your software from a backup. It is called an "archive and install"
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107120
http://www.macworld.com/2002/10/features/install/
and it is a lot easier. An archive and install installs a clean copy of OS X, and disables your old copy of OS X and puts it in a folder (which you can later trash, once you have salvaged anything of value from it.) You just have to know what to trash and what to keep after the installer has done its thing. For that, you may find this article to be invaluable:
Migrate to OS X 10.2 with a Clean Install, By Dan Frakes
http://www.macworld.com/2002/10/features/install/

Apple provides this document on How to Reinstall an Older Mac OS X Version.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25404

When looking through the list of potential problems, below, keep in mind that the problem that you are experiencing may be caused by more than one thing. So, if the obvious solution among those listed below does not work, it is often worthwhile to try some of the others.

I hope that you find this page helpful!

Slow Operation/Repair Permissions/Not Enough RAM Installed

There are several things that can cause OS X to run sluggishly, and some users suffer from several of the causes simultaneously. This has led to the perception that OS X is much slower than OS 9. It isn't. If OS X is slow on your Macintosh, even an older G3-based Mac, your setup needs to be sorted out to remedy this situation.

There is no getting around the fact that OS X needs more RAM than OS 9 did to run well. The 256MB of RAM that comes with (or came with) most Macs is a marginal amount for OS X. RAM is cheap now, compared to a few years ago. Take advantage of the low prices and add more to your Mac. If you can afford it, add a lot more. OS X will make good use of all of the RAM that you make available to it. And make sure that the RAM that you purchase is guaranteed to meet Apple's specifications! (See Item #11, below.) RAM prices vary daily, and everyone has their favorite place to purchase RAM. You can find the best current price on RAM for your Macintosh here:

RamSeeker
http://www.ramseeker.com/
tracks the prices for RAM from 42 retailers, with links to each retailer.

RamWatch
http://www.macresource.com/mrp/ramwatch.shtml

DealRAM
http://www.dealram.com/

If your Mac is running slowly despite having sufficient RAM (especially if you have just updated your operating system), or if you get error reports that you don't have permission to do things like move or trash files, you need to run Repair Permissions in Disk Utility. In fact, if you have never run Repair Permissions, do it. And if you have run it previously, do it again. (For some reason some permissions tend to revert.)

A way to fix the permissions of an individual file is to do a Get Info (Command-I) on the file or application in question and change its owner to yourself. But I digress.
http://www.ramostech.com/permissions.html

Permissions problems sometimes come about when you download OS X software while booted into OS 9. When you do this the ownership tag isn't set.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106712

Disk Utility is on your Mac OS X Installer CD-ROM, but the preferred way to run Repair Permissions is from your hard drive. Just go to your Utilities folder, open Disk Utility and on the left side of the resulting window, select the hard drive that you want to repair. Click on the First Aid tab. Then click on the Repair Disk Permissions button.

You should run Repair Permissions from your hard drive, rather than from your Install CD-ROM, because the file permission profiles are frequently updated by Apple updaters. (e.g. the 10.2.3 update.) When running Repair Permissions from the CD-ROM the permissions fenders, but I can tell you that VirusBarrier from Intego doesn't seem to create a problem on my machine. I have heard reports that Norton Anti-Virus could be a significant problem.)
- many Norton products
- HP printer drivers (fixed for some, but not all, under 10.2.3)
- Lexmark X83 Monitor or Lexmark X73 Monitor (background applications installed by the Lexmark printer/scanner driver)

Here are some other things that run in the background that you can deal with.

