PDA

View Full Version : Ride Cymbals

duffdeal
30-09-2004, 08:20 PM
Does anyone out there know how some producers make their cymbals sound like one continous trebbly hiss rather than individual hits? Would love to know. Hope you know what I'm on about

heavy beats
30-09-2004, 08:30 PM
compression

and for some reason, it already sounds like that if you're pulling the sounds straight from the 909

duffdeal
30-09-2004, 08:33 PM
Can you expand on that at all ( the compression bit ). I have tried but the results have been far from ideal.

thetonewrecka
30-09-2004, 08:36 PM
Well, if you are cutting your samples, just remove the attack and paste them together...sizzzzzzzling.

duffdeal
30-09-2004, 08:38 PM
With say sound forge or something similar? I have never delved into the realms of pasting samples.

thetonewrecka
30-09-2004, 08:54 PM
Sure..soundforge, wavelab, cool edit, goldwave, whatever. If you have a sampler, chop it off in there, experiment with looping it and then sequence your specific rhythmic divisions while playing with loop length, loop range, etc. Punch it through some reverb to give some more "space" to those frequencies and resample it.

wrap your head in layers of aluminum foil and mic it up while a friend slaps you in the face with some nice hard 16th notes. That'll be sizzling too.

thetonewrecka
30-09-2004, 08:57 PM
I should've added that the compression works fine as you are simply trying to "stop" those attack transients from being audible and making you hear each specific "hit" of the cymbal. The sample chopping is a work around so you don't have to give up your compressor for the cymbals if you have other things you need to use it for.

But maybe you have a computer with 300 different software compressors in which case I'd recommend the aluminum foil face slapping. :-)

good luck!

duffdeal
30-09-2004, 08:58 PM
Cheers

loopdon
30-09-2004, 10:01 PM
Things I found on this Board an pasted together as a 'sticky' for myself:

Ridez:

:!: I read some where else I while back that one way to get ride symbals to kind of "ssssh" and ride across bars (I guess like a Ben Sims track) is to get a 909 ride to distort by having the channel fader turned right down, gain and treble right up, reduced attack and a little delay.

:!: hmm try with pitching down the ride and using a bit of reverb.

:!: compress the life out of it!! will help aswell...

:!: run yer rides through a compressor, and sidechain the compressor to your kick, so the rides will pump with the kick, and heavy compression will give em that distorted head slicing sound.

:!: Hey, if you don´t like to compress your 909 Ride, just open a Fruity Granulizer and stretch the ride out, it´ll work for sure.
And one more thing; try to find a Ride sample with very long release time and skip to cut it when you step it out.

:!: yeah some nice long reverb i tend to use and a little drive, keep them as low as possible too but without losing the effect.

:!: yeah try putting another small hat pattern on top of your normal ones - just stick a few in and put a ping pong delay on em - add a wee bit of top end distortion and filter em right up so they are very very thin - then turn the vol up a bit so you can hear it again & maybe add a reverb lightly and that will open things up somwhat for you

:!: Heavily limit a ride. Sidechain the limiter (or compressor) to a kick so it pumps and fizzes. Plenty of verb too. I think thats what you are aiming for.

:!: 909 ride + treble, -mid, ickle compression/distortion, maybe ickle reverb. Done.
Don't sit it too high in the mix.

:!: i was just gonna reccomend compressing the hell out of a long ride cymbal. boosting the level of the sound as its supposed to be dying out should give it a hissing effect, especially if you over compress a little bit and get that whoosy noise added in....

:!: I found taking the attack off the front of the ride also works well. Sort of decline the ramp until each ride blends with the other.

:!: Yeah, do what bub said. Take some attack off the ride, whack the gain up to maximum (assuming you're using an analogue desk), set treble to maximum, and also mid if you have a sweeping mid, and set the sweep to the top. Then as apus said keep the fader quite low.

:!: Tuning the ride quite high can help too.

:!: distort - reverb - compress the shit- eq ...

