PDA

View Full Version : OMG I AM SOOOOOO SCREWED!!!

tekara
20-09-2004, 06:16 PM
ohhh my god ohh my god ohh my god i am having a serious panic attack right now.
I am in the proccess of writing a personal album and i have written already 8 tracks for it. Everything was stored in one of my folders called "MY TRACKS" and somehow my brother accidentally moved it to another windows folder where i then tried to access it.

First it wouldnt let me because windows told me "access is denied: you do not have permission". After logging on to various Windows XP sites i finally solved it by giving myself access to the folder through my administrator account.

NOW after i have done all this work i have tried to open up one of the folders for one of the tracks and Cubase tells me that it "cannot open project file <project name>". I have even tried opening .wav loops that i bounced from midi to audio also inside that folder and even windows media player tells me that it cannot access that file.

I am soooooooooo screwed if this thing doesnt work. Can someone please give me a helping hand????

dear God, please help me! (or anyone on this board for that matter!)

cheers

Evil G
20-09-2004, 06:58 PM
first thing i would try is recreating the original folder and dragging the files back to there.

detfella
20-09-2004, 07:27 PM
and make a backup of the files you've just found

eyes without a face
20-09-2004, 09:06 PM
this is not good, ive had happen to me as has every artist i know!

hope u get em back dude

MangaFish
20-09-2004, 09:19 PM
I am in the proccess of writing a personal album and i have written already 8 tracks for it. Everything was stored in one of my folders called "MY TRACKS" and somehow my brother accidentally moved it to another windows folder where i then tried to access it.

First it wouldnt let me because windows told me "access is denied: you do not have permission". After logging on to various Windows XP sites i finally solved it by giving myself access to the folder through my administrator account.

NOW after i have done all this work i have tried to open up one of the folders for one of the tracks and Cubase tells me that it "cannot open project file <project name>". I have even tried opening .wav loops that i bounced from midi to audio also inside that folder and even windows media player tells me that it cannot access that file.

I am soooooooooo screwed if this thing doesnt work. Can someone please give me a helping hand????

cheers

it sounds like all your files are given access permissions to the administrator only.

if this is the case, go into the admin account (like you did when you went to open the folder) and set FULL permissions to the files and folder to ALL users (except your brother if he logs in under a different username ;) )

Moggy
20-09-2004, 10:10 PM
Firsly, slap your brother.
Secondly, maybe try what mangafish said.
Can't be much more help im afraid, im a bit stuck when it comes down to techy things, but really hope you get your tunes back!!

schlongfingers
20-09-2004, 10:45 PM
I would consider starting up your computer in safe mode, opening up the file and resaving with an alternative name. Not entirely logical but I suspect it may circumnavigate the permissions problem - I think anything is worth a try in this instance!

tekara
21-09-2004, 02:53 PM
first thing i would try is recreating the original folder and dragging the files back to there.

I tried that this morning and i get the access is denied error!!!!

thanks for the reply anyways.

:)

tekara
21-09-2004, 02:56 PM

cheers

it sounds like all your files are given access permissions to the administrator only.

if this is the case, go into the admin account (like you did when you went to open the folder) and set FULL permissions to the files and folder to ALL users (except your brother if he logs in under a different username ;) )

thanks manga, i have exhausted all options. I have already tried several methods of recreating the folders, dragging and dropping, burning the backup onto a CDR and bringing the files back in. In the end, i still get the "Access is Denied" error.

I agree 100% with ur suspicisions that it is a permissions problem. I logged back in as a administrator and still i cannot access any of the files.

On a brighter note, the fact that i cannot access ALL the files in the folders and not just the cubase ones gives me a bit of a relief that it may still be retrievable because it is a windows error. If it was truly a corrupt cubase file i would be royally screwed.

thanks for the suggestions in advance tho :roll:

xfive
21-09-2004, 04:30 PM
Try grabbing this and burning it onto a CD:

http://www.suse.com/us/private/download/ftp/live_eval_int.html

It runs completely by booting off the cd and does not need to be installed. Once you've got it up and running it should be able to access your NTFS or FAT32 filesystems that windows uses, easily. Then simply burn a copy of your audio/project files from within Linux.. or try copying them to a server over the network, and then pulling them down in windows later..

There are some ideas for you to try but the basic thing you want to do at this point is eliminate windows from the equation ;)

-Chris

schlongfingers
21-09-2004, 04:59 PM
did you give my suggestion a go? May well work for ya.

MangaFish
21-09-2004, 09:47 PM

cheers

thanks manga, i have exhausted all options. I have already tried several methods of recreating the folders, dragging and dropping, burning the backup onto a CDR and bringing the files back in. In the end, i still get the "Access is Denied" error.

I agree 100% with ur suspicisions that it is a permissions problem. I logged back in as a administrator and still i cannot access any of the files.

did you try changing the ownership of the file? (done in the [advance] settings in the permission dialog)

i find if the permissions are totally screwed sometimes you have to change the ownership to be able to get the permissions restored

failing that, xfives idea of using a bootable linux/beos CD was a good one (as long as you can find your way around linux/beos :doh: )

did you try schlongfingers idea btw?

tekara
22-09-2004, 10:06 AM
did you give my suggestion a go? May well work for ya.

not yet, but will try it tonight!

thanks for the response :)

Kevin Gorman
22-09-2004, 05:46 PM
ouch!, i hope you get back your data all in once piece. why did your brother do that?

yorkie
24-09-2004, 09:39 AM
keep us informed on this...

i wanna know the outcome ;)

Basil Rush
24-09-2004, 04:33 PM
backups - do it next time you know it makes sense. good luck fixing it!

tekara
25-09-2004, 06:45 AM
thanks for all the information guys!

i eventually got it all sorted out. Whoever was the one that suggested it was an authorization is dead on. After making millions of setting changes i finally got access to open the folder.

For some reason my computer has crashed on me many times after making these setting changes and i will probably have to format and reinstall windows from scratch but at least i have backed up the project folder on a CD and im willing to spend the day reinstalling all my programs!

I feel 1000 pounds of bricks have been lifted off my back now!

thanks for all the helpful responses, and to the curious ones, yes i did shove my brothers face in the toilet already.

cheers :clap:

schlongfingers
25-09-2004, 12:57 PM
mate if all you needed to was was access the folder, safe mode would have worked first time :D

Ah well glad you're sorted!

MangaFish
25-09-2004, 03:35 PM
mate if all you needed to was was access the folder, safe mode would have worked first time :D

he wouldnt have been able to back it up on to CD though as i doubt cd burning software runs in safe mode

278d7e64a374de26f==