Turn off network ports that aren't being used:

- In System Preferences open the Network pane
- Go into the "Show" drop down menu.
- Choose "Network Ports Configuraion"
- De-select all ports that you are not using.
(e.g.internal modem, IR Port, Ethernet, or Airport card)

Prevent indexing:

Like OS 9, OS X automatically indexes files on your hard drive so that you can do very fast searches for information within these files. Your Mac updates this index as needed. Even if you are working on other things.
http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n106978

If you select a file or a folder while in the Finder, and choose Get Info from the File menu, you can manually index a file in the Content Index drop down in the Get Info window, or you can delete this file's or folder's index*s fixed, and how. Repair Shop ihttp://www.terraform.com/software/

Update: I'm told that there is now a fix to this HP driver problem, involving the IOUSBFamily.kext file. The trick is to replace your existing version of this file with the version that came with OS X 10.2.1. This version can be downloaded from Apple (only via direct FTP, as far as I know) from:
ftp://ftp.apple.com/developer/Development_Kits/Mac_OS_USB/IOUSBFamily-1.9.2DDK.dmg.bin

More Recent Update: Users with this problem report that the OS X 10.2.3 update cured the problem. Hurray! Unless I hear that users are still experiencing this problem, I will soon be removing this problem from the page.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107263

Update 1/19/03: I'm told that 10.2.3 didn't solve the HP driver problem for all HP printer users, and that the software associated with HP Scanjets still causes a Spinning Pizza-Wheel problem.

After installing the Hewlett Packard ScanJet 3.0.1. Update the Classic environment of Mac OS X may refuse to start.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107412

Spinning Pizza-Wheel Of Death

A rare but vexing problem is what has been called by some the "Spinning Pizza-Wheel Of Death." When you have this problem, whenever you go to do something d for the HP driver problem.
http://www.terraform.com/software/

Update: I'm told that there is now a fix to this HP driver problem, involving the IOUSBFamily.kext file. The trick is to replace your existing version of this file with the version that came with OS X 10.2.1. This version can be downloaded from Apple (only via direct FTP, as far as I know) from:
ftp://ftp.apple.com/developer/Development_Kits/Mac_OS_USB/IOUSBFamily-1.9.2DDK.dmg.bin

More Recent Update: Users with this problem report that the OS X 10.2.3 update cured the problem. Hurray! Unless I hear that users are still experiencing this problem, I will soon be removing this problem from the page.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107263

Update 1/19/03: I'm told that 10.2.3 didn't solve the HP driver problem for all HP printer users, and that the software associated with HP Scanjets still causes a Spinning Pizza-Wheel problem.

After installing the Hewlett Packard ScanJet 3.0.1. Update the Classic environment of Mac OS X may refuse to start.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107412

Spinning Pizza-Wheel Of Death

A rare but vexing problem is what has been called by some the "Spinning Pizza-Wheel Of Death." When you have this problem, whenever you go to do something in OS X, the spinning rainbow cufenders, but I can tell you that VirusBarrier from Intego doesn't seem to create a problem on my machine. I have heard reports that Norton Anti-Virus could be a significant problem.)
- many Norton products
- Lexmark X83 Monitor or Lexmark X73 Monitor (background applications installed by the Lexmark printer/scanner driver)

Prevent indexing:

Like OS 9, OS X automatically indexes files on your hard drive so that you can do very fast searches for information within these files. Your Mac updates this index as needed. Even if you are working on other things.

If you select a file or a folder while in the Finder, and choose Get Info from the File menu, you can manually index a file in the Content Index drop down in the Get Info window, or you can delete this file's or folder's index%2ts on a system that these productsfenders, but I can tell you that VirusBarrier from Intego doesn't seem to create a problem on my machine. I have heard reports that Norton Anti-Virus could be a significant problem.)
- many Norton products

Prevent indexing:

If you select a file or a folder while in the Finder, and choose Get Info from the File menu, you can manually index a file in the Content Index drop down in the Get Info window, or you can delete this file's or folder's index%2, that works only in Classic. Fofenders, but I can tell you that VirusBarrier from Intego doesn't seem to create a problem on my machine. I have heard reports that Norton Anti-Virus could be a significant problem.)
- many Norton products

Prevent indexing:

If you select a file or a folder while in the Finder, and choose Get Info from the File menu, you can manually index a file in the Content Index drop down in the Get Info window, or you can delete this file's or folder's index%2ing a utility that deletes your prfenders, but I can tell you that VirusBarrier from Intego doesn't seem to create a problem on my machine. I have heard reports that Norton Anti-Virus could be a significant problem.)
- many Norton products

