PDA

View Full Version : EQing

The Teknoist.
28-09-2004, 09:24 AM
Im wondering how everyone else on here eq's their tracks?

Where do you you like to put your drums etc?

FILTERZ
28-09-2004, 10:11 AM
I only ever reach for the eq if theres a problem with a sound.

The Teknoist.
28-09-2004, 11:30 AM
really? so you dont use the eq atall? What platform do you use?

twizted
28-09-2004, 11:50 AM
depends on the track but i like keeping drums low- mid range.
with other percussion filling in the gaps between mid and high.

i like really defined crispy hi hats so i use alot of hi range on them and have them
compressed. then when the ride cymbols drop i dont compress them and it seems
to work nice with crispy hi hats.

i send everything to the FX channels and eq each of them seperately
to get the sound i want. then i eq the master so nothing is out of proportion
and track sounds tight.

im using fruityloops at the moment and it seems to do everything i need it to do.

Mindful
28-09-2004, 08:43 PM
personaly I EQ almost everything it all depends what needs EQing(sounds obvious)i usualy take most bass freqs out of my hats and maybe boost the highs(if needed)this seems to make the hats brighter and clearer or boost the mid to give them a kinda crunchy effect.
im still working on my kicks and toms not to happy with the results most of the time I just play around till it sounds right to me.
messing with the EQs realy seems to improve the overall sound of my tracks.I rarely EQ the master as im usualy quite happy with the sound ive created with the channel EQs(slight contradiction)
plus compression helps obviously.
it also depends on the sounds your using ;)

FILTERZ
29-09-2004, 12:35 PM
really? so you dont use the eq atall? What platform do you use?

everything comes out of my sampler into a mackie 32-8 buss , i do use eq but i tend to use sounds that dont need to much tweaking on the desk,
however if something is a problem i tend to cut rather than boost eq.

The Teknoist.
29-09-2004, 04:24 PM
DOA
20 Hz and below - impossible to detect, remove as it only adds unnecessary energy to the total sound, thereby most probably holding down the overall volume of the track
60 Hz and below - sub bass (feel only)
80(-100) Hz - feel AND hear bass
100-120 Hz - the "club sound system punch" resides here
200 Hz and below - bottom
250 Hz - notch filter here can add thump to a kick drum
150-400 Hz - boxiness
200 Hz-1.5 KHz - punch, fatness, impact
800 Hz-4 KHz - edge, clarity, harshness, defines timbre
4500 Hz - exteremly tiring to the ears, add a slight notch here
5-7 KHz - de-essing is done here
4-9 KHz - brightness, presence, definition, sibilance, high frequency distortion
6-15 KHz - air and presence
9-15 KHz - adding will give sparkle, shimmer, bring out details - cutting will smooth out harshness and darken the mix

These are what i tend to go by, add yours and discuss.

detfella
29-09-2004, 04:27 PM
thats a nifty chart, thx!

BombJack
29-09-2004, 05:31 PM
Yeah - that is a handy chart for us guys who can't remember the frequencies.

Any other small eq tips to add??? I especially like the 250 Hz notch filter to add thump to the kick - well worth trying out...
Any more???

BombJack

The Teknoist.
29-09-2004, 06:20 PM
yeah id like to know some more like

60Hz with a Q of 1.4 -- Add fullness to kicks.
100Hz with a Q of 1.0 -- Add fullness to snare
200Hz - 250Hz with a Q of 1.4 -- Adds wood to snares
3Khz with a Q of 1.4 -- Adds atack to snare.
5Khz with a Q of 2.8 -- Adds attack to Kicks
7Khz with a Q of 2.8 -- Adds Sharpness to snares and percussion
10Khz with a Q of 1.0 -- Adds brightness to hats and cymbals[/quote]

BombJack
30-09-2004, 12:11 PM
Are all all these frequencies you mentioned to be applied with a notch filter??? I assume this is what you're talkign about.

Is it true that these frequencies are just a guide as the charactersitics of noises means that some of these won't apply or need to be slightly tweaked for best results??? Certainly, will be trying all these as well...

And many thanks.

BombJack

DJZeMigL
30-09-2004, 05:13 PM
Mainly use eq 2 cut bass or air out of any sound that doesn't us' em...

I rarelly use more than 5-7 db gain on any eq. I might do 2 corrct or bring out stuff I tend not 2 use narrow Q values anything abouve these rules just sound 2 bad 2 me ears most of times...

I try not 2 go crazy with eq. If I want a sound 2 stand out I'll use an analise tool, find it's frq, then add small notches 2 it's harmonics 2 make it more "hearable".. or if I want more bass I'll go for a sub-harmonic maybe!

Z

Evil G
01-10-2004, 12:57 AM
Mainly use eq 2 cut bass or air out of any sound that doesn't us' em...

I rarelly use more than 5-7 db gain on any eq. I might do 2 corrct or bring out stuff I tend not 2 use narrow Q values anything abouve these rules just sound 2 bad 2 me ears most of times...

I try not 2 go crazy with eq. If I want a sound 2 stand out I'll use an analise tool, find it's frq, then add small notches 2 it's harmonics 2 make it more "hearable".. or if I want more bass I'll go for a sub-harmonic maybe!

Z

i read something recently that said that if you emphasize the harmonics of a sound, you can actually cut the base frequency, and you will still hear it due to the psycoacoustic affect of hearing the harmonics. this opens up tons of possibilities. certain acoustic instruments, such as certain types of bells, exhibit this naturally.

The Teknoist.
01-10-2004, 10:31 AM
I use Equirium as apposed to the set eqs in Nuendo. Only just started doing that though tbh and yeah those eqs are just guidlines really. Each sound has its own sweet spot doesnt it but its around those areas really isnt it.

DJZeMigL
01-10-2004, 04:17 PM
"...i read something recently that said that if you emphasize the harmonics of a sound, you can actually cut the base frequency, and you will still hear it due to the psycoacoustic affect of hearing the harmonics. ...." by evil G...

m8 u've just found the "maxxbass" plug in secret! ;)

Z

Jimfish
01-10-2004, 10:51 PM
i use a lot of eq to make stabs out of other sounds like vocals etc.. i sometimes use 5 or 6 eqs to thier max just on one sound to totally transform it.. if i hear a frequency i like in a sound that i think has the potential to 'sing' i will use heaps of eq untill i can fish it out..
Dont use a lot on the more standard sounds though, just the upfront shit normally.
If you want to make hard techno its pretty much all about eq. Most of the sounds you hear are just drums with the **** eq'd out of them

Mindful
03-10-2004, 08:10 PM
good thread ;) keep it going people

278d7e64a374de26f==