PDA

View Full Version : INTERNET FORUMS ....ARE THEY WORTH IT????

davethedrummer
26-09-2004, 07:05 AM
well are they??
come on you lot, i wanna hear some answers positive and negative ....i need convincing now because i've been talking to some mates, and they think it's just a load of shit...and i'm beginning to agree with them.

AND DON'T GO OFF TOPIC PLEASE

many loves
d

John Vella
26-09-2004, 07:40 AM
I think it's worth it when there is constructive talk about music and exchanges of technical information and tricks used to achieve certain sounds.

Another HUGE positve is the network of international music friends that are created if the board is serious about music (like this one)

But when it comes to all this pointless arguing over what is proper techno and slagging certain styles of techno and blah blah blah then yes it is a huge battleship-sized load of shit.

-j

borisXHL
26-09-2004, 07:59 AM
they might be helpfull, treat them with distance and all is good, im payin my attention on positive and constructive things only, trying to avoid all this messup..

i dont know u agree with me but i think its matter of someones attitude, if person in REAL life trying to deal with EVERYONE convincin that this is good and this bad, me right you not - the same goes for forums, debates, waffles, and vice versa ;)

but i think the main thing, that many forums lack (and thats why i read only blackouts i think) is complete ignorance of the basic values like respect for each other, yeah it sounds trivial but thats it ! we are all human-beings (lots of people forget about that) and everyone should respect each other without fallin into patterns of estimating, like you were wrong and it WAS ME who was right, so i can treat you like shite.

cheers and :love:

Craig McW
26-09-2004, 10:31 AM
I think Forums as an idea are fantastic.

The problem in techno circles, is everyone loves their music so much it's almost like a religion. Techno fans, DJs, Producers etc argue their point like a christian would theirs, with vigor and faith. Which is great to see.... but really, when you can hide behind a computer screen, peeps think it's ok to criticize and de-value harshly.

I'm kinda over it myself. But I'll always check out the forums in the hope some positive conversation is occuring, and post when I feel compelled.

What shits me the most is if we could all stand together and support each other, even with our words, the strength of the scene would prosper again.

Let's face it, techno is the dogs bollox, regardless whether it's acid, hard, club detroit etc...

Craig is now departing his soapbox. Cheers :)

Miromiric
26-09-2004, 11:57 AM
this particular forum is very special to me. although 99% of posts makes me kill or laugh my ass of even, i met A LOT of wonderful people, who i continued to work with and even have succssesfull relationships and children later on in life.

MangaFish
26-09-2004, 12:39 PM
forums are a great tool, but no substitute for going out and meeting people in person. I think some people forget how to talk to people offline

I've met some great people i've spoken to on boards and been to superb club nights i would never have heard of if it wasnt for messagebaords. But obviously all these good experiences happened when i got of the net to visit people/clubs ;)

jonnyspeed
26-09-2004, 01:36 PM
Compared with watching TV and going to bed at 10pm - forums win hands down - well this one does - but yes you need to have a life, too.

basslinejunkie
26-09-2004, 02:07 PM
Compared with watching TV and going to bed at 10pm - forums win hands down - well this one does - but yes you need to have a life, too.

:lol:

personally i think they are worthwile,particulary this one.dont know about you guys/girls but i have learnt a great deal from you lot,and also been introduced to some quality producers which i mite not have discoverd if i didnt join this forum :cool:

Jimfish
26-09-2004, 02:43 PM
In theory they are great, but lately ive kinda lost the will to bother.. dont really know why - but i guess part is i just get the feeling like its all going round in circles.. a shame but i dont know how you can avoid that.

davethedrummer
26-09-2004, 02:54 PM
In theory they are great, but lately ive kinda lost the will to bother.. dont really know why - but i guess part is i just get the feeling like its all going round in circles.. a shame but i dont know how you can avoid that.
i know exactly what you mean.
i don't want to be negative because i actually love this place
but ................
are we being constructive??????
mark???your thoughts please?
are we just becoming the new techno elite (snobs / pussies whatever)
or is this 'group' really helping to hold things together???