Prevent indexing:

If you select a file or a folder while in the Finder, and choose Get Info from the File menu, you can manually index a file in the Content Index drop down in the Get Info window, or you can delete this file's or folder's index%2to tell you which are the worst offenders, but I can tell you that VirusBarrier from Intego doesn't seem to create a problem on my machine. I have heard reports that Norton Anti-Virus could be a significant problem.)
- many Norton products

Prevent indexing:

If you select a file or a folder while in the Finder, and choose Get Info from the File menu, you can manually index a file in the Content Index drop down in the Get Info window, or you can delete this file's or folder's index, but you can't turn indexing off here. The ability to do this is somewhat hidden.

To turn off indexing, while in the Finder, in the Finder menu select Preferences. Now de-select *all* of the languages listed, even the one that you use. The effect of turning off all of the languages for indexing is that no idexing will take place at all.

An alternate way to prevent hard drive indexing is presented here:
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20021024063705938
This tip suggests modifying a file called SkipFolders.

Of course, having your files indexed so that you can do very fast searches is a really nice feature, so you should go back and re-select your language in the evening when you are done using your Mac for the day. Leave your Mac running all night, and it will update the indexes that it creates overnight. You can also manually update the index for a particular file or folder from its Get Info window as you are working, if you need to.

Update 3/16/03: I'm told that Setting Classic to never sleep in the Energy Saver control panel can eliminate a spinning pizza-wheel of death problem for some folks.

Force-Trash

If #1 above does not work when trying to trash items in the trashcan, you can force the trash to trash using TrashIt!:
http://www.nonamescriptware.com/

Also note that Jaguar now supports holding down the Option key when emptying the trash to force-trash a locked file (as opposed to a file for which the permissions are improperly set), just like OS 9 did.

You can change a file's permissions, so that you have privileges to trash it, using X-RAY or Modifier. See item #19 , below.

BatChmod both forces the emptying of the trash and allows you to change file permissions. (Though it may be a little too advanced a utility for some users to feel comfortable using.)
http://macchampion.com/arbysoft/

If all else fails, you can drag the unwanted files out of the trash and into a folder in the root window of your hard drive (so that it is easy to find while booted in OS 9), re-start in OS 9, and then trash the folder in OS 9.

Also see Item #19, below.

Display Dead Or Frequent Freezes/Firmware Update

If your iMac's display is dead after the installation of OS X, you neglected to run the relevant firmware update first. See:
http://db.tidbits.com/getbits.acgi?tbart=06973

Apparently the firmware update is also the key to a freeze-up problem with some models of Mac.
http://discusssearch.info.apple.com/WebX?128@190.ooW0aAIQfQI.4@.3bba5c08
http://cooped-up.blogspot.com/2002_11_03_cooped-up_archive.html

There is a documented waking-from-sleep backup, completely erase, and restore their data a few times to tinker with their setup.

Why is partitioning a bad idea? Because OS X likes to grab a significant amount of free hard drive space for caches, virtual memory, scratch space, etc. OS 9 (Classic) likes to do this to some extent also. And not only do they like free space, but they like contiguous free space. (That is, the free space must be in one unbroken chunk, not strewn about in pieces on your drive.) If you install OS 9 or OS X on too small a partition, or if your hard drive is just too small, there may not be enough contiguous free space available to the Mac OS for it to run well. Or, if your hard drive is simply too small, it may not be possible to create a partition for the OS that is big enough.

Installing OS 9 and OS X on an unpartitioned drive gives both OS's the maximum available amount of free contiguous space to work with that you can give them. You may want to consider backing up your documents and applications and reformatting your hard drive with no partitions and reinstalling everything onto the drive. Yes, there are some minor advantages that you give up if your drive isn't partitioned (the biggest one being the ability to do some maintenance and disk recovery on one partition while booted from another) but gaining system reliability is more import9 and OmniWeb that lurk in the / backup, completely erase, and restore their data a few times to tinker with their setup.