:!: compress, distort 2 fizzle, cut a lot of the "bass" with eq!... also use a very busy and repetitive sequence... U might add a little verb 2!

hope that helpz!

loopdon

duffdeal
30-09-2004, 10:11 PM
Jobsagoodun

Evil G
01-10-2004, 12:52 AM
something else to try is reversing the sample.

scienceofuse
01-10-2004, 05:36 PM
Maybe try putting the ride hit on the odd steps (1,3,5,7 etc.) in the drum sequencer instead of just going for the off-beat (3,7,11 etc.)... Worx 4 me! Oh yeah, and like the guys said, compression really helps too. :lol:

Jimfish
01-10-2004, 10:46 PM
:!: I read some where else I while back that one way to get ride symbals to kind of "ssssh" and ride across bars (I guess like a Ben Sims track) is to get a 909 ride to distort by having the channel fader turned right down, gain and treble right up, reduced attack and a little delay.

:!: compress the life out of it!! will help aswell...

:!: run yer rides through a compressor, and sidechain the compressor to your kick, so the rides will pump with the kick, and heavy compression will give em that distorted head slicing sound.

:!: yeah some nice long reverb i tend to use and a little drive, keep them as low as possible too but without losing the effect.

:!: Heavily limit a ride. Sidechain the limiter (or compressor) to a kick so it pumps and fizzes. Plenty of verb too. I think thats what you are aiming for.

:!: 909 ride + treble, -mid, ickle compression/distortion, maybe ickle reverb. Done.
Don't sit it too high in the mix.

:!: i was just gonna reccomend compressing the hell out of a long ride cymbal. boosting the level of the sound as its supposed to be dying out should give it a hissing effect, especially if you over compress a little bit and get that whoosy noise added in....

:!: distort - reverb - compress the shit- eq ...

:!: compress, distort 2 fizzle, cut a lot of the "bass" with eq!... also use a very busy and repetitive sequence... U might add a little verb 2!

hope that helpz!

loopdon

yep, thats about the gist of it..

plus you can try adding distortion to only the higher bands after compressing it..

also try putting a heavily distorted, very compressed and a fair bit reverbed ride in the background subtly behind a main one, that'll smooth it out for sure

acidchild
04-10-2004, 01:41 AM
The thing is...the 909's Ride already sounds like this naturaly. Throw it on all 16 steps. There ya go=o] Werks for me!

loopdon
05-10-2004, 11:26 PM
ridez rock :rambo:

Craig McW
06-10-2004, 02:41 AM
I found also that some filters can add sizzle on top of your compression and reverb to a nice ride.

Internal Error Records
06-10-2004, 02:55 AM
if you are using samples - try triggering them in 'note off mode' or 'mono' instead of playing them in 'poly' which is often the default setting on akai's or often the only setting on softsamplers. (score one for hardware:-)

play in mono rapidily, butt them up to eachother. not spaced out.

AcidTrash
06-10-2004, 03:08 AM
i wouldn't listen to him. what do yanks know about techno???? ;) :p

acidchild
06-10-2004, 04:22 AM
OI! I resemble that remark!

Internal Error Records
06-10-2004, 04:27 AM
i wouldn't listen to him. what do yanks know about techno???? ;) :p

hey now. dont make me flyer over to the UK (and have to eat that awsome curry chicken that British Airways serves. mmmm) Just to have to kick your butt. heheheh

thetonewrecka
06-10-2004, 03:14 PM
Buy 16 different ride cymbals from the second hand music store and tie them on a rope at exact distance so each cymbal is just barely touching each one next to it - no gaps. Now tie the end of the rope to your dirt bike and pedal at exactly 141 bpms down a bumpy gravel road. Make sure a friend is running alongside with a mic to record the precision.

loopdon
06-10-2004, 04:13 PM
aaaahh fuk the shut up :nono: :lol:

loopdon
06-10-2004, 04:24 PM
@everybody: how do you eq your rides? do you hipass them (i sure do)
and if so, where do you set the cutoff? notches? i don't know how much i should eq the rides in the +10 khz area? how loud should they be as I think mine are often a little to loud???