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Tiptoe
26-09-2004, 02:56 PM
i think the problem lies with some people's way of transfering their passion over without being snobby or eliteist if you know what i mean

fatcollective
26-09-2004, 03:17 PM
I see what your saying with the snobby things going on...and no its not nice to see this sort of thing...but there are so many other positive things going on, which is obviously keeping eveyone interested. But there will always be snobby, people have different opinions on different things and thats what makes forums interesting (i think we have all had a snobby opinion on certain topics without realising we are actually being snobby)...different views from different poeple and of course not everyone is gonna be happy about some remarks......yes its does go round in a horrible circles. my opinion is that its good for some things to be said, shit for things that 'dont' need to be said, but unfortunately this will happen. Are forums a good thing though????? .... 'yes' for some things and 'no' for other things. I recommend that they should stay, for the positive side of things!

dan the acid man
26-09-2004, 03:41 PM
i first joined this forum for the technical tips, and now look, however many posts later and im still here. The thing about this board is, it does feel like a community, people are helping each other out, which is why i feel this forum is worthwhile.
Yes we go round in circles sometimes, and yes you get the mine is better than your's posts, but i forget about that when i see people offering constructive criticism in the files section, people helping out with software and hardware issues in the production section :cool:

Ritzi Lee
26-09-2004, 05:27 PM
i first joined this forum for the technical tips, and now look, however many posts later and im still here. The thing about this board is, it does feel like a community, people are helping each other out, which is why i feel this forum is worthwhile.
Yes we go round in circles sometimes, and yes you get the mine is better than your's posts, but i forget about that when i see people offering constructive criticism in the files section, people helping out with software and hardware issues in the production section :cool:

And in real life it's he same thing. :)

Anyway. I think a forum like this one brought the techno scene,
and especially the producers / labels closer together.

In the early days you only had to do with the people from your own place.
Like you UK guys are practically are each other neighbours.

Now we have people from UK, Netherlands, USA, or anywhere else,
asking each others opinions... This way the interaction is much bigger. And we have similar interests and so on....

DJ Becka
26-09-2004, 05:55 PM
I'm pretty new to this forum, and I have to say that I really like it. Where else would you meet people from all over the world with similar interests, that you might not otherwise meet anywhere else? It's good to be able to exhange ideas on everything from music, to just life in general....so no, I dont think having a forum is a load of shit....

dirty_bass
26-09-2004, 06:04 PM
Well, I can only really comment on personal experience and I would say yes, it is important.
This is the only forum I bother with really.
I`ve met a lot of great people, gotten a lot of sound advice, got label work, developed friendships that span the globe, have had good constructive crit and help on my productions, learned of new labels and producers and had a laugh.
Sometimes thigns can get a little heated, but this is no different from being at a club (of afterparty) and havin a healthy debate or banter.
Most of the crappy things that happen are easy to cope with if you just put it down to knuckle rubbing banter.

Kevin Gorman
26-09-2004, 06:05 PM
I think it's worth it when there is constructive talk about music and exchanges of technical information and tricks used to achieve certain sounds.

Another HUGE positve is the network of international music friends that are created if the board is serious about music (like this one)

But when it comes to all this pointless arguing over what is proper techno and slagging certain styles of techno and blah blah blah then yes it is a huge battleship-sized load of shit.

-j

agreed

Kevin Gorman
26-09-2004, 06:18 PM
but i also should comment as well. There are bad forums and good forums. This is the best forum i have ever found for the music I love! The problem is that there are so many forums these days without focus, basicly just for the hell of it. Out of all the forums I have tried and left, this one has been the only one that keeps me coming day after day!! I wouldn't have met the people I have and learned what I have today without this forum! Cheers Mark for running a great community.

MangaFish
26-09-2004, 06:31 PM
to be honnest, the answers we give are always gonna be biased as we clearly use messageboards. i would be interested to hear the opinion of someone who doesnt. infact i would be even more interested to hear their opinion (and if it has changed) on this subject after having used a messagebaord for a period of time

twieq
26-09-2004, 06:32 PM
If used well, fora are a good thing in my opinion. I use them as an information tool...I use the fora to see what's goin' on in the scene, to learn about producers, dj's, parties, equipment and so on and so on. In that way they are very usefull. I also learned to know a lot of people through the fora, so I think that's a good thing too. On the other hand, I think one should allways bear in mind that, how many users a forum may have, it's still only a small fraction of the "dance community".

You have to pick out the right fora too, becoz there really are crap fora too, where people who run them indeed think they are the new heroes just becoz they run a forum. And where you read nothing else than friends praisin' friends :roll:

But you ask big questions Dave, are fora constructive? In the way that they bring people together and have them helping out each other, I think yes, they are constructive. I don't think that they alone can push the scene in a certain direction, or give decisive injections or so. It stays additional.
But I have a feeling that's not the answer you are seekin'......