Why is partitioning a bad idea? Because OS X likes to grab a significant amount of free hard drive space for caches, virtual memory, scratch space, etc. OS 9 (Classic) likes to do this to some extent also. And not only do they like free space, but they like contiguous free space. (That is, the free space must be in one unbroken chunk, not strewn about in pieces on your drive.) If you install OS 9 or OS X on too small a partition, or if your hard drive is just too small, there may not be enough contiguous free space available to the Mac OS for it to run well. Or, if your hard drive is simply too small, it may not be possible to create a partition for the OS that is big enough.

Installing OS 9 and OS X on an unpartitioned drive gives both OS's the maximum available amount of free contiguous space to work with that you can give them. You may want to consider backing up your documents and applications and reformatting your hard drive with no partitions and reinstalling everything onto the drive. Yes, there are some minor advantages that you give up if your drive isn't partitioned (the biggest one being the ability to do some maintenance and disk recovery on one partition while booted from another) but gaining system reliability is more importlems experienced in OS X. A quick way to tell if that is what is causing your problems is to create a new user.

Here's How:

1. In the Apple Menu select System Preferences.
2. Click on the Show All icon to ensure all preferences are visible.
3. Single-click on the Accounts icon.
4. Click on the New User button.
5. Enter the new User's name, short name, password and password hint (optional). Check "Allow user to administer this machine".
6. Click on the Ok button.
7. Quit the System Preferences application by selecting Quit System Prefs in the System Prefs menu .

Note that you need administrative privileges to create a new user. If you are logged in with a nonadministrative account, first click the lock icon at the bottom of the window and enter an administrator name and password to make changes.

After you create a new user, log out (under the Apple menu), and then back in as the new user. If the problem(s) you were experiencing are now gone, it is a safe bet that something in your User folder is causing the problem. Most likely it is the preferences file for the application that is having the problems. Preferences files have the suffix ".plist". Try re-starting with OS 9 set as your startup disk, and drag the preference file for the problematic application to the desktop and then restart again with OS X set as the startup disk. A new, fresh copy backup, completely erase, and restore their data a few times to tinker with their setup.

Installing OS 9 and OS X on an unpartitioned drive gives both OS's the maximum available amount of free contiguous space to work with that you can give them. You may want to consider backing up your documents and applications and reformatting your hard drive with no partitions and reinstalling everything onto the drive. Yes, there are some minor advantages that you give up if your drive isn't partitioned (the biggest one being the ability to do some maintenance and disk recovery on one partition while booted from another) but gaining system reliability is more importy/First Aid while booted from th backup, completely erase, and restore their data a few times to tinker with their setup.

Installing OS 9 and OS X on an unpartitioned drive gives both OS's the maximum available amount of free contiguous space to work with that you can give them. You may want to consider backing up your documents and applications and reformatting your hard drive with no partitions and reinstalling everything onto the drive. Yes, there are some minor advantages that you give up if your drive isn't partitioned (the biggest one being the ability to do some maintenance and disk recovery on one partition while booted from another) but gaining system reliability is more importst Aid on your OS X Installer CD-R backup, completely erase, and restore their data a few times to tinker with their setup.

Installing OS 9 and OS X on an unpartitioned drive gives both OS's the maximum available amount of free contiguous space to work with that you can give them. You may want to consider backing up your documents and applications and reformatting your hard drive with no partitions and reinstalling everything onto the drive. Yes, there are some minor advantages that you give up if your drive isn't partitioned (the biggest one being the ability to do some maintenance and disk recovery on one partition while booted from another) but gaining system reliability is more import your that you need to restart you backup, completely erase, and restore their data a few times to tinker with their setup.

Installing OS 9 and OS X on an unpartitioned drive gives both OS's the maximum available amount of free contiguous space to work with that you can give them. You may want to consider backing up your documents and applications and reformatting your hard drive with no partitions and reinstalling everything onto the drive. Yes, there are some minor advantages that you give up if your drive isn't partitioned (the biggest one being the ability to do some maintenance and disk recovery on one partition while booted from another) but gaining system reliability is more import for OS X users.

