PDA

View Full Version : M-Audio BX8 Monitors

tekboi
27-09-2004, 09:52 AM
Hey guys,

I want to get my hands on a good pair of monitors for DJ use not production use, I dont really want to go for a pair of cheap hifi speakers, I want at least some good quality so I heard about these M_Audio BX8 (Biamplified monitors) that are about $700 (AUD), has anyone used them before, are they good? Will they be ok for dj use or are they only for production use, I just am looking for a sharper pounding sound rather than a deep hifi speaker sound. Or do people think I should just care a pair of any old hifi speakers for mixing and spend the extra money on production monitors hehe!

Thanks.

Jimfish
27-09-2004, 11:00 AM
2 of my mates have bought them and both of them blew them up!

whats 700AU? like £250?

id have a listen to the fostex PM-1's (ive got the PM-2's and i dont think you get much better for the dosh) and also listen to the new Mission SM6P's - havent heard them yet but im a big fan of mission Hi-fi speakers and at least you know you are going to get quality components unlike the m-audios/behringers/tapcos - all of which i would advise you skip...

FILTERZ
27-09-2004, 01:10 PM
k-rok have just brought out some reasonably priced actives,not heard em but they are meant to be good, also tapco do some that are nicely specced,listen before you buy may be good if impratical advice

JSEARLES2003
03-12-2004, 08:14 PM
I've got a pair of bx-8's.......

would deff reccomend them, really clean n punchy.
cant see how anyone blew them without really takin the p**s.
they are very accurate and extremly loud.
Buy a pair..... u would'nt regret it :lol:

dirty_bass
03-12-2004, 09:47 PM
turnkey.co.uk are doing a real good deal on tannoy reveal x. they would be perfect for DJ use, as they are real loud reference monitors, and are going for about 180 sterling for a pair

RDR
03-12-2004, 11:03 PM
Try the warfdale 8.1s (nearfield) or the 8.2 (midfield)

Heard them at music live in november and was happy with the way they sounded.

both are active and having heard a few nearfields in action i can confidently say that they sounded great. Transparent, rich and not too tiring in the nidrange.

this is my opinion, i havnt spoken to anyone else who has heard them, and i havent seen any tests, so... after 10years writing music i know i got some hearing damage....

The price was reasonable at the show, 169 for a pair of the 8.1 and 229 for the 8.2

warfdale make cones for B+W 'cept B+W paint theirs yellow.

Anyone got a view on them? im saving up for a pair and would appreciate a second opinion...!?

Thanks

dirty_bass
04-12-2004, 07:34 AM
Hmmm, the wahrfedales are more geared towards home cinema and I`m not sure they are flat enough to be used for good, clinical nearfield use. However wharfedale do do a good range of DJ specific home monitors that are worth a look.

RDR
04-12-2004, 08:42 AM
yes, most of the wharfdales are geared towards home cinema, but these are specifically made for production work.

Check this link.

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/d2/page/shop/flypage/product_id/4477

The monitors i have used professionally are

Alesis active mk 2
NS10m
MSP5s
Tannoy reveals
Tannoy midfield
Ego sys near05
Mackie 624s
Absolute 2
Absolute 1

Monitors i have demo'd

as above plus

Them Tapco ones
M audio BX5 (same cones as the near05s...)
Behringer Truth

The list isnt exhastive i know, but out of all of them i would certainly rate the Wharfdales somewhere very close to the 624s.

Im sure someone will disagree with this, but i challenge you to go and give em a listen and decide for your self.

dirty_bass
04-12-2004, 12:32 PM
I still love the absolute 2`s as a classic ns10 replacement, but hmmmm, those wharedales do look good actually.

Scott Kemix
04-12-2004, 11:48 PM
I first purchased a pair of absolute 2's for my studio, they were very loud, especially in the bass region where they seemed to be slightly coloured. I asked a few producers in the scene and they said to stay away from them for this very reason. :dontevengothere:
I would suggest Fostex Pm1's. I got a pair of these and they are wicked, they give out a natural sound and the frequency response is excellent.

dirty_bass
05-12-2004, 07:57 AM
Never found bass colouration to be a problem. Like any good nearfields, it`s takes your ears a good few months to "learn" them.
And having a good knowledge about soundsystems and how sound works at high volume is handy etc. Always test your tracks on a rig is the simple answer.
Absolute 2`s became the industry standard replacement for ns10`s in a good proportion of studio`s, and becuase I do more work than just techno, I wanted to be on some kind of level with the places I go.
If you are looking purely at dance music production, there are quite a few monitors that do the job however.

dirty_bass
05-12-2004, 12:22 PM
I have to say again, for DJ use, you can`t go wrong with Tannoy Reveal X.
They are large studio nearfield moniotrs with twin bass drivers, and go real loud without risk of damage, and are pretty comfortable on the ear.
http://www.turnkey.co.uk/tkweb/stockdetail.jsp?sku=TANN-REVEALX&context=WEB
at 140 quid for a pair, you just can`t complain.

dan the acid man
05-12-2004, 12:27 PM
the college that i work at used to have tannoy reveals in the dj rooms, they do sound good and you can listen to them all day without any problems.
By the way, this post is quite old, so im sure he's already bought something by now

RDR
05-12-2004, 12:28 PM
Never been keen on the tannoy series, but the REv X's dont look as bad as the others for sure.

as you say it is all about getting a good quality pair of nearfields and then finding out where the holes are in their range...

multiple testing on all sorts of speakers is defo the way to do it. in the car, on the hi-fi, on your mates hi-fi, on the cheap shit computer speakers etc etc etc. and most importantly a PA if thats what you are designing for....

dan the acid man
05-12-2004, 01:13 PM
he did only want them for dj use not production

Scott Kemix
05-12-2004, 01:49 PM
GOOD POINT!

RDR
05-12-2004, 03:30 PM
im ranting about production work..... :doh:

I used to use the absolute 2s for DJ work and loved em to death.

There is another option, the eltax range from richer sounds are cheap and loud, but still great sounding and not too intense on the ears.

The other option for purely mixing is getting a package deal from somewhere that does PA stuff.

150GBP will get you something thats not obscenely loud, but will replicate in scale what your mixes sound like over a larger PA (not totally, but up to a realistic point)

Plus you also get a pair os speakers that look naughty in your bedroom/living room/studio/garage etc etc etc... :clap:

:lol:

RDR
05-12-2004, 03:34 PM
GOOD POINT!

i went off on a tangent - true. :roll:

but whats wrong with talking about all sorts of uses for speakers....?

just my thoughts.

:bash:

Scott Kemix
05-12-2004, 05:37 PM
Was refering to the actual post being about monitors for dj'in, and not for studio work which i thought. All your feedback is excellent!

I will agree that the absoulte 2's are great if you are mixing, and not for nearfield monitoring. ;)

eyes without a face
05-12-2004, 06:48 PM
i have a pair of the Maudio's and have had no problems with them at all, far from it, since i have had them my production has improved no end and im really happy with them

if they blow up they blow up but ive been giving them a good whack and they are doing the job fine

j_s
06-12-2004, 01:45 AM
i have a pair of the Maudio's and have had no problems with them at all, far from it, since i have had them my production has improved no end and im really happy with them

if they blow up they blow up but ive been giving them a good whack and they are doing the job fine

Same here...

278d7e64a374de26f==