Dabble
26-09-2004, 08:50 PM
At the end of the day, when you've got a busy life, a family, kids, domestics to take care of etc. etc. a forum such as this one is priceless. I dont have the time to go round the record shops all day, so I come here to hear others views about whats going on vinyl wise & in techno land in general. The folk on here seem comitted & passionate about their techno which is vital to me as I take their views on board when I do purchase vinyl.

daviec
26-09-2004, 09:32 PM
The sheer amount and quality of music I've found through the BOA forum has astonished me. Like most forums there's a pile of crap to wade through some times, but the good stuff shines through. In the early days I used to read every single post that went up, but I'm much more comfortable now with skimming through the topics that look interesting.

I have no doubt the right forums are a good thing, but they can be addictive and sometimes things just get too serious.

I use three forums on a regular basis. This one, the infamous Inside Out, due to it being a great way to keep in touch with people I know but can't speak to regularly, and one covering my other interest, computers.

This forum is light years ahead of any I've seen just for the simple fact that the signal to noise ratio is very good in most topics.

dirty_bass
26-09-2004, 10:11 PM
Like any good conversation, how much you get out of it, relies on how much you put into it.

Col
26-09-2004, 10:20 PM
> henry. tell your mates to stop spending so much time on squatjuice. ;)

Col
26-09-2004, 10:41 PM
forums are great in terms of networking and promotion, and they also allow you to express & exchange opinions in a way not possible by any other means. how can that be a bad thing?

the only negative i can take from forums is the addiction factor. and as for the elitist remarks...i actually enjoy them (most of the time) they add a little variety, and they make me laugh. i dont want to read people kissing arse 24/7, lets give credit when its due, and dish out some jibes when time calls for it.

i love blackout audio.

jonnyspeed
26-09-2004, 10:45 PM
Like any good conversation, how much you get out of it, relies on how much you put into it.

Word! And equally, like any good relationship...

DJMAYA
26-09-2004, 10:48 PM
i think BLACKOUT is worth it.

This is the only forum i know of anywhere in the world that spans so many different views of techno and its the only one i bother to read.
It is priceless for me to hear that tunes im buying and playing are currently being played elsewhere in the world because in my country there aren't really any others playing it. So this makes me feel like part of the worldwide techno community. And we all need that feeling if you're in it for the right reasons. Its also great to be able to hear of parties happening around the globe, peoples response to tracks etc, and to keep a tab on what the producers are up.

I have got pissed at the Hard forum since we again created the Acid forum, because to me (IMO) its fuel for the purist fire which really makes me angry!!!

jonnyspeed
26-09-2004, 10:50 PM
the infamous Inside Out...

I though that forum was shockingly elitist and the moderators love to join with with abusing people who aren't in the gang. Not sure they have a very board opinion of techno on there - SUF collective is hard house apparently according to out celtic friends on Inside Out. Was not impressed, tbh. :shock:

snooch
27-09-2004, 12:38 AM
I think internet forums are great sources of information about music that isn't readily available locally. For instance, living in Texas, I don't get a chance to hear much acid or schranz. Through the forums, I can get opinions and preview tracks before I spend unreasonable amounts of money to order records only to think they suck when they get here. Also I can get info on local shows. I don't like most of the people I meet at local clubs, so I can pick and choose what nights to go to without having to hang out with self-impotant bores to get the low-down on good shows. I hardly ever go out feeling the cover I paid was wasted money.

On the otherhand, the addiction issue is an issue too. I've met a few people through message boards that seem to want to talk about social politics that happen on the boards in person. Who gives a shit! If your social life revolves around the internet, you have a little bit of a problem.

samba
27-09-2004, 01:14 AM
Yea I agree. Forums are great for creating international discussion communities. Which is especially beneficial for peeps like me in NZ and other areas where unfortunately techno isnt as prevalent.

Blackout is awesome, im only very new here but my knowledge of the whole deal has grown exponentially since coming here, and in turn i will be able to pass this on to others to help our own scene grow.

One of the best things is that people like yourself Henry actually take the time to post their opinions - which is vital as you are the ones that have created/strengthened this whole movement in the first place.

However, other forums especially, are often only places of arguement which are ultimately more detrimental than constructive. i.e the whole purist vs acid/hard techno thing that happens pretty much everywhere.

