PDA

View Full Version : Soulseek Program !!!

TiagoTechnoHead
28-09-2004, 05:20 PM
Ok ... I wanna talk and hear what u have to say about the Soulseek program !!!!!! Yeap , I know it´s cool and it´s works if u know how .... But, I see that many suckers (sorry Mark, but that´s the right word) are downloading every new releases, putting in a CD and playing all around with cdjs !!!!! Someone gotta do something about !!! Here in Brazil , its becomming normal and this happens with all Techno styles ... Actually , all eletronic music .... Solutions ??!! I really hope there is one, at least ....

borisXHL
28-09-2004, 08:05 PM
as far as punters contribute them (goin on them parties, booking and allowing them to play on parties) nothing will change BUT..
this is very particular situation i think down there in brazil - economical problems makes the most evil, high taxes (henry posted about it some time ago) which make tunes price alot overstated can explain it a bit..

cheers and :love:

jonnyspeed
28-09-2004, 08:32 PM
So long as people contribute to the scene in anyway they can then I think using MP3 off peer-to-peer networks is cool. If this means that a few 100 or 1000 people get to hear the tunes that wouldn't have otherwise then surely that's position. Brazil is a different situation to most other countries - from all accounts the tax and lack of high quality pressing facilities in an already less wealthy country causes people to do what's necessary.

If its just straight piracy and only sponges off the artists who provide the music they play then that's unfortunate. Mainstream use of pirate tunes of CD by soundsystems would be less tolerated in the party scene in London - but I'm not saying it wouldn't ever happen.

To be fair, I've seen Brazilian sets played by people who pirate stuff of the Internet or other people's CDs - simply because you can't buy some of the tunes over here. Nobody cares.

MangaFish
28-09-2004, 09:02 PM
putting the obvious money issues to one side...

imo finding that rare record is as much a part of being a DJ as beat matching and blending the tunes.

i really cant see who soulseek has done ANYTHING but bad for the dance industry.

neko
28-09-2004, 09:37 PM
i have to say i love my soulseek, its great for downloading mixes from my favourite djs that i wouldnt be able to find elsewhere.
as far as people downloading tunes and using them to play in sets goes, i do think thats a bit wrong.

DJ Becka
28-09-2004, 09:54 PM
i have to say i love my soulseek, its great for downloading mixes from my favourite djs that i wouldnt be able to find elsewhere.
as far as people downloading tunes and using them to play in sets goes, i do think thats a bit wrong.

I'll admit that I use soulseek too.....but for downloading sets of djs so I have stuff to listen to in my car. I think that any dj that downloads their shit and uses it for gigs-and I know people who do- is absolutely wrong.....but that's just me....it's one thing if you are getting promo material, then maybe, just maybe, I could embrace the cd technology, but if you are downloading and using it for gigs, you are essentially stealing from the artist who worked so hard to be able to release that record. :nono: Maybe I am wrong in thinking this way though? Would you prefer more people to hear your stuff, even if it was downloaded? Or would you rather them support the industry and actually BUY your record? Personally, the whole cd vs vinyl issue is something I feel strongly about.....just the whole idea of spinning cds doesnt seem right to me....I love the feel of vinyl in my hands too much to go to spinning cds-personally I dont even consider 'cdjs' to be real djs.....but that's a whole other topic altogether.....

MangaFish
28-09-2004, 10:10 PM
i would feel cheated if people were downloading my tunes and playing them out.

i think using distribution limitations as an excuse is a cop-out seeming as most online stores deliver world wide

FUSION
30-09-2004, 12:39 AM
I do agree but i think like boris said that in countries like brazil with a poor economy where records cost a fortune its not as bad, as if the djs didnt download the new tracks then due to high tax/usa they may not be able to afford them hence everyone getting sets of old tunes. places like brazil and venezuala clearly have massive techno sceanes so the djs need to keep up to date while at the same time being abble to afford rent etc.......... as for soulseek, emule is way better :dance:

TiagoTechnoHead
30-09-2004, 12:41 AM
:lol: Tanx all for the answers .... Everybody said at least one truth !!! We pay high taxes ... If I want some London Label , I have to buy it in the internet ..... The shops sell other styles, ok , I have to admit that some times , something appears, but it´s rarely !!!!!
So, we pay 60% in taxes ... Puts .... No comments !!!! We really have to love Techno cause it´s extremelly expensive !!!! I do not understand the Govern .... I can´t see a reason for so high !!!
Well, well ,well .... I have to admit too , that Soulseek is pretty good in downloding sets .... I use it too !!!
I think that lown taxes would solve the problem !!!!! It would be cheapper, a great diference ...
And I belive that more and more people gonna download and record ... One reason is really simple : it´s so easy ..... Make friends and enjoy ..

Techno for all

gumpy green
30-09-2004, 12:29 PM
soluseek is good for mixes etc but im a vinyl purist...simple.

just think if everyone was a techno pirate.....it could be the end???

support yer artist by buying the vinyl i say.

Fake DJ
30-09-2004, 01:45 PM
my general view on soulseek is it is awesome for live sets etc cos i dont really know where else to get them from tbh

i d/l singles as well but if i find a tune i like i buy it simple as, i think its ok to d/l tunes off it but if u like a tune on there or u are considering playing it out then u gotta buy it, imo, rules of fair trade!

imo mp3s sounds shite anyway sop i'd much rather buy the tune and rip it to wav for my cdj

thats jus my opinion though :)

Agent Orange NYC
30-09-2004, 01:52 PM
If you want to make big money off record sales, stop doing techno. If you want to make big money off techno, become a sick performer ie. amazing DJ or LIVE show. Harsh reality today.