If you backup, completely erase, and restore their data a few times to tinker with their setup.

Installing OS 9 and OS X on an unpartitioned drive gives both OS's the maximum available amount of free contiguous space to work with that you can give them. You may want to consider backing up your documents and applications and reformatting your hard drive with no partitions and reinstalling everything onto the drive. Yes, there are some minor advantages that you give up if your drive isn't partitioned (the biggest one being the ability to do some maintenance and disk recovery on one partition while booted from another) but gaining system reliability is more import
RAMCheck 2.1 is a very old u backup, completely erase, and restore their data a few times to tinker with their setup.

Installing OS 9 and OS X on an unpartitioned drive gives both OS's the maximum available amount of free contiguous space to work with that you can give them. You may want to consider backing up your documents and applications and reformatting your hard drive with no partitions and reinstalling everything onto the drive. Yes, there are some minor advantages that you give up if your drive isn't partitioned (the biggest one being the ability to do some maintenance and disk recovery on one partition while booted from another) but gaining system reliability is more importwhy, and if they are prepared to backup, completely erase, and restore their data a few times to tinker with their setup.

Installing OS 9 and OS X on an unpartitioned drive gives both OS's the maximum available amount of free contiguous space to work with that you can give them. You may want to consider backing up your documents and applications and reformatting your hard drive with no partitions and reinstalling everything onto the drive. Yes, there are some minor advantages that you give up if your drive isn't partitioned (the biggest one being the ability to do some maintenance and disk recovery on one partition while booted from another) but gaining system reliability is more important that these things, at least adding your printer as an LPR printer (Line Printer Queue). If you hold down the option key when selecting 'Add Printer' in Print Center, you can access some Advanced options, which allow you to set up LPD/LPR printing and a few other options. You add your printer to Print Center by entering its IP address, and selecting the proper PPD (PostScript Printer Description) file.
http://web.mit.edu/is/help/macos/macos10.1/OSXprint/lpr10.1.5.html
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=24512
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106707
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106709

This document provides links to Print Center troubleshooting documents.
http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n25385

Scanner Driver

The Image Capture Architecture (ICA) in Mac OS X 10.2 includes support for a broad range of USB and FireWire flatbed and film scanners. This page gives a list of scanners which are known to be compatible with OS X 10.2.
http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/scanners.html

If OS X 10.2 Jaguar does not include a driver for your scanner, try Vue-Scan.
http://www.hamrick.com/

Another choice is Silverfast AI
http://www.silverfast.com/

Quitting ClassiA
Ironically, for now, th adding your printer as an LPR printer (Line Printer Queue). If you hold down the option key when selecting 'Add Printer' in Print Center, you can access some Advanced options, which allow you to set up LPD/LPR printing and a few other options. You add your printer to Print Center by entering its IP address, and selecting the proper PPD (PostScript Printer Description) file.

Scanner Driver

The Image Capture Architecture (ICA) in Mac OS X 10.2 includes support for a broad range of USB and FireWire flatbed and film scanners. This page gives a list of scanners which are known to be compatible with OS X 10.2.

Quitting Classi27t recommend Norton Utilities bec adding your printer as an LPR printer (Line Printer Queue). If you hold down the option key when selecting 'Add Printer' in Print Center, you can access some Advanced options, which allow you to set up LPD/LPR printing and a few other options. You add your printer to Print Center by entering its IP address, and selecting the proper PPD (PostScript Printer Description) file.

Scanner Driver

Quitting Classi your hard drive from filling up w adding your printer as an LPR printer (Line Printer Queue). If you hold down the option key when selecting 'Add Printer' in Print Center, you can access some Advanced options, which allow you to set up LPD/LPR printing and a few other options. You add your printer to Print Center by entering its IP address, and selecting the proper PPD (PostScript Printer Description) file.

Scanner Driver

Quitting Classi0Ahttp://homepage.mac.com/ adding your printer as an LPR printer (Line Printer Queue). If you hold down the option key when selecting 'Add Printer' in Print Center, you can access some Advanced options, which allow you to set up LPD/LPR printing and a few other options. You add your printer to Print Center by entering its IP address, and selecting the proper PPD (PostScript Printer Description) file.

