PDA

View Full Version : Q: Whats the quartz lock button on 1210's MK3 & 5 for?

Si the Sigh
01-10-2004, 11:15 AM
Q: Whats the quartz lock button on 1210's MK3 & 5 for? :?:

Does it have any use? If so, could someone explain what please.

Hakka
01-10-2004, 01:45 PM
Q: Whats the quartz lock button on 1210's MK3 & 5 for? :?:

Does it have any use? If so, could someone explain what please.

There is no quartz lock button? there's a pitch reset button, which when pressed puts the pitch (no matter where it is) back to 0.

Hakka
01-10-2004, 01:46 PM
Not sure what use it really has. I know it removes the "click" that you normally have when you roll over the 0% part wit the pitch, what use the button is for I dunno. A lad I knew use to half press it to use it as a sort of pitch bend once, but not sure what else you can use it for... any ideas?

Barely Human
01-10-2004, 06:35 PM
On technics, they have always used Quartz to keep the platter spinning bang on time. Just like how a quarts watch works. On the mark 2, if you put the fader in the middle, then the quartz lock will come on and the turntable will be spinning at exactly 33, or 45 rpm. Because of the way they did it on the mk 2, it caused many problems for mixing, for one, the click is annoyng, and also if your decks arnt perfectly calibrated, or have been deliberatley sped up, then when you pass the slider over the quarts lock, it will drastically speed up or slow down the platter.

To overcome this, they removed this function from the actual slider itself, and made a seperate button for it. If the quarts lock is switched off, the the pitch slider will work as normal. If the quartz lock is switched on, the the pitched slider is bypassed and wont work at all, the turntable will just play at exactly 33, or 45 rpm...

Barely Human
01-10-2004, 06:37 PM
Double post...

Yoshimitsu
01-10-2004, 08:50 PM
on mine its just labelled a reset button

Louis Theroux
02-10-2004, 04:33 AM
On the mark IIs can the click at 0% b removed??

Barely Human
02-10-2004, 08:32 AM

I think it can, not sure how to do it tho :neutral:

Si the Sigh
05-10-2004, 10:24 AM
On technics, they have always used Quartz to keep the platter spinning bang on time. Just like how a quarts watch works. On the mark 2, if you put the fader in the middle, then the quartz lock will come on and the turntable will be spinning at exactly 33, or 45 rpm. Because of the way they did it on the mk 2, it caused many problems for mixing, for one, the click is annoyng, and also if your decks arnt perfectly calibrated, or have been deliberatley sped up, then when you pass the slider over the quarts lock, it will drastically speed up or slow down the platter.

To overcome this, they removed this function from the actual slider itself, and made a seperate button for it. If the quarts lock is switched off, the the pitch slider will work as normal. If the quartz lock is switched on, the the pitched slider is bypassed and wont work at all, the turntable will just play at exactly 33, or 45 rpm...

Nice one mate. Thanks for the info. Its a pretty pointless button really then.

Carl Bailey
21-12-2004, 11:39 PM
i was always under the impression its for recording from vinyl onto cd as it will keep the record playing at a constant speed.

ideal if you are gonna use the cd on a cd deck.

drudles
22-12-2004, 07:20 PM

I think you can replace the mk2 pitch slider with a mk3 or mk5 slider and you won't have the click any more

Barely Human
22-12-2004, 11:03 PM

I think you can replace the mk2 pitch slider with a mk3 or mk5 slider and you won't have the click any more

I dont think its in the actual slider. I think there is a little switch that it touches above the actual slide rail.

Carl Bailey
22-12-2004, 11:03 PM
im pretty sure that the pitch from a mk5 is longer so it cant be used.

not sure about the mk3s tho.

would love to get rid of the click on my mk2s aswell.

Traxx
22-12-2004, 11:05 PM
The click is annoying.

jesus
23-12-2004, 12:34 AM
this is what you're looking for

http://info.bergenteknomafia.com/tech/1200pitch/

Barely Human
23-12-2004, 12:35 AM
http://www.mio.co.za/article.php?cat=dj&id=238&pagenumber=2

It shows you in there how to remove the quarts lock, but not the click. It does get rid of the double 0% problem tho, but i wouldnt recomend getting rid of the quartz timing becase the way technics compesnsate for the speeding up and slowing down of the platter is half of what makes them so special. Plus yu will of acustomized yourself to these changes - IE - if you need to slow your track down, you actually slow it down more than it needs becase the turntable speeds it back up a bit more. Doing the second bit will eliminate this, and probably make your mixing go wierd for a while. I dont see a problem with the first part tho, i might try it myself and see how it is...

Carl Bailey
24-12-2004, 12:29 PM
let me know if anybody tries any of the mods as am interested in doing it.

just dont feel confident enough to be the first person to have a go at it.

Milesy
24-12-2004, 01:13 PM
ive done this mod to remove the 0% click on my mk2's

http://music.hyperreal.org/dj/pitch_slider/

Carl Bailey
24-12-2004, 03:44 PM
is it worth doing it?

278d7e64a374de26f==