what kind of 'general settings' do you apply (staying the same from tune to tune)?

in addition to that: which frequencies do you emphasize? use of de-esser?
low pitched/ hi-pitched /depends?

i really am into rides and curious to gather useful info
:oops:

so please go ahead and share your knowledge as it is greatly appreciated :love:

Ritzi Lee
06-10-2004, 04:36 PM
take a mid band with a small Q.
peak it up, and play with your frequency ajustment.
you eventually will hear the frequency you want to tweak.
make the Q band a little bit bigger, and gain down the volume of the midband a little bit. voila, your rides are singing!

loopdon
06-10-2004, 05:00 PM
tanks a lot, ritzi! :clap:

Dj Dazel
08-11-2004, 08:07 PM
One thing I don't understant is if I have a 909 ride how I can make a good rhytm with only one velocity because its just sound like 16 time repeated !

Sorry if you don't understand but english is not my fisrt language

Evil G
08-11-2004, 09:22 PM
One thing I don't understant is if I have a 909 ride how I can make a good rhytm with only one velocity because its just sound like 16 time repeated !

sidechain compression against the kick can make the hats seem to move up and down. and swing will make them move side to side.

Dj Dazel
09-11-2004, 01:03 AM

sidechain compression against the kick can make the hats seem to move up and down. and swing will make them move side to side.

what do you mean by sidechain compression ?

Evil G
09-11-2004, 01:08 AM
sidechain compression is when you use a different sound to trigger the compressor than the sound being compressed. so in this example, you could have the ride come into the compressor's input, and the kick come into the sidechain. whenever the kick hits, the compressor will attenuate the level of the ride. fiddle with the attack and release to get it bouncing along the way you want.

loopdon
09-11-2004, 10:28 AM
do you put swing/delay on yer rides.... ?

could anyone post some nice ride samples...

Louk
09-11-2004, 10:35 AM
Buy 16 different ride cymbals from the second hand music store and tie them on a rope at exact distance so each cymbal is just barely touching each one next to it - no gaps. Now tie the end of the rope to your dirt bike and pedal at exactly 141 bpms down a bumpy gravel road. Make sure a friend is running alongside with a mic to record the precision.

HAHHAHA that is amazing advice!!!

Louk

loopdon
01-08-2005, 09:11 PM
push, so i don't have to look. maybe we could create stickies for various instruments/bass etc...?

Dave Elyzium
01-08-2005, 09:57 PM
Sure..soundforge, wavelab, cool edit, goldwave, whatever. If you have a sampler, chop it off in there, experiment with looping it and then sequence your specific rhythmic divisions while playing with loop length, loop range, etc. Punch it through some reverb to give some more "space" to those frequencies and resample it.

wrap your head in layers of aluminum foil and mic it up while a friend slaps you in the face with some nice hard 16th notes. That'll be sizzling too.

or change the sample start time in your sampler for a quicker fix

Dave Elyzium
01-08-2005, 09:59 PM
sorry shold have read all the other replies first lol

do i need a certain type of bike or rope for that method thetonewrecka?

Louk
02-08-2005, 01:10 AM
sidechain compression rocks!!!

Louk

tekara
03-08-2005, 07:30 AM
i too usually have problems with the ride cymbal thinggies....

i guess it really does come down to finding the right samples as well....

chopping off the attack definately helps and lots of EQ

audioinjection
03-08-2005, 03:25 PM
what is it about those damn 909 rides in techno, that just kicks ass??

i think i over use it haha

Patrick DSP
03-08-2005, 03:54 PM
pitch your ride up by 2semi-tones and have it hit on every 1/8th note add a little bit of compression and reverb, and that should do it.

loopdon
04-08-2005, 06:36 PM
nice tips. keep this thread going :lol:

278d7e64a374de26f==