Scanner Driver

Quitting Classistore CD-ROM's after OSX 10.2 ha adding your printer as an LPR printer (Line Printer Queue). If you hold down the option key when selecting 'Add Printer' in Print Center, you can access some Advanced options, which allow you to set up LPD/LPR printing and a few other options. You add your printer to Print Center by entering its IP address, and selecting the proper PPD (PostScript Printer Description) file.

Scanner Driver

Quitting Classialk printer, you may want to try adding your printer as an LPR printer (Line Printer Queue). If you hold down the option key when selecting 'Add Printer' in Print Center, you can access some Advanced options, which allow you to set up LPD/LPR printing and a few other options. You add your printer to Print Center by entering its IP address, and selecting the proper PPD (PostScript Printer Description) file.

Scanner Driver

Quitting Classic Resolves USB Problems

rs.

Applications Suddenly Quitting And/Or Powerbook Not Sleeping

I've heard from at least a half dozen folks who have told me that they have one or more applications that suddenly quit almost immediately when they launch them. I believe that we have found the solution for this problem. In every case, if the user creates a new user on the system (see item #17, above) and logs in as that new user, the problem goes away. This points to the problem being a corrupted preferences file. Indications are that the culprit is the user file: " .GlobalPreferences.plist" which is located at:

Users/[User Name]/Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences.plist
Don't get this file confused with the file of the exact same name located at:
/Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences.plist

If you are experiencing this problem, download the latest version of Dragster. (See item #6, above.) The developer of Dragster was kind enough to include the ability to delete the user GlobalPreferences file at my request.

Here is the complex way to fix this problem that I'm afraid is beyond the abilities of most users. Fortunately, using Dragster should work as well, without the need to use the Terminal.
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?s=2bae99213bcd04b82868fc3436206099& threadould be able to trash it.

ers.

I've heard from at least a half dozen folks who have told me that they have one or more applications that suddenly quit almost immediately when they launch them. I believe that we have found the solution for this problem. In every case, if the user creates a new user on the system (see item #17, above) and logs in as that new user, the problem goes away. This points to the problem being a corrupted preferences file. Indications are that the culprit is the user file: " .GlobalPreferences.plist" which is located at:

If you are experiencing this problem, download the latest version of Dragster. (See item #6, above.) The developer of Dragster was kind enough to include the ability to delete the user GlobalPreferences file at my request.

Here is the complex way to fix this problem that I'm afraid is beyond the abilities of most users. Fortunately, using Dragster should work as well, without the need to use the Terminal.
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?s=2bae99213bcd04b82868fc3436206099& threadnt solutions work for different users.

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?s=2bae99213bcd04b82868fc3436206099& threadid=128154

Numerrmissions" and "Repair Disk Permissions" buttons in Disk Utility, particularly after updating to Mac OS X 10.2.4. This is caused by the absence of necessary package files in the /Library/Receipts folder.

In most case users with this problem have deleted "receipt" (.pkg) files from this folder thinking they were unnecessary files. These files are where the information is stored that Disk Utility needs to repair permissions.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106900

To fix this problem, insert the Jaguar (OS X 10.2) Install Disc 1 and double-click on the CD icon to open its root directory. Open the /System/Installation/Packages folder and copy the following files to your /Library/Receipts folder. This will allow Disk Utility's "Repair Disk Permissions" to function again.

BaseSystem.pkg
AdditionalApplications.pkg
AdditionalFonts.pkg (if installed)
any applicable packages which end in "PrinterDrivers.pkg"
and
any applicable language packages.

Alternatively, you could copy these files from another computer running Mac OS X 10.2.x or from a backup of OS X 10.2.x.

http://www.macintouch.com/mosxreader10.2pt55.html#mar19

Can't Index Hard Drive

Some folks have found that they have been unable to manuallyave Use Network Time Server checkermissions" and "Repair Disk Permissions" buttons in Disk Utility, particularly after updating to Mac OS X 10.2.4. This is caused by the absence of necessary package files in the /Library/Receipts folder.

