PDA

View Full Version : MIDI Controllers and REASON - Radium vs Edirol?

sundrop
04-10-2004, 11:22 PM
Hey all

I'm making psytrance/techno music with Reason under the name Sundrop.

Just today I picked up a Radium 49, but I'm having some issues. Whats really bugging me is that REASON doesnt seem to be friendly to Midi controllers.

I succeeded to get the knobs and sliders to map to the Reason device. But then when I want to use the keyboard on another device, say to switch from a Subtractor to Malstrom (or even from one Sub to another Sub)... Reason doesnt support this at all!! I have to remap the knobs/sliders every frickin time... very frustrating and time consuming. To top it off the menu button is busted on the keyboard! So I have to take it back. :eh:

I can trade the Radium49 for an Edirol PCR 30... apparently the PCR can switch between Reason instruments much easier via its memory bank (or something) I havent used it so I'm not sure. Does anyone here use the PCR models? What do you think of them.

My question to you guys:

Is the PCR30 a better choice than the Radium49?

thanks
dave

DJZeMigL
07-10-2004, 04:23 PM
The radium also has the ability 2 record some user knob patches- p1 to p5 I think...
Just read a little bit on it's small manual!
Also check if reason has default midi CC numbers for each of it's intruments if so just configure radium acording 2 that and save it!

Also I think u can make each instrument respond 2 a diferent midi channel and just change that in radium...
U can make yer own empty template (with just instruments already configured)... what reason is missing is a simple "Clone Instrument" option but maybe if u copy the patch it will also workthis way, so u'd only need 2 create all the mid config for all the instruments and save that inicialized but configured patch as cc template 2 start with everytime!

PCR should b easier for the fact that u can record and make yer knob sets much easier (also has some already donne)...

let us know if any of this helpz!

Z

278d7e64a374de26f==