Go blackout, and everyone who comments here. Its nice to know whats goin on round the world, as it happens, in the scene that we all love and live.

TiagoTechnoHead
27-09-2004, 01:50 AM
An opinon from Brazil !!! Yeap , I think it really works !!!! With a forum I can share and discuss information .... I need this cause like a dj who loves Techno , i gotta know what´s other djs and producers are thinking and ....
Long life to Foruns !!!!!

PS: D.A.V.E. , I had a great time when u were on the turntables at Sonoro Party .... Hydraulix has a new fan !!!

MARKEG
27-09-2004, 03:19 AM
Right Davey you wanted my addition so here goes ;)

When I first found out about forums, I hated them, I really did. In fact, the way I think I first got involved in an internet forum was through some bloke slgging off my djing :) It never even crossed my mind to set one up. But one day I had a really serious computer problem and I posted on a great PC help forum and bang, I had six replys and everyone wanting to help me. I felt like such a great part of the community. What a feeling. People wanting to help you when they don't know who you are is magical. So far removed from what I'd felt on music forums.

So I thought how we'd do this on a music forum. And it was by making one simple rule: Respect. (I'd learnt that through Chrissi's family too :) ). So I set up an EZBoard and gave it go. It seemed to work. So much so a bloke from Canada called Sinner helped set up a PHP Board (now one of my best internet buddies!). And obviously the board has grown from there.

Now, 2 years down the line, and so so so many hours spent on this board later, I've realised this. Controlling a music board with one rule is a full time job. It's been an absolute nightmare sometimes. BUT this rule has worked. It's worked to the point that all that elitest crap that infects other music boards is not so big in this place. This the problem on the internet. Grrr....

Anyway, to me, most other music message boards really are only a way of inflating the owners ego and/or to promote the product that the board is about. I'm sorry to say that, it's bold statement, but I'm convinced it's true. I mean club boards really annoy me. Most have NO control or purpose. The reason why this board works is because a) we're all willing to help each other out no matter who we are b) we're all drawn together through a love of one thing: music. and finally (the most important) c) we have the rule that if we don't like each other's music then so what - have a chuckle, a sly dig but jesus christ let's not offer each other outside about it. It's a god damn computer for god's sake.

Now apply that to everyday life down the pub (ie a bunch of mates sat down, helping each other, enjoying a pint and not wanting to fight each other) and what do you have? A community. And that's surely a foundation for something that could, potentially be quite powerful. The key then, is surely to build that community and to make it into something that makes a change or does something useful. Which is, what we're all trying to do musically????? Well, I am anyway, hehehe...

Which brings me to the point of this post. Alot of people really love this board and I think it's time ot take it forward. Theres so many message boards out there now that I can understand ppl getting pissed off with them. Davey, you're saying are message boards worth it? Well I have to say most aren't. But those with a purpose are. I think we have one. A deep love of music and a respect and apppreciation of other people's music.

Davey you mentioned repeated posts and going over things 600 times. God I have this problem on forums. Well I learnt something from alot of the technical forums I visit, which is, you post the link to what you talked about in your post. Perhaps respectfully point out to newbies that there's a search button. I've been reading forum's recently and alot of people slate the hell out of you for not pressing the search feature. This just creates elitism!!! A nice point in the right way is surely the best way to go???!!

Look, the key to this is to avoid elitism. Elitism kills music, removes it from the people and destroys the purpose. It's so easy on a forum, for elistism to shine. Well not on here. I know after all this time, we're all just not going to let it happen. I really do.

TBH the only forum I care about is this one. And thank god it's my own. You want to see the new site I'm working on. More info soon.

Respect to you all for being a part of it ;)

If I wasn't loving Chrissi, I'd shag the lot of you. Hahahahha.

:lol: :lol:

connor
27-09-2004, 03:46 AM
well jus read the topic from start to finish made an interesting read.. but yeah i personally do think that msg boards r worth it wiv alot of points covered by every1 bout y we post ere is for the love of music etc... in general out of most boards i go on this is by far the best there is no hostility between members and most of all no bitching which can kill a msg board and make it not fun for the users.... yeah this is a serious music board and u can get great help on it from dj tips right through to reviews on new choons out. I mainly spend alot of my tim eposting in the hardstyle and hardtrance serious and insane boards bcoz they r wat appeal to me most, although i do read the other boards and have learnt alot mroe about techno in the past few months than i've ever known and wouldnt know if it wasn't for the use of a msg board.

so all in all if used properly msg boards r usefull and fun and also it introduces u to new ppl who then in turn u meet wiv wen out clubbing... so it gets my vote :clap:

daviec
27-09-2004, 10:03 AM
the infamous Inside Out...