The Overfiend
30-09-2004, 02:01 PM
If you want to make big money off record sales, stop doing techno. If you want to make big money off techno, become a sick performer ie. amazing DJ or LIVE show. Harsh reality today.
If you want to make big money off techno, don't make techno.
But I agree dj or pa to make the dough.

reality
30-09-2004, 08:30 PM
If You set consist fully on downloaded music then youre wack....if you have some made trax that you cant get pressed{money issues, label wars, whatever} then shit burn YOUR trax on a cd and mix them into your VINYL set....if you need a track that is out of print or so rare it cant be found other than download then yes but INCORPORATE it into your set......Im a very bias DJ when it comes to this becuz there are people getting bookings like crazy and they never bought a piece of vinyl or are to lazy to carry records or dont no how to spin and let the cd turntables do all the work, but im the "dinosaur" if you will..but i started djing because i fell in love with the whole art of actually feeling the vinyl and training my ears and because it was somethin that you can see...when you use cds or mp3s what are really doing setting up the mix before you even get to the venue....YAWN

CDs/ mp3's in certain cases like i said are ok....but i believe the cd/mp3 is the beginning of the demise of the dj if we dont act now.... :nono: go out and buy your ****ing music please [/u]

DJ Becka
30-09-2004, 09:01 PM
If You set consist fully on downloaded music then youre wack....if you have some made trax that you cant get pressed{money issues, label wars, whatever} then shit burn YOUR trax on a cd and mix them into your VINYL set....if you need a track that is out of print or so rare it cant be found other than download then yes but INCORPORATE it into your set......Im a very bias DJ when it comes to this becuz there are people getting bookings like crazy and they never bought a piece of vinyl or are to lazy to carry records or dont no how to spin and let the cd turntables do all the work, but im the "dinosaur" if you will..but i started djing because i fell in love with the whole art of actually feeling the vinyl and training my ears and because it was somethin that you can see...when you use cds or mp3s what are really doing setting up the mix before you even get to the venue....YAWN

CDs/ mp3's in certain cases like i said are ok....but i believe the cd/mp3 is the beginning of the demise of the dj if we dont act now.... :nono: go out and buy your **** music please [/u]

:clap:

reality
30-09-2004, 09:11 PM
im glad someone sees my point.... all takers welcome

doc12inch
01-10-2004, 09:50 AM
i download a tune to listen to it and make my mind up about it. if i like it i will go straight to the record shop or digi download site and but it - you have to support the artist as said before else it all goes to shit. :rambo:

also reading on one of the posts before about high taxes and shit. try digital download sites if u have a cdj there wicked - there are lots of places that do techno of all types - i got shitloads off www.audiojelly.com and www.trackitdown.net

enjoy ppl

doc12inch
01-10-2004, 09:53 AM
i download a tune to listen to it and make my mind up about it. if i like it i will go straight to the record shop or digi download site and but it - you have to support the artist as said before else it all goes to shit. :rambo:

also reading on one of the posts before about high taxes and shit. try digital download sites if u have a cdj there wicked - there are lots of places that do techno of all types - i got shitloads off www.audiojelly.com and www.trackitdown.net

enjoy ppl

i cant spell for toffee

BOXY
01-10-2004, 05:57 PM

Yeh i do the same as welli think soulseek is wikkid ive got some brilliant sets off there you can get almost an set you want off it but i doo agree that it is wrong to d/l singles but i mainly use it just for dj sets

Antinoise
01-10-2004, 09:52 PM
It’s great for getting obscure reason refills...

On the front of downloading tracks.. I don't know.. Two powers are at force.
Techno=Free Underground Party
The World as we know it = Capitalism
2 are at odds. One will eventually win and things will have to change with it. Typically Capitalism would win this battle….. However, since Techno strives to fly below the radar of society, it does not have the capitalist powers on its side.

I think people are right in the “ Performance” side of things though. I mean even now, the real money in selling records comes from the gigs you get because your name is plastered on records. Dj’ing is high profit margin job when you play-out regularly. Producing techno tracks (because of the time and expense) is not. ...Thus techno will still survive. The model just needs to be refined. In fact the more your tracks are copied around the more exposure you are getting=more gigs. Unfortunately, that ****'s producers that do not perform outside their studio...

There is also the whole conversation to me had about how people are tired of paying $10+ dollars for a record with one good track. Downloading is too easily justified. Bring on the iTunes 99cents downloads to techno for Christ sakes!

TiagoTechnoHead
03-10-2004, 08:39 PM
I don´t know if it´s totally correct, but more people download the tunes, more gigs will dj have ??!!! Maybe it´s make sense, but i´m not up in my mind about it !!!

neko
04-10-2004, 02:21 AM
my soulseek username is miss.amok
feel free to add me and take stuff off me.
i dont have a lot but im sure what i do have will be useful to someone when i am actually on :cool:

The Overfiend
04-10-2004, 02:36 AM
my soulseek username is miss.amok
feel free to add me and take stuff off me.
i dont have a lot but im sure what i do have will be useful to someone when i am actually on :cool:
http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/users/403a1caf_9331/1918/__sr_/77d3.jpg?phd2KYBBr9LCfcQ8
guilty

278d7e64a374de26f==