PDA

View Full Version : mac or pc??

anx
05-04-2003, 12:04 AM
im going to be getting a laptop and using software as my studio until a get a grasp on how to do everything (plus get more money)

im leaning towards pc

but what kind of laptop would you get and why??

Orange
05-04-2003, 09:44 PM
In general, PC's own a larger share of the consumer market. Something like 90% of all computers are pc and 10% are Mac. I don't imagine anyone will vote for a computer that they do not own or use, so your poll is probably going to reflect the market. My advice is to do some "hard" research on the pro's and con's of both types and then make a decision. There are many good reasons for choosing either. Your choice ought to reflect your own good reasons.

4play
06-04-2003, 03:44 AM
Well said :wink:

Basil Rush
06-04-2003, 12:41 PM
With music, assuming we ignore the difference in price Mac or PC comes down to a) what do your mates have and b) what software do you want to run on them. If you wanna run Logic Audio or Protools I'd go with the Mac, if you are running stuff that was developed with the PC in mind then go with the PC.

Laptops are funny things though ... relability becomes a new issue. I've had three in the past four years (PCs, Toshiba, Fujitsu, Dell) all of which have died of some kind of powersupply/battery/general rebooting problem and I don't even take them out of the house much. Luckly work pays for them.

MARKEG
08-04-2003, 11:53 PM
I would go mac all the way - IF - i could get the software as easy as pc (you know - the try before you buy type)

2 main probs - it doesn't have soundforge

and it doesn't have acid.

that's a big prob for me.

but as far as stability goes, my osx on a powerbook g4 is amazing. the best os i've ever used. love it.

dj_switchblade
09-04-2003, 12:47 AM
get a mac!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! pc's are so unreliable!!!! mac's are so much more stable for music production!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! p.s invest in g4!!!!!!!!!

Basil Rush
09-04-2003, 01:14 AM
Try before you buy on a Mac with Limewire and Guntella. Soundforge, use Spark XL or Cooledit pro instead, Spark XL looks like it might be as good.

In some moment of madness I bought all the software in the end. Never did that when I had a PC, but where the hell do you keep all the boxes...

278d7e64a374de26f==