PDA

View Full Version : non-303 acid lines

Evil G
26-09-2004, 07:52 PM
what do you use to make acid lines if not a genuine tb303?

i haven't tried any of the clones or other dedicated acid machines. my best 303 immitations are currently coming from the nord rack2.

FILTERZ
27-09-2004, 09:39 AM
i used to use the 303`s in rebirth to do live pa`s (not brilliant, ok though). Most clones fall down in one way or another, generally though i have heard better emulations from software. This sounds a bit snobby but nothing sounds as warm and curly as a real one and that for me is a fact. I had two, sold them and then had to buy another because i couldnt get the sound i wanted anywhere else. ;) Try a few demo`s of software ones to see which best suits you, it kinda depends what sort of sound you want to achieve with it . There is a cheap module the fat freebass this is great for acid barks and stuff but not so good at the bubbly stuff , but has an input to the filter for audio and stuff. These are a bargain. ;)
I could waffle on but wont for now :lol:

FILTERZ
27-09-2004, 09:43 AM
ps . your Nord is probably just as good as any of these clones and certainly capable of nice acid lines and at least yours will sound slightly different (not a bad thing) to the usual 303 stuff. ;)

tocsin
27-09-2004, 07:25 PM
ps . your Nord is probably just as good as any of these clones and certainly capable of nice acid lines and at least yours will sound slightly different (not a bad thing) to the usual 303 stuff. ;)

Yeah. I'd just stick with the Nord. You'll probably find the software emulators to be just a bit lacking when you run the low-pass filter up high. I don't think it sounds bad necesarilly but it's definitely not the same. I've yet to find any software that makes any 303 sounds I'm 100% happy with but, at the same time, I'm not willing to shell out the bucks to get a real one either.

Evil G
27-09-2004, 07:56 PM
i'm actually quite ok with how the nord sounds. the only thing i wish it could do that is more 303 like is the glide. i think a real 303 opens the filter sooner when gliding between notes - something to do with the sequencer, not the synth. i think i can emulate this by hand tweaking the midi going to the nord, but it might be a chore.

i really started this thread because it seems like with acid sound on a bit of a rebound, it might be interesting to talk about alternative hardware.

my buddy has a future retro 777, and those can make a fine acid line. unfortunately, they are now out of production too. :doh:

thetonewrecka
27-09-2004, 08:05 PM
Even though the 777 is done, they have a new 303 synth coming out.

Check their site for the "Revolution". Bad name, but cool looking (and sounding from the samples posted) synth/sequencer.

http://www.future-retro.com/

acidchild
04-10-2004, 01:47 AM
The 777 is downright the closest clone next to the ML-303. I use a FreeBass 383. I like it. The filter is a but wet sounding, kinda like the 777, when sequencing it with Techno Toys' SEQ-303 software sequencer, it sounds great. I just record the sequences into my MMT-8 when i find something i like. But i also have a real 303 too...so i use that the most=o]

carltaylor43
04-10-2004, 03:34 AM
check this out

http://www.audiorealism.se/

dirty_bass
04-10-2004, 02:45 PM
I hvae about the best 303 clone you can get.
It`s a modified FAT 383, with a 24v Filter replacement, and a slightly different set up on the cutoff, the mod was done by an old friend.
The original 383 is phat, but the version I have just has a little more wumph now.
The accenting is perfect, I don`t think a nord will emulate this.

I`m actually thinking about selling this now, as I haven`t made any acid techno for a bout 3 or 4 years now.

dan the acid man
04-10-2004, 11:50 PM
It`s a modified FAT 383, with a 24v Filter replacement, and a slightly different set up on the cutoff, the mod was done by an old friend.
The original 383 is phat, but the version I have just has a little more wumph now.

I`m actually thinking about selling this now, as I haven`t made any acid techno for a bout 3 or 4 years now.

let me know if you are wanting to sell this ;)

acidchild
05-10-2004, 03:36 AM

Nice! Yea, i love my 383. I'd definatly LOVE to hear this one!

Jimfish
05-10-2004, 05:24 PM
yeah let me know too as im after a good 303 clone!

tocsin
06-10-2004, 06:57 PM
That Audiorealism VST sounds pretty good actually. The demo I just screwed around with for 1.5 sounds a lot better than the earlier releases. I still don't think it's quite worth 99 Euros but it sounded better than Rebirth at least, in my opinion.

j_s
06-10-2004, 08:52 PM
http://www.cd303.com/newwebsite/REINCARNATION.HTM

This sample based 303 vst sounds pretty interesting...
Don't know how well it would owkr in practise, but seems like it could be pretty convincing...

xfive
06-10-2004, 08:53 PM
I personally have gotten some insanely acidic sounds from my Evolver.
I _highly_ recommend checking one out ... and they are rather inexpensive too ;)

278d7e64a374de26f==