In most case users with this problem have deleted "receipt" (.pkg) files from this folder thinking they were unnecessary files. These files are where the information is stored that Disk Utility needs to repair permissions.

To fix this problem, insert the Jaguar (OS X 10.2) Install Disc 1 and double-click on the CD icon to open its root directory. Open the /System/Installation/Packages folder and copy the following files to your /Library/Receipts folder. This will allow Disk Utility's "Repair Disk Permissions" to function again.

BaseSystem.pkg
and

Alternatively, you could copy these files from another computer running Mac OS X 10.2.x or from a backup of OS X 10.2.x.

Can't Index Hard Drive

Some folks have found that they have been unable to manuallyal.

Now look in the Serrmissions" and "Repair Disk Permissions" buttons in Disk Utility, particularly after updating to Mac OS X 10.2.4. This is caused by the absence of necessary package files in the /Library/Receipts folder.

BaseSystem.pkg
and

Can't Index Hard Drive

Some folks have found that they have been unable to manuallyrevent OS X startup from completinrmissions" and "Repair Disk Permissions" buttons in Disk Utility, particularly after updating to Mac OS X 10.2.4. This is caused by the absence of necessary package files in the /Library/Receipts folder.

BaseSystem.pkg
and

Can't Index Hard Drive

Some folks have found that they have been unable to manually dialup connections (that is, rmissions" and "Repair Disk Permissions" buttons in Disk Utility, particularly after updating to Mac OS X 10.2.4. This is caused by the absence of necessary package files in the /Library/Receipts folder.

BaseSystem.pkg
and

Can't Index Hard Drive

Some folks have found that they have been unable to manuallye updated to OS X 10.2.4.

rmissions" and "Repair Disk Permissions" buttons in Disk Utility, particularly after updating to Mac OS X 10.2.4. This is caused by the absence of necessary package files in the /Library/Receipts folder.

BaseSystem.pkg
and

Can't Index Hard Drive

Some folks have found that they have been unable to manually3A//discussions.info.apple.comrmissions" and "Repair Disk Permissions" buttons in Disk Utility, particularly after updating to Mac OS X 10.2.4. This is caused by the absence of necessary package files in the /Library/Receipts folder.

BaseSystem.pkg
and

Can't Index Hard Drive

Some folks have found that they have been unable to manuallyl processor Macs, have upgraded rmissions" and "Repair Disk Permissions" buttons in Disk Utility, particularly after updating to Mac OS X 10.2.4. This is caused by the absence of necessary package files in the /Library/Receipts folder.

BaseSystem.pkg
and

Can't Index Hard Drive

Some folks have found that they have been unable to manually does not work for some folks.
%rmissions" and "Repair Disk Permissions" buttons in Disk Utility, particularly after updating to Mac OS X 10.2.4. This is caused by the absence of necessary package files in the /Library/Receipts folder.

BaseSystem.pkg
and

Can't Index Hard Drive

Some folks have found that they have been unable to manuallyperienced dimmed "Verify Disk Permissions" and "Repair Disk Permissions" buttons in Disk Utility, particularly after updating to Mac OS X 10.2.4. This is caused by the absence of necessary package files in the /Library/Receipts folder.

BaseSystem.pkg
and

Can't Index Hard Drive

Some folks have found that they have been unable to manually index their hard drive (which aroup http://www.macattorney.com/ , with, at this writing, over 3,700 members;

A co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th and 6th editions);

Author of the ABA publication: The Macintosh Software Guide for the Law Office http://www.abanet.org/lpm/catalog/511-0431.html

If you are a Macintosh-using attorney or legal professional, for a FREE subscription to The MacAttorney Newsletter, send eMail to: randy@macattorney.com, with the word "subscribe" in the Subject line of the message.

herman
03-04-2003, 08:11 PM
seems to be loads of usefull info on this site handy forums as well

http://www.macmusic.org

278d7e64a374de26f==