I though that forum was shockingly elitist and the moderators love to join with with abusing people who aren't in the gang. Not sure they have a very board opinion of techno on there - SUF collective is hard house apparently according to out celtic friends on Inside Out. Was not impressed, tbh. :shock:

I use it coz lots of people I know use it, and it helpsme keep in touch, as I live in a different part of the country from them.

I rarely discuss techno on it, coz there are only a couple of members who actually know what they're talking about, and I find they rarely discuss techno there either.

But to be fair, and without wanting to tar a whole community with the same brush, a few of the people voicing opinions on the particular thread you're talking about were from this board :shhh:

And they weren't all "celtic" either :nono:

Si the Sigh
27-09-2004, 10:31 AM
This forum is worth it IMO. Other sites I used to post on I don't bother now. They are full of narrow minded people slagging everyone & everything off. This place however, I love. Its full of passionate people (read geeks! :lol: ) & constructive people. Everyone who I have met who posts here has been sound. This is a great place where like minded people can gather. I love it, and I will be here for a long time.

serox
27-09-2004, 11:34 AM
there are many music related forums i visit. i find them all very helpful in there own way. get good advice and pick up new ideas that are of intrest.

i dont like the talking behind peoples backs bullshit. which i think the more popular you are could be worse for your career.

The Overfiend
27-09-2004, 01:28 PM
This forum is worth it IMO. Other sites I used to post on I don't bother now. They are full of narrow minded people slagging everyone & everything off. This place however, I love. Its full of passionate people (read geeks! :lol: ) & constructive people. Everyone who I have met who posts here has been sound. This is a great place where like minded people can gather. I love it, and I will be here for a long time.
Could not have said it better myself Si.

Addict
27-09-2004, 02:31 PM
Why does this sort of topic always get posted in the techno forum, shouldn't it be in the serious forum?

Anyway that's not important, Blackout Audio is the first forum I ever went on and nothing else has ever come close. It's really opened my mind musically. I never used to be into techno now its all I buy, I've also found a new love for electro/breaks and acid techno. I beleive this forum sets a good example and i've tried to follow it ever since.

"I'll say one thing...
...it's been emotional"

I really think that you should give people who arn't into techno a chance to post their views coz they wont be looking in here...

davethedrummer
27-09-2004, 04:27 PM
thanks for the replies everyone.
i have checked out one or two forums elswhere and i've got really bored really quickly.
so i'm gonna stick around here for a while , this does seem to be the only forum that is worth it for me
i know it winds some people up , but i like being part of this community
because that's just what it is. a community.
and i think some of the opinions on here are really valid.

Dustin Zahn
27-09-2004, 06:15 PM
This forum seems to be the only one with some balls. Some of the people on here are quite funny and actually think their answers out. I think its important to at least keep one ear tuned at times because after all the people on this forum as well as others are a small sample of the actual record buying demographic. It should be important to see how other DJs/fans feel about music at the moment. listen to the streets, it works for hip hop.

romelpotter
28-09-2004, 12:20 AM
i have to say from a personal point of view, finding this board was a defining moment in mine and dave's history. At the time we had basically got sorted what we wanted to do, also what we rearlistically thaught we could achieve, and where we wanted to be in a years time.

We found out about this board only as a means to spam !! but we posted once to advertise our first gig, and after reading the threads/posts and the seeing the diversity on blackout. we have been hear ever since.

Through the people we have met on here and the people that have helped/joined in/invested time and money/laughed/puzzeled and genrally had a good feckin laugh with, we have been able to develop what was just a "hey i have an idea...lets start a night so we can dj in a club" to everything that is and will be hopefully for the next 10 years or so, the night "Subsonica".That to me is special and not something you would expect, just something you would like to believe in so, because of that, the community, the respect and the insane asylum !!
IMO yes its more than worth it

sash
28-09-2004, 12:58 AM
At the end of the day, when you've got a busy life, a family, kids, domestics to take care of etc. etc. a forum such as this one is priceless.

Spot on. This place is like a techno library or something.

gunjack
28-09-2004, 10:38 AM
there are those of us who should stay as far away from public forums as possible.

278d7e